Red Angus Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
P1010548.JPG

This is my son's red angus heifer. She was born in April. We think she looks pretty good for showing at 4_h fairs. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Nice heifer, just make sure he doesn't stretch her out like that in the ring. Looks like her mother is doing a good job raising her.

Has your son had any training or experience with showing cattle? Does he have access to the "show" equipment necessary for cleaning, dressing and combing cattle, and does he have access to facilities for washing and bathing and hair training, and can his calf be kept out of the sun during the day, and still have the ability to exercise and walk the heifer after sundown? Does he know all the "tricks' of showing cattle, and is he prepared to accept the decisions of the judges without losing his demeanor and using the experience as a time of learning and growing up in the world of disappointments? And . . . this is very important . . . is your son knowledgeable about the purposes of selecting a calf (or any age show animal) and the Genotype and Phenotype that is necessary to succeed in being successful in today's current Beef Cattle environment?

And - - - is your son DEDICATED in accepting the responsibilities that go with preparing and showing a calf? It is NOT a game that can be played only when he wants to play! It actually is a whole new life style.

I wish your son good learning and successful experiences in his efforts.

DOC HARRIS

If you answered yes to Doc's post send him down to my place next summer, I may have some work for him. :D

That is a nice looking heifer and I wish your son the best of luck next show season. :)

Nice heifer. I wish she had a little more in her rear. I agree with the others: when you show her, don't stretch her out so much. Looks like Mom's doing a good job raising her. Do take a moment to read over Doc's post a couple of times, he makes many, very valid points! Good luck with her!

Jay

Actually my son (13) and daughter (15) have been showing for about 3 years. It is definitely not as easy as it looks. They have found out showing involves A LOT of hard work and time. You can't just starting working with them a week before the fair. They both seem dedicated to their cattle. My daughter especially enjoys the grooming portion of showing cattle. As far as having access to show equipment, I should take stock out in Sullivans Show Supply as much stuff as we have purchased. The kids are used to showing steers. Heifers fairly new to them, so thanks for the tip on not stretching her out. Also, it seems like there is always someone in the barn that is so willing to help the kids out when it comes to showing and/or grooming their cattle. I am so thankful for that because neither me nor my husband know much about showing. I give my kids a lot of credit because showing cattle is not a big competition thing for them. Whether they are in first, middle or last in their class placing, they seem to accept it very well. Curious, why keep her out of the sun???

jmbadavis":7kf0s2wv said:
Curious, why keep her out of the sun???

Because unless you are in the south where some of the shows are slick shows, you need to have a bit of hair growth her for fitting purposes.

AND, if they are cool (ie: in front of a fan in a dark barn) they will eat better and gain faster.

Just curious of the heifer's breeding, if you don't mind shareing that info.
She has a bigger foot than some red angus I've seen.

JM Nice looking heifer, I hope one day if and when I have a grandchild, I can get them interested in showing a calf.

It always helps to be involved with your kids and this keeps them away from bad choices in life. I was very involved with my son as he grew up. Mainly football, I coached him for 4 years before he went to Junior HS and I never missed a practice or a game.

best of luck to you and your children.

I certainly dont' mind posting her breeding. I have the papers on the dam Unfortunately I am in the process of finding out the sire. The guy we bought the cow from had 3 bulls in with her.

DOC HARRIS":2x4jdeo6 said:
Has your son had any training or experience with showing cattle? Does he have access to the "show" equipment necessary for cleaning, dressing and combing cattle, and does he have access to facilities for washing and bathing and hair training, and can his calf be kept out of the sun during the day, and still have the ability to exercise and walk the heifer after sundown? Does he know all the "tricks' of showing cattle, and is he prepared to accept the decisions of the judges without losing his demeanor and using the experience as a time of learning and growing up in the world of disappointments? And . . . this is very important . . . is your son knowledgeable about the purposes of selecting a calf (or any age show animal) and the Genotype and Phenotype that is necessary to succeed in being successful in today's current Beef Cattle environment?

And - - - is your son DEDICATED in accepting the responsibilities that go with preparing and showing a calf? It is NOT a game that can be played only when he wants to play! It actually is a whole new life style.

DOC HARRIS

He just asked for thoughts on the calf not for a lesson in raising his son. I think she looks nice

T&S Ranch":2jx3fi9h said:
DOC HARRIS":2jx3fi9h said:

DOC HARRIS

He just asked for thoughts on the calf not for a lesson in raising his son. I think she looks nice
:clap: :clap: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

jnowack":2lqod82z said:
T&S Ranch":2lqod82z said:
DOC HARRIS":2lqod82z said:

DOC HARRIS

T&S Ranch and jnowack - Return to the original posts on this topic and read it AGAIN! Perhaps both of you could benefit from thoughtful considerations of perspection and sagacity. jmbadavis said, "This is my son's red angus heifer. She was born in April. We think she looks pretty good for showing at 4-H fairs. Any thoughts?? Thanks". (Emphasis added).

You assumed jmbadavis just asked for thoughts on the calf, not a lesson in raising her son. You chose to think whatever you wished to think - - but you DON'T KNOW but what jmbadavis appreciated some impartial and unprejudiced suggestions - or not.

She asked for any thoughts. I gave her some of mine.

I just gave YOU some of mine - even though you didn't ask for it!

DOC HARRIS

T&S Ranch":1t68gcrj said:
DOC HARRIS":1t68gcrj said:

DOC HARRIS

I think Doc was being very polite...something which you should try . He's a good judge of cattle and maybe there wasn't much good to say about the heifer and just passed along some advice and encouragement.

Have we all got our dander up over the recent Hill Creek boondoggle here or what? Come on now folks, let's just simmer down a bit.

In the words of the very wise Ron White - "Easy Sea Biscuit"

DOC HARRIS":dny59utu said:
jnowack":dny59utu said:
T&S Ranch":dny59utu said:
DOC HARRIS":dny59utu said:

DOC HARRIS

T&S Ranch and jnowack - Return to the original posts on this topic and read it AGAIN! Perhaps both of you could benefit from thoughtful considerations of perspection and sagacity. jmbadavis said, "This is my son's red angus heifer. She was born in April. We think she looks pretty good for showing at 4-H fairs. Any thoughts?? Thanks". (Emphasis added).

You assumed jmbadavis just asked for thoughts on the calf, not a lesson in raising her son. You chose to think whatever you wished to think - - but you DON'T KNOW but what jmbadavis appreciated some impartial and unprejudiced suggestions - or not.

She asked for any thoughts. I gave her some of mine.

I just gave YOU some of mine - even though you didn't ask for it!

DOC HARRIS

I didnt take Doc's post as a put down, just thought's of a Dad and a Grandpa, nothin more. I can tell you this those of us that are in the middle of raisin kids know that it inst easy, and quickly except any well meaning help. Thats the way I took it and from her post thats the way jmbadavis took Doc's thoughts also.
There is more about showing cattle than cattle, just like there is more to ball than just the game. Good parents know this.

MD

Latest posts