Red wasps got me moving quicker this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
One of my cousins husbands has decided to get some baby chickens I told him he could use one of my brooders so he wouldn't have to spend the extra money and time building one walked out to my barn moved a couple boards in front of it when they hit me flying spawns of satan are everywhere still don't see the nest but when I do I will go to war

There are actually people who think these flying devils are beneficial.. I suppose at times they can be, but no one is going to talk me into leaving a nest anywhere around my house and barn.
Remember, simple soapy water kills them dead in seconds. Just fill a cup with water, add one drop of soap, like Dawn....throw it on the nest full of wasp and then watch them drop and die in pain..lol… I've even used old dish water.... its amazing at how good it kills them.

Country boys will do about anything for excitement. Many years ago when I was a youngster we would take a side of a wooden apple crate and split it down to about 2 inches. Carve a handle on the 2 inch board stir up a wasp nest and bat them out of the air. Did we get stung yep but we did it anyway.

Here it's yellow jackets, and the worst part is they HAVE to raid your picnic and won't leave you alone... they have some MASSIVE underground nests, stumbled into a few of them over the years and it sure gets you moving... Once I bumped into an old stump that was full of them, didn't notice I had riled them until one got me on the neck.. was about 5 more stings before I got my arse out of there
That night I visited them with a sprayer full of diesel.. No stump, no wasps in the morning

We have some black hornets here too, they hurt like hell if they sting, but unless you bump their nest (usually in a bush), they leave you alone

Both the hornets and the yellow jackets ARE good at cleaning up caterpillars on veggies, and they also get gnats and flies off the cows

Here it's yellow jackets, and the worst part is they HAVE to raid your picnic and won't leave you alone... they have some MASSIVE underground nests, stumbled into a few of them over the years and it sure gets you moving... Once I bumped into an old stump that was full of them, didn't notice I had riled them until one got me on the neck.. was about 5 more stings before I got my arse out of there
That night I visited them with a sprayer full of diesel.. No stump, no wasps in the morning

We have some black hornets here too, they hurt like be nice if they sting, but unless you bump their nest (usually in a bush), they leave you alone

Both the hornets and the yellow jackets ARE good at cleaning up caterpillars on veggies, and they also get gnats and flies off the cows

Much like here. Hate the yellow jackets with a vengeance. Nasty beggars. Traps go up first thing in the spring. Sounds like your black hornets are similar to our paper wasps. Given the opportunity make gigantic cone shaped papery nests in branches. Like you noted...Pretty benign unless bumped. Interesting factoid...its suggested not to knock these nest down after they've vacated because it's presence helps to deter other far more aggressive species the following season.

I got blasted by what we call a bell hornet this morning...I think some folks call em Japanese hornets.....went out the front door in the dark and about twenty five of them were congregated at the window above the door...one of them greeted me on my neck right under my jaw.....I went to the barn and got a can of spray and got most of them...seven hours later it still stings a little...

I bought three old houses in Glen Rose. Rentals. The wife was out by a shed of one and a wasp buzzed her head. She swatted at it and they all came at her. She can still run. I can still run too. We were in her truck so I didn't have ammonia. Two got her on her shoulders. We ran to the dollar store and I bought a jug of ammonia. I dabbed the ammonia on her and the pain ceased immediately. She had never seen the miracle of ammonia.

We have now found 4 nests total. I'm going to suit up in my bee suit before I do battle and I am going to kick their backsides.

How 'bout the Tarantula Hawk? Those things scare the bejesus outta me!!! First time I saw one was when we were still in TX, dragging a tarantula across the back yard (pic at the bottom). Much to my dismay, we have them here in KS. Evil, vile creatures!

From desertusa.com:

Tarantula hawk stings are considered to be the most painful of any North American insect. Christopher Starr wrote an article entitled, "A Pain Scale for Bee, Wasp and Ant Stings." On a scale of one to four, Pepsis formosa was one of only two insects to rate a four. This compares with a one for a Solenopsis xyloni (desert fire ant), two for a Apis mellifera (honey bee) and three for a Dasymutilla klugii (velvet ant).

One researcher described the tarantula hawk's sting this way: "To me, the pain is like an electric wand that hits you, inducing an immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations. The pain for me lasted only about three minutes, during which time the sting area was insensitive to touch, i.e., a pencil point poked near the sting resulted only in a dull deep pressure pain."

Tarantula wasps are unusual in the severity of their stings. Generally, it is the more social insects that deliver the most painful stings because they have a large nest to defend. Researchers hypothesize that the Pepsis as well as the Dasymutilla have evolved such painful stings because they spend so much time out in the open, exposed to potential predators.

Although painful, the Pepsis sting is not especially lethal. It rates a 38 on a lethal capacity scale. This compares with 5.9 for a Dasymutilla klugii, 54 for a Apis mellifera, and 200 for a Pogonomyrmex maricopa (a desert-dwelling seed-harvester ant).

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/insects/tarantula-hawks.html#ixzz5zDaHHTju

TCRanch said:
How 'bout the Tarantula Hawk? Those things scare the bejesus outta me!!! First time I saw one was when we were still in TX, dragging a tarantula across the back yard (pic at the bottom). Much to my dismay, we have them here in KS. Evil, vile creatures!

From desertusa.com:

Tarantula hawk stings are considered to be the most painful of any North American insect. Christopher Starr wrote an article entitled, "A Pain Scale for Bee, Wasp and Ant Stings." On a scale of one to four, Pepsis formosa was one of only two insects to rate a four. This compares with a one for a Solenopsis xyloni (desert fire ant), two for a Apis mellifera (honey bee) and three for a Dasymutilla klugii (velvet ant).

One researcher described the tarantula hawk's sting this way: "To me, the pain is like an electric wand that hits you, inducing an immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations. The pain for me lasted only about three minutes, during which time the sting area was insensitive to touch, i.e., a pencil point poked near the sting resulted only in a dull deep pressure pain."

Tarantula wasps are unusual in the severity of their stings. Generally, it is the more social insects that deliver the most painful stings because they have a large nest to defend. Researchers hypothesize that the Pepsis as well as the Dasymutilla have evolved such painful stings because they spend so much time out in the open, exposed to potential predators.

Although painful, the Pepsis sting is not especially lethal. It rates a 38 on a lethal capacity scale. This compares with 5.9 for a Dasymutilla klugii, 54 for a Apis mellifera, and 200 for a Pogonomyrmex maricopa (a desert-dwelling seed-harvester ant).

Step on a cow ant barefoot! They are actually wasp they will dang near paralyze you it hurts so bad.

https://texasinsects.tamu.edu/red-velvet-ant-or-cow-killer/

ALACOWMAN said:
Those cow ants make a squeaking noise when you step on one ...and you bout have to beat it with a ball peen hammer to kill it ..

Yup. We call 'em cow killers. Even on cement I've had to literally jump on them and finally grind 'em into the ground with the heel of my boot.

Caustic Burno said:
TCRanch said:

From desertusa.com:

Step on a cow ant barefoot! They are actually wasp they will dang near paralyze you it hurts so bad.

https://texasinsects.tamu.edu/red-velvet-ant-or-cow-killer/

No, thank you!!! I can't imagine stepping on one barefoot. Dinky little fire ants will take me out of commission.

never been stung by a tarantula hawk and we have tons of them around here, never heard velvet ants called cow ants but we have them too - never been stung by one. now harvester ants - oooodogie! they hurt like a son of a gun. ouch. make bees and wasps seem like a little poke.

bark scorpions are kind of in the middle, unless they get you on the neck or face they mostly just make you mad, because it is almost always at night in bed. they feel like an electric shock for a day or two after if you touch it. the sting is kind of like a wasp but you levitate out of bed because you know what it is and that it is going to get you again if you can't get out of the way and kill it first. hate waking up that way.

the worst thing I have ever felt was a sting ray sting - and that was barely zapped on my baby toe. hurt for a couple hours, had me rolling around in the sand moaning and groaning. then it stopped and nothing.

surprised I have never been snake bit, I always thought we had a lot of those bastids until I read here how many Dave sees!

Hippie Rancher said:
never been stung by a tarantula hawk and we have tons of them around here, never heard velvet ants called cow ants but we have them too - never been stung by one. now harvester ants - oooodogie! they hurt like a son of a gun. ouch. make bees and wasps seem like a little poke.

bark scorpions are kind of in the middle, unless they get you on the neck or face they mostly just make you mad, because it is almost always at night in bed. they feel like an electric shock for a day or two after if you touch it. the sting is kind of like a wasp but you levitate out of bed because you know what it is and that it is going to get you again if you can't get out of the way and kill it first. hate waking up that way.

the worst thing I have ever felt was a sting ray sting - and that was barely zapped on my baby toe. hurt for a couple hours, had me rolling around in the sand moaning and groaning. then it stopped and nothing.

surprised I have never been snake bit, I always thought we had a lot of those bastids until I read here how many Dave sees!

Stingrays are bad to the bone literally!
Seen holes rotted out in muscles that never healed right. I used to work the culling box on dads shrimp boat. I was as scared of stingrays as if were a African lion. Always had Adolf's meat tenderizer for jelly fish and onions for sting rays. This was over fifty years ago
probably have much better stuff today.

Black hornets here are more properly known as Bald-Faced Hornets. Was offset discing some fill from ditching a couple years ago and was trying to blend it smooth between the ditch and the surrounding pasture. Ran over a big rotten log that was 3/4 buried in the ground. The cab was buzzing outside with yellow jackets. If I was in the open station tractor I don't think I would have survived. There were hundreds and they really didn't like it when I ran over that spot about 10 more times with the offset. You know a yellow jacket is pissed when they start hitting the glass at full speed - kamikaze style.

Latest posts