red heifer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

rw77

Reaction score
hey everyone , I've been raising black Angus cattle for years and a couple months ago I went to the barn and a cow was giving birth , everything went well so I left and came back in a couple hours and this calf was a totally red heifer , I thought this was rare and googled red heifer and it seemed its quite rare , has anyone ever had one of these .

What was she bred to? Even if the bull was black he can be carrying a red recessive gene and she must be as well. I run primarily black cattle myself and tons of them carry a red gene - almost half I'd say.

What was she bred to? Even if the bull was black he can be carrying a red recessive gene and she must be as well. I run primarily black cattle myself and tons of them carry a red gene - almost half I'd say.

Here's how it works:
Red x Red:
100% progeny will be red (even if any red parent had a black parent)

Black Red Carrier x Red:
50% progeny will be red and 50% will be black. Reds will be pure red and blacks will all be red carriers.

Black (non red carrier) x Red
100% progeny will be black red carriers

Black Red Carrier x Black Red Carrier:
75% progeny will be black and 25% will be red. Of the blacks, two-thirds (or 50% of total progeny) will be red carriers, and one- third (or 25% of total progeny) will be non red carriers.

It took a long time here to breed all the black out. Only thing harder to get rid of is black noses. Still have some of those.

It took a long time here to breed all the black out. Only thing harder to get rid of is black noses. Still have some of those.
One of many things I appreciate is being able to occasionally incorporate worthy AAA bulls but you're spot on...eradicating the black color can be problematic. Don't mind the black noses & truth be told I'm rather fond of the often resultant ultra dark "points" on the otherwise red bulls.

76 Bar said:
Here's how it works:
Red x Red:
100% progeny will be red (even if any red parent had a black parent)

Black Red Carrier x Red:
50% progeny will be red and 50% will be black. Reds will be pure red and blacks will all be red carriers.

Black (non red carrier) x Red
100% progeny will be black red carriers

Black Red Carrier x Black Red Carrier:
75% progeny will be black and 25% will be red. Of the blacks, two-thirds (or 50% of total progeny) will be red carriers, and one- third (or 25% of total progeny) will be non red carriers.

This is a good basic explanation. Here's another one posted by Rydero on March 13-
"Been a few questions about what color calves come out of different combinations how often. I'll explain it how I understand it. If anyone knows something I don't about different combos or breeds or thinks of something I don't please chime in.

Each cow or bull has 2 genes for basic color. Black is dominant over red. So for basic red and black cattle you can have - a red animal with 2 red genes, a black animal with one red and one black or a black with 2 black genes. Breed a red to a double black offspring will be black every time. Breed a red to a black carrying a red recessive gene and you'll get half black half red. Breed 2 blacks both with a recessive red gene and you'll get a red a quarter of the time."

I'll add this since I don't know how much you may know about genetics-The two color genes they refer to are black and red. The term "dominant" means that it will cover up the other gene (the recessive one) so that you see the dominant one. Offspring inherit one color gene from each parent. That means you could have a black cow that carries the recessive red gene but you'd never know because she appears black. If you mate her to a black bull that also carries the recessive red gene the calf could inherit 2 black genes and appear black, 1 black gene and 1 red gene and appear black (because black is dominant), or 2 red genes and appear red. Check out a Punnit Square for a visual explanation. -There's a whole host of other genes that effect color (diluant, pattern) but this is the basics.
(I think I got that right. Please correct me if I didn't.)

You got it IMO. keep meaning to add to that thread for white animals that aren't diluters (Roans) and about markings - I want to re-read and double check some info first but been busy with about 5 calves a day coming and the day job. Too tired for genetics to make much sense right now.

Side note - Had a calf that's silver with a white belt last night. I'm betting there aren't too many of those running around!

Rydero said:
You got it IMO. keep meaning to add to that thread for white animals that aren't diluters (Roans) and about markings - I want to re-read and double check some info first but been busy with about 5 calves a day coming and the day job. Too tired for genetics to make much sense right now.

Side note - Had a calf that's silver with a white belt last night. I'm betting there aren't too many of those running around!

5 calves a day-Yay! Day job-Boo. Silver with a white belt-Man I bet it's pretty.

Rydero said:

Picture??? Please.

In my case both parents were all black , I've only had all black angus for years , this is a first for me , I have learned a lot about the genetics and how they work , very interesting, thanks everyone

farmerjan said:
Rydero said:

Picture??? Please.

I'll get one, tried to get pictures on here and had a tough time but I'll do my best to oblige. Even nicer silver calf with a white face running around now too.

rw77 said:
In my case both parents were all black , I've only had all black angus for years , this is a first for me , I have learned a lot about the genetics and how they work , very interesting, thanks everyone
So now you know the sire is a red carrier and so is the dam.

where do you think the Red Angus came from? They came from registered Black Angus cows and bulls. Back in the 70's (in Kansas), farmers were known to have a red calf born and take it out back and knock it in the head. They had a "purebred" Angus herd and sure didn't want anyone to think their cattle weren't "pure".

What a waste - bonking calves. rw77 never said where they're from. In Canada red and black angus are colors not breeds. I think that's how it is everywhere besides the USA. Tons of blacks hiding red genes all over the place up here.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/gallery/image/235/mini You won't see me knock this one I'm the head , that's one nice looking calf

That's supposed to say you won't see me knock this one in the head .

farmerjan said:
Rydero said:

Picture??? Please.

Hey it worked! Here's the pic

Latest posts