Red cow/calf pair

Help Support CattleToday:

I would fault the udder for not being even, but very functional. Cow's dam is 11 years old. Same udder, never got bigger, still nice teats. This cow family goes back to original commercial cow, bred for my first 1/2 blood back in 1972.
thanks for the comments. Always great to know what others think.

I think they are a nice pair and agree the udder is not great. I don't have a problem with the size of her udder, milk production is very important. I have a nine year old cow here with a very similar looking udder, i often wonder if rear ligaments have let go if that is possible.

Seems to be a trait in this cow family. Not all, but common. Good thing is they never get any worse. Never culled one in this family for udder.
I think the only cows I have culled for udders, were ones I purchased and developed pizz poor udders. Mud draggers!

Seems to be a trait in this cow family. Not all, but common. Good thing is they never get any worse. Never culled one in this family for udder.
I have a few of those kind of cow families as well...like you never a problem (otherwise would be long gone) but nonetheless disappointing. Seeking, improving & maintaining udder quality is challenging. I admire that you recognize the issue. Far too many purebred breeders don't or far worse, are oblivious.

LOL - I am my own worse critic. My goal (like many) is to have perfect animals. There is NO SUCH THING. They all have flaws. It's just a matter of how bad and can you live with it and does it hurt your bottom line. Also, what my "perfect animal" is may be totally different from someone else.

I'd have to see the udder right when she calves to make a good judgement, but I see it as functional... Yeah, a little smaller on the back and bigger on the front quarters would improve the look.. I don't see anything that concerns me though, they both look good

Nesi - yes, she has nice little teats at calving. One thing about an uneven udder, calf sure finds all 4 easily, LOL
I would not offer this cow in this sale if I was at all concerned about her udder. Great cow with a super calf. This was my calf pick for my show string, but was talked into putting the pair into the sale.
Here are two other Mack AF heifers we showed last year:

That's a really nice pair. I wouldn't waste much time nitpicking over her udder. It's not perfect but it's a long way from being a problem.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Nesi - yes, she has nice little teats at calving. One thing about an uneven udder, calf sure finds all 4 easily, LOL

One could argue that this would make the perfect udder. That is the goal for the cow. To raise a calf, problem free. I sure like the way she moves. Real smooth.

A bit more even udder and she would look like a perfect cow. But definitely not that bad looking udder now too. And she has a very nice calf by her side, so that shows how good she's at her job.

Justin - it was great to meet you. I have the pair here at my farm. A NY 4-H'er bought her. They will be getting her picked up soon. So, in the meantime, my nephew, Phil, is working on getting her better halter broke. We had her good to tie, but a 9 year old will be showing her. There are 3 sisters, she's the youngest. they have been buying their show steers from me for a few years, and have started buying heifers the past few years. Soooo happy she is going to a good home.

Latest posts