Red Neck Dust Caps

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
Had to have the bearings replaced on my bush hog shredder. The wheels did not have dust caps and the supply store only had two sizes. I took the ones closest to the size I thought I needed (Other size was obviously too small). Got them home and they didn't fit. My boyfriend looked over the situation, pulled out his skoal can which was about empty, took out a dip, placed the empty can over the bearings. Voila!!! It fit perfectly. Don't know how long they'll last but the shredder has been used several times since and the skoal cans are still in place protecting the bearings.

I have an old car trailer I bought years ago that has those mobile home axles under it. I use it for hauling around posts, wire, and other such nonsense. The hub dust covers fell off years ago and I duct taped them over. It has been there for years. Just another use for duct tape. :lol:

No thanks, Cowpoke, only needed two. Thanks, anyway!

I'd probably have gotten around to duct tape too if he hadn't come up with a solution. Duct tape and bailing wire and WD 40 fix just about anything.

I would choose the duct tape over the snuff can caps. Dust in the grease will result in bad results. The duct tape will better seal the opening.

You can get a set of four dust caps for less than $10 that are sized to seal the opening and keep the dust out. Otherwise that dust/sand/grit is going to stick in the grease and defeat the whole purpose.

Grease caps are inexpensive and much cheaper than wheel bearings. Replace the caps and replace the grease.

Would you put sand in the crankcase of an engine?

Backhoe, I certainly agree covers are cheaper than bearings but neither of the two local parts stores had dust caps for my shredder. Not sure where to find the size I need. For now, those plastic snuff cans are a nice tight fit. They snapped right in like they belonged there. Don't think any dirt will be getting in.

I will replace the cans with the right size cap when I find them. Sometimes you have to make do with the quick fix.

A6gal":eolouhgo said:
I will replace the cans with the right size cap when I find them. Sometimes you have to make do with the quick fix.

Covering them with anything is certainly better than allowing dust/grit/sand to contact the grease.

We lost the fuel cap off the 966 right in the middle of haying. The bottom half of a Gatorade bottle fit snugly in place. In fact I believe it is still there.

Dave":2l3w016j said:
We lost the fuel cap off the 966 right in the middle of haying. The bottom half of a Gatorade bottle fit snugly in place. In fact I believe it is still there.

I drove 40 miles each way and spent 15 bucks to replace mine - I think you outsmarted me on this one.

Bez>

i neever thought of that. we were backing up to a hole to load cattle and my dad broke the dust cap. so we took the bottem part of a Sonic sup and black taped it on. i know the cup inst there but the black tape still is

Years ago in another life I used to race dirt track cars. Every once in a while we would loose a bearing cap. One evening between events we discovered a missing cap. Our driver had a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup which he emptied and placed on the hub. It stayed on the entire race and for several races after that. I think the only thing that took it off was when he hit the wall but then that took the wheel, suspension, etc off too.

Earl Thigpen":192gt3gn said:
Years ago in another life I used to race dirt track cars. Every once in a while we would loose a bearing cap. One evening between events we discovered a missing cap. Our driver had a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup which he emptied and placed on the hub. It stayed on the entire race and for several races after that. I think the only thing that took it off was when he hit the wall but then that took the wheel, suspension, etc off too.
I got a couple of Mopars I am thinking about racing.The 68 Charger was a Hollywood stunt car,has a 383.It would make a good dirt track car.Is the track in Edna closed?You never get too old to be involved in racing.I could use some hints or past experiences,give it a thought.

Brahma Bull":2a8m9ta5 said:
Earl Thigpen":2a8m9ta5 said:
I got a couple of Mopars I am thinking about racing.The 68 Charger was a Hollywood stunt car,has a 383.It would make a good dirt track car.Is the track in Edna closed?You never get too old to be involved in racing.I could use some hints or past experiences,give it a thought.

It would be a shame to use a 68 Charger for a race car.
They are hard to find, and are a great classic.

KenB":141yreef said:
Brahma Bull":141yreef said:
Earl Thigpen":141yreef said:

It would be a shame to use a 68 Charger for a race car.
They are hard to find, and are a great classic.
Well this one was blown up in the movie the guy said.So the interior was burned,doors sort of bowed out due to the explosion,got a few small dings in the body,windows are gone,
wiring all melted,inside is rusty.So either a parts car or race car.
Be tooooo much work to restore it.Be pretty wild to be racing in a 68 charger,driving some mopar fans nutz thats for sure.

I've cut a beer can in half and tapped on the bottom half of the can on the hub in place of a dust cap on my trailer. Worked good until I found a replacement. Don't remember if it was 10 or 12 oz?