Record keeping

Help Support CattleToday:

whiskyb

Reaction score
I have always just used a notebook with a single page for each cow. I jot down calving dates, vaccinations and anything else pertaining to that cow. I see now some of the computer software programs are getting pretty detailed. Has anyone used these or any other good method of keeping track of these details

Hope everyone had a good new year,

Whiskyb

We do it about like you're doing it. I use Excel now and then but the main records are very basic and on paper. Nothing against computers, don't know how we ever lived without them. But for a basic cow/calf operation some of that software seems like it makes everything way more complicated than it needs to be. JMO

We use the special edition, "Longhorn Max 2006" for our LH. They also have an edition for all the other breeds, "Cattle Max".

Our LH program is simple to use, we can track detailed records, print 5 generation pedigrees, do thumbnail page of all our cattle, generate sale catalogs, and lot of other stuff. Easy to load digital photos for each animal. Takes VERY little time to use this program. Well worth it.

Along with our "active" files on our hard disk we also back up all records on CD plus print out hardcopy of all of our records, etc.

Again, this program is worth its weight in gold for our registered cattle program.

We use Red Wing software. Pretty well satisfied but still carry little AAA pocket record book (it works on Gelbviehs too). BUT... garbage in garbage out! 90% of the time we have problems its because input was wrong and we have to go back to the little pocket record book for the right answer.

I don't know how interested you are and how much consideration price might be. I just purchased Ranch Manager from Lions Edge which seems to work pretty well for a lot less money. Cattle Max is around $345 for a small registered herd and $145 for a small commercial herd. Ranch Manager is $99 for any size and any grade herd.

I keep the cow records for our ranch, and father in law has a few head mixed in with ours. I always keep the Previous year and current years records in the truck. Here while back I had to use his lil pasture truck (it's only use, not road legal) I was drivin along when there was a wierd reflection or somethin that caught my attention, flashed up on the headliner. I glanced up and bout died laffin, there it was, his "cattle records" written with a ball point pen on the headliner. Numbers weren't in order, and there was only a couple calves wrote down, when in fact nearly all his cows had calves at their side at the time.
It was just too funny to me.

edb130":3p9avq3o said:
I don't know how interested you are and how much consideration price might be. I just purchased Ranch Manager from Lions Edge which seems to work pretty well for a lot less money. Cattle Max is around $345 for a small registered herd and $145 for a small commercial herd. Ranch Manager is $99 for any size and any grade herd.
We downloaded the Ranch Manager trial and it seems to be hard to use. Been using Cattleworks for about 2 years, it is simple and easy but could do more, but it was cheap.

Howdy,
At the time, there really wasn't any other software out there we could use. I use AIMS from the American Angus Association. Since they keep me updated to whatever version, it has worked fine.
I was using AIMS for almost 3 years before cattlesoft came out. I downloaded it and tried it out. I know they have updated it since then anyway... it did not mate up with AAA for uploads and downloads of info.
All registered herd here.

I don't mind paperwork so I keep a color coded spreadsheet on:

1. General information- Dam, sire, birthdate, cost, etc.
2. Medical information - vaccinations, vet calls, etc.
3. AI - protocol used, semen used, calf?, etc.
4. Calving - # of previous calves, problems, sex and color of calf, etc.
5. Calving pounds weaned, which includes ADG

Each cow has a sheet for each category kept in a three ring binder. If we sell a cow her sheets go with her. They are also all registered but that's another binder. :lol:
O.k., I like paperwork. :oops:
I find it easier to make informed decisions when I have the paperwork right in front of me. Can't rely on my memory anymore.

Latest posts