ME -4 70 Breed Avg 4
CED 6 84 Breed Avg 4
HPG 4 55 Breed Avg 8
CETM 6 83 Breed Avg 4
ST 14 80 Breed Avg 10
MAR -0.16 51 Breed Avg 0.06
REA -0.11 47 Breed Avg -0.03
Fat -0.01 30 Breed Avg 0.0

if it's a bull why isn't it already cut? if a cow with that many traits below average I would breed her to an extreme oposite of herself.

Those are the breed averages for active sires, cows numbers are lower.

dun

it might say that b/c of increasing breed popularity/demand more average to below average individuals are being kept for breeding purposes, like was the case with black angus several years back. food for thought.

I expect a cows weights to be less then a bulls plus most of the cow herd is a lot older then the bull herd. The bull data is based on 1,773 bulls cow data on 54,903.
This is one of those cases that the numbers don;t tell the whole story. Great uddered daughters, moderate size and easy keeping. He's also 9 years old and selection criteria has changed a lot in those years. I haven;t figured out why, but his EPDs for REA and Marbeling are significantly below what we get using him on our cows.

dun

the accuracies for those traits are lower if thats what the second number is. keep in mind i know only enough about epds to be dangerous.

Ya'll be glad to know there are 4 bulls that average at least breed average in every catagory. Here they are.
http://www.redangus.org/cgi-bin/siresrch.4ge
I guess to you epd people then these are the only 4 that are good enough to not lower your heard quality in at least one catagory. I think I entered the data right. I am not sure though . Try it on your breed people. It is interesting.

glaciernyack688.jpg

I've seen some of his dtrs and they are good looking and have a thick square butt.

I've been wondering here lately, why would anyone want to breed to a bull that has a negative marbling? Especially if you AI to a continental cross?

MoGal":3krvhhkj said:
I've been wondering here lately, why would anyone want to breed to a bull that has a negative marbling? Especially if you AI to a continental cross?

There is the possibility that what he's actually producing is a whole lot better than a low accuracy EPD. They can and do change with more data. Case in point, after two calves' performance being submitted, one of the cows on my brother's pasture has had her YW EPD raised from the low 30's to 49, with a similar jump in WW, now 31. I presume part of this may be due to performance of her siblings and so on down the family tree as well.

MoGal":3studvax said:

Generally I agree. We don;t use much that has unfavorable carcass traits, but there are times that compromises are called for.

dun

Latest posts