Record Keeping

Help Support CattleToday:

DCB4

Reaction score
One of my big goals for this year is to keep better records. I really want to be able to look back and see what each cow and calf has done, or hasn't done, analyze it and be able to make more informed decisions from there. I bought my herd about 3 years ago from my grandfather who kept no records whatsoever the last 6-8 years. I retagged every cow and currently keep a spreadsheet with the cows tag #, its calves tag#,and I do my best to record the birth date. I will also record vaccination dates, gender of calf and any other small notes I can think of. I'm shopping around for a scale to place somewhere in my working area and record weaning weights as well. I'd like to hear any other thoughts you guys have on what records you keep, wish you kept, or wish you'd have started keeping years ago.

I have been using Cattlemaxx online since 2011. It's makes looking up animals a lot faster, and the reports, and worksheets it can generate are pretty nice.
You can get a free trial on their website if you want to give a try.

I keep several binders for our cattle records. Since our cattle are registered, I organize the cows alphabetically by name and each one will eventually wind up with several pages of information over the course of her production career. I will write down information such as when they calved, birth weight, weaning weight, ear tag of calf, who they were bred to, and any health issues such as treated for hoof rot, pinkeye, etc.

Backbone Ranch said:
I keep several binders for our cattle records. Since our cattle are registered, I organize the cows alphabetically by name and each one will eventually wind up with several pages of information over the course of her production career. I will write down information such as when they calved, birth weight, weaning weight, ear tag of calf, who they were bred to, and any health issues such as treated for hoof rot, pinkeye, etc.

I have a similar method, however I am a commercial producer and not registered. I use cattle cards & file folders. Been using that method for the last 18 years, it works well for me. I keep similar data as Backbone Ranch; cow # breeding dates, which bull, calving dates & weights, calf #, weaning dates & weights, sale dates, dates a cow leaves the herd & the reason for it.

Whenever I go out and do anything with the cows, working them, observing etc. I carry a little notepad, about 3" X 5" and jot down any relevant info, then when I have time I put on the cards or on a master list that I keep.

On the "master list" is also info regarding the pastures, de-worming, fly control, notes on weather (when I think to do that).

Calves and their mother have the same number/name with a different year letter. Works fine as long as they don't lose both tags. Calving dates, sex, and any other observations go on a "free" AI calendar.

Cull some cows each year on performance - - usually this calving and/or WW related. Basically review the smallest calves and the AI calendar to decide if Mom needs to move on.

Not sure what more cattle data we would actually use. Some would argue that even tagging is unneeded. Pasture data is usually the weakest link for cow/calf operations. Few have soil fertility or grazing rest period or grazing cow day data...

sim.-ang.king said:
I have been using Cattlemaxx online since 2011. It's makes looking up animals a lot faster, and the reports, and worksheets it can generate are pretty nice.
You can get a free trial on their website if you want to give a try.

I've heard a lot of people say they like cattlemaxx. I didn't know that you could produce reports and worksheets on there though, I really like the sound of that. I'll probably give the trial a shot. Last I looked in to it they didn't have an app which seems strange for this day and age.

For those of you recording weaning weights, are you weaning and weighing all your calves at once? Ideally that's what I'd like to do, separate and weight them all in one day. I'm still working on tightening my calving seasons so there would be calves with as much as 65 days between them in age. At that point I feel like I'd be comparing apples to oranges to some degree

I use an Excell spreadsheet to figure the 205 adjusted weaning weights. I built a program that uses BIF guidelines and lets you adjust for age of dam and sex,

Since I have consolidated a couple different herds due to some property sales, my calving period is pretty broad. This makes me have to wean calves three or four times a year. I weigh all of the weaners the day they are removed from their mothers.
I then divide that weight into the calves age in days. This gives me a weight gained per day. I don't really care that much about birth weight. Example 615 lb wean weight divided buy 205 day age would equal 3.00 lb/day.

My records are kept on paper and each cow has a sheet of her own with her calf record on the following sheet(s).
I also keep track on how much they gain after weaning if I background them and their shrink at the sale time.

There is lots of other info on the cows sheet such as health records, cows weight, teeth status, bought and sold price etc.

The cow sheet is also used for tax records when the cow sells.
The info is invaluable when it comes time to cut back the herd. I have sold some very nice looking cows because their calves just don't perform. Some cows wean a calf every year that is very consistent regardless of grass conditions.

Scales can be your most valuable piece of equipment on the farm. I weigh everything coming and going.

bird dog said:
The info is invaluable when it comes time to cut back the herd. I have sold some very nice looking cows because their calves just don't perform.

You really hit the nail on the head there. I feel like I'm hanging on to some cows because they pass the eye test with flying colors but on paper their probably not weaning the best calves

If you are computer savvy, you can just list your cows on a spreadsheet and keep track of everything you can think of - unlimited.
Some of my records are kept on the computer, some in books. Some records are easier to access from your breed association if purebred operation.

Scales can be your most valuable piece of equipment on the farm. I weigh everything coming and going.
Couldn't agree more.
If you can't get a birth wt with 24 hrs attempting to compute 205 day & yearling wt will be seriously flawed and especially if the calves are in different mgt/contemporary groups.

Latest posts