Red ants

Help Support CattleToday:

Rocket1121

Reaction score
I have a terrible red ant problem starting. These are not fire ants there bigger and are in my pastures. The ant bait granuals that I normally use have been discontinued (probley because they worked) so I tried a different kind and it didn't work but for about 3 days now they are back. Was wondering what you all use or any suggestions to help?

Rocket1121":iz2d46xq said:
I have a terrible red ant problem starting. These are not fire ants there bigger and are in my pastures. The ant bait granuals that I normally use have been discontinued (probley because they worked) so I tried a different kind and it didn't work but for about 3 days now they are back. Was wondering what you all use or any suggestions to help?

They are still fire ants - they are just the domestic version as opposed to the imported version, you might try Orthene Fire Ant Bait, or do a search for organic fire ant control. I don't know what it's called, but TxAg mentioned an organic method of killing them.

msscamp":ndecubvk said:
Rocket1121":ndecubvk said:

They are still fire ants - they are just the domestic version as opposed to the imported version, you might try Orthene Fire Ant Bait, or do a search for organic fire ant control. I don't know what it's called, but TxAg mentioned an organic method of killing them.

Orthene will work and best of all you can mix it with water and spray it. We have used it on our Christmas trees and have zero ants on 5 acres. Of course, your neighbor won't be very happy - his ant population will increase. We sprayed 2-3 times annually.

Rocket -

Are they the giant red ants that create wide trails where they harvest?

If so, you may not want to kill them all. An etomologist I met told me they are called harvester ants. In a drought, they will collect all of the seeds they find. Just before the drought ends, they will go and disperse the seeds, rejuvenating the area.

However, they do hurt when they bite and they are very persistent in where they make their homes.

I have tried everything I could think of to get rid of certain mounds. My pest control guy says his grandaddy used a pipe to deliver diesel below the mound. Then, he'd light it up. Worked every time.

Well i tried to take some pictures but they were no good. I'll try to get my wife to take some she nows that dang camera better than me. Any how I seen some tonight with wings so there only getting worse.
Dusty, they are around 1/4" long and leave trails and they are Packen!! Seeds that is :D Don't think I'll try any thing that has to do with fire right now due to the burn ban were under. You folks might see me on your local news for burning 50,000 acres of Oklahoma NEWS FLASH : Man burns Oklahoma trying to kill ants with diesel :shock: :D
We use to get some granuals at the COOP that would nock the snot out of them with one application but of course they don't make it no more. It was made by Hi-Yeild I think.
Where I'm at in the world I have never seen fire ants but that doesn't mean there not here so no need for an apologies folks any advise is more than welcome.
I tried another Hi-Yeild product but it only ran them underground for a few days now there back :mad:
They are building mounds everywhere. In 1 pasture of approx. 13 acre I treated around 35 mounds. With 240 more acres to go.
Heck one of these days I will go down there and all my cows will be hanging from the trees to get away from the ants :D :D
Thanks again for the Help!!!!

Rocket1121":34rsdfhv said:
Don't think I'll try any thing that has to do with fire right now due to the burn ban were under. You folks might see me on your local news for burning 50,000 acres of Oklahoma NEWS FLASH : Man burns Oklahoma trying to kill ants with diesel :shock: :D

I'm in the same position, Rocket. Since they will reseed the area, I'll leave them alone until the drought ends. Fire ants will destroy them, but I'd rather have them any day over fire ants.

i used to see those kinda ants around everywher when i was a kid, we have one large mound of them on the road to the back of the pasture, some one one here said they thought the fire ants had killed alot of them out. i have never had any problems with them they are kinda interesting to watch, and they do drag all kinds of seeds in to the mound. them bad ole fire ants are a completely different story, i wish they could somehow become extinct, but i think they will be like a roach, they will never die out.

samm

I found some bait that seems to work. Its called Amdro. Suppose to work on fire ants to (Well thats what the bag said) I found it at another COOP 20 miles away. It takes 3 tablespoons per mound but I cut that back to 3 teaspoons due to the # of mounds and the cost. It runs $12.95 for a 1.3LB bag.
I put it on the mounds closest to the house around 9:00 this morning. They instantly started grabing it and taking it in there mound. Suppose to eat it and feed it to the queen for a total nest melt down.
At 5:00 this evening there was a decrease in the number of ants running around with some mounds with no activity.
Never did get the camera to work for the pictures. If the electronic genius (Wife) can't get it to work then its broke :)
Will keep everyone posted of the results.

Latest posts