Red Angus Cows + a few other pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Took a few pics of some of the Red Angus girls a couple days ago.
IMG_0908sm_zpszytj5aso.jpg

6 yr old

IMG_0915sm_zps8zcekwev.jpg

4 yr old

IMG_0863sm_zpssbzghhei.jpg

4 yr old

IMG_0884sm_zpsluazcvw1.jpg

5 yr old - this girl & the two 4 yr olds above are all sired by the same Mulberry bred bull. He left some pretty nice looking daughters with perfect udders. The two 4 yr olds are actually the result of father/daughter breedings. They are a little fine boned for my taste, but they do a good job with their calves.

IMG_0801sm_zpsluhgjxnt.jpg

6 yr old

IMG_0809sm_zpsn8ehllf2.jpg

1st calver

IMG_0822sm_zps6lgg1zrf.jpg

another 1st calver (half sister to the one above)

IMG_0887sm_zpsj3tovgor.jpg

7 yr old cow

IMG_0870sm_zpsy6lmjfzk.jpg

her bull calf

IMG_0797sm_zpsl5pxn3m4.jpg

heifer calf that is on the 'keeper' list

IMG_0834sm_zpsabm41bah.jpg

bull calf - doing his best to pull something off the grill of the truck. They are little devils!!

IMG_0852sm_zpsxs4roh0s.jpg

another heifer calf

IMG_0980sm_zps7lmp9hkw.jpg

yearling Red Angus bull. Turned a year June 13th. Was planning to save him and sell him as a 2 yr old since he was younger. Unfortunately one of our herd bulls quit working (cows returning to heat), so we are using him. He's done pretty good for being a younger bull.

Doing something a little different tomorrow. Taking some heifers into our local fair for a 'commercial' heifer show. They've been doing this for a few years now and we've always said we were going to take some. Have always had excuses in the past, but this year the people running it nagged us enough that we finally said we would enter. It's a Pen of 3 heifers, can be any breed/cross. The judging is Ranchers Choice (anyone can vote). I highly doubt we will win, but it should be fun nonetheless.

IMG_0926sm_zps3rfqlwbt.jpg

These are the 3 girls we are taking. Probably have nicer individual heifers, but these ones matched the best.

IMG_1019sm_zpshhjsjrt7.jpg

IMG_1008sm_zpsyfyvwoxl.jpg

We'll see how it goes! Hope they don't freak out with the crowds. They are pretty calm, but you never know. They certainly aren't used to crowds.

Those reds are some of the nicest cattle I've seen pictures of here, nice!

You must be getting some of the same rain that Oldtimer is getting in Montana.

Nice pictures. You do a good job with photographs. You have done well collecting that bunch.

Thanks TN Cattle, cfpinz, inyati & lithuanian. I think they are pretty nice, but I'll admit I'm biased :)

inyati13":20y1rpib said:
You must be getting some of the same rain that Oldtimer is getting in Montana.

Nice pictures. You do a good job with photographs. You have done well collecting that bunch.

We have definitely been spoiled with good moisture this year. This country is never this green this time of year.... AND we even got lucky with the haying and none of it got too wet! We had another inch of rain the other day and it was well needed for the pastures.
I like taking pictures - maybe a little too much. :oops: It's relaxing to me...both the photography & checking the cows while I'm at it.

Really like the second young bull calf. He could turn out to be a dandy (if he doesn't eat your truck)

Really nice. The red angus are making a big comeback in this area, I believe the reds have been bred better through the "anything black" craze, and the quality is starting to show.

Clodhopper":1csdigrs said:
Really nice. The red angus are making a big comeback in this area, I believe the reds have been bred better through the "anything black" craze, and the quality is starting to show.

2X

The reds look long.

Terrific Red Angus Cattle. Black ones look nice but those red ones are awesome. Great job creekdrive! Would like to own some Red Angus like that and breed them to certain red Simmental bulls like maybe "Houston" or "Herbie" for some calves one of these days of my life. Hopefully I got a lot of those days left to give it a try. Again Impressive stock thanks for posting.

Sorry - I intended to get back on here and update how it went. We didn't win anything, but it was still a good day. I thought they looked good there and they definitely didn't look out of place quality wise compared to the other pens (they had 13 pens which was a great turnout for them!). We had a few people comment on how much they liked them. They were a bit smaller than some of the other pens, but different breeds (lots of Sim crosses) and a lot of the groups were born Jan/Feb which makes them a bit harder to compare. In this area for most people bigger is better and that proved true with the voting for the winners. I was just glad our heifers behaved very nicely and weren't spooked by all the people or the strange surroundings. We will definitely try to take another pen to next years fair!

creekdrive":2fwz5mw4 said:
Sorry - I intended to get back on here and update how it went. We didn't win anything, but it was still a good day. I thought they looked good there and they definitely didn't look out of place quality wise compared to the other pens (they had 13 pens which was a great turnout for them!). We had a few people comment on how much they liked them. They were a bit smaller than some of the other pens, but different breeds (lots of Sim crosses) and a lot of the groups were born Jan/Feb which makes them a bit harder to compare. In this area for most people bigger is better and that proved true with the voting for the winners. I was just glad our heifers behaved very nicely and weren't spooked by all the people or the strange surroundings. We will definitely try to take another pen to next years fair!

Latest posts