red vs black

Help Support CattleToday:

Here anything but blacks take a $.30 to $.50 cent hit at the sale barn. I can't take that $150 to $250 lost on my 5 weight calves. If the feed lots want pink with poke a dots then i am looking for a new bull. I am not in the cattle buissness to look at them or like them. I want to sell pounds of beef for the best $ i can. Just my thoughts.

endebt":28patujr said:
Here anything but blacks take a $.30 to $.50 cent hit at the sale barn. I can't take that $150 to $250 lost on my 5 weight calves. If the feed lots want pink with poke a dots then i am looking for a new bull. I am not in the cattle buissness to look at them or like them. I want to sell pounds of beef for the best $ i can. Just my thoughts.

$.30 to $.50 per pound? Very hard to believe............

endebt":22j548ml said:
Where are you taking your calves?!

Sold calves Friday split a pair one red one black same weight diff was .03.

Same day watched 2 really good sets of red limo's top the sale, over several pens of good solid black calves.

Go figure!

I'm a little biased but I believe it depends on what you want your end result to be. Personally I'm in the process of weeding out the black cows and have a compleate red herd. Some sales blacks seem higher some reds, depends on the sale. Look at the big picture and what your goals are. Reds are a bit more tollerant of the heat than black but other than that I don't think the color really makes a whole lot of difference. Keep in mind crossbreeding, red crosses better in every instance than black. It doesn't matter what sale you go to the grey & rat tailed calves always bring a discount.

most breeds started off red, not all black cattle is angus and thats were people lose track in pricing. With grade cattle you might lose .03-.06 cents with reds to blacks. grow the color that makes you happy, after all thats all that matters

If you are asking the question in regards to profit. You must consider first what and where your market is. What are they buying? In my area people are traditioanlists. If they go looking for replacements, They are looking for a uniform set of cattle. Their tendencies usaully send them hunting for a Hereford Barngus cross Cow. They will want to breed them to and angus Bull. Their goal is to have a momma that still has sweat glans. Offspring that is mostly black with no ear. Something that looks more like the old Black Baldie. thereby maxing out at the sale barn. But that is my market

MikeC":3jlnctuv said:
endebt":3jlnctuv said:

I have seen $.20 around here.

bobby22":300cmbuq said:
MikeC":300cmbuq said:
endebt":300cmbuq said:

I have seen $.20 around here.

I'd be willing to bet it wasn't JUST because he was black though. Probably some other inferior trait............... :roll:

It is indisputable that black puts positive pressure on price per pound. But black is just one of many factors influencing the deciding bid for feed stock.

sodbuster":307ob4cz said:
tx_stratdad":307ob4cz said:
what are the advantages and disadvantages of black vs red cattle
I think the black are a little longer, having more ribeye meat, therefore bringing a little more money per pound
What? How does color have anything to do with length, ribeye area, or either of those bringing more money per pound? I don't see buyers ultrasounding cattle to see who has the bigger ribeye. But this is pretty funny cuz I can't believe some of the things that people can associate with the almighty black cattle. Seriously, it is just what you prefer. The advantage I see with red is the ability to cross with any color to get a valuable animal. Blacks crossed with whites can lead to rat tails. Then again this is just my opinion.

No, it's not "pink" it's PURPLE with polka dots!
There is an advantage for blacks over reds OF EQUAL QUALITY as far as sale price - usually - also, depending on location - but most places this holds true.
Heat is harder on black hided cattle.
Length? :shock: get real.
There are good ones & bad ones in all color.
Color shouldn't matter - quality matters.
A good red, white, or grey will outsell a bad black any day, any time at a legit auction.

Topkick":2xc6uzjs said:
sodbuster":2xc6uzjs said:
tx_stratdad":2xc6uzjs said:
what are the advantages and disadvantages of black vs red cattle
I think the black are a little longer, having more ribeye meat, therefore bringing a little more money per pound

We killed some real long black cattle along with some extra long holstiens we averaged 5 more steaks per loin out of the longer cattle. Now theres something to think about when it comes to length them extra 10 steaks per animal netted us over a hundred dollars per animal. We will never buy them short loined cattle again.

The average person does not know this is possible so we can get them long ones every time and never really have to pay any extra.
wonder how did them extra 10 steaks taste. or was it just quanity over quality

Latest posts