Reaction to Nuflor

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
One of our cows has foot rot. We tried the sulfur pills. Then went to LA 200. When she was still limping, we tried the Nuflor. It was really pretty wild. Within 30 seconds, every hair on her body was standing straight up. The skin on her face wrinkled. She was wobbly and acted as if the burn was intense. This lasted for about 5 minutes, then all was well. Has anyone experienced this? Was this a reaction to the antibiotic or was she trying to "faint" for lack of a better word?

ffamom":1pvvoipv said:
One of our cows has foot rot. We tried the sulfur pills. Then went to LA 200. When she was still limping, we tried the Nuflor. It was really pretty wild. Within 30 seconds, every hair on her body was standing straight up. The skin on her face wrinkled. She was wobbly and acted as if the burn was intense. This lasted for about 5 minutes, then all was well. Has anyone experienced this? Was this a reaction to the antibiotic or was she trying to "faint" for lack of a better word?

Did you read what the contraindications or reactions could be on the insert? I've used enough Nuflor to float a battle ship and I've never seen that kind of reaction.

Did ya' give it close to an electric fence? I'm serious now...that sounds kind of like what happens when one bumps an electric fence and can't get away from it, well except for the wobbly, I guess.

Jeez, when ya' find out anything, let us know.

Alice

Sounds to me like some type of anafelaxia(sp). Some try to keep some type of epenefrin around for that. I would not use Nuflor on foot rot. It is a respritory anitbiotic. Keep the slow release boluses and use Exenell. It is geared for foot rot. Use a disposable sirenge.

was she in a headgate???
If so could she have choked down?
Used LOTS of Nuflor and never had problems

ffamom":qymies0l said:
What kind of perfume did you have on. Some of those really loud flowery kind do that to me. Especially in a car.

Scotty":4xmwwmdc said:
Sounds to me like some type of anafelaxia(sp). Some try to keep some type of epenefrin around for that. I would not use Nuflor on foot rot. It is a respritory anitbiotic. Keep the slow release boluses and use Exenell. It is geared for foot rot. Use a disposable sirenge.

Good point...

Alice

Another question...where did you inject this nuflor. You might have hit a nerve.

Alice

The injection was given in the neck per the vets advice.We do not have any electric fences. The vet felt since the sulfur pills didn't work and the LA 200 didn't work, nuflor was the next thing to try. Nuflor is labeled for foot rot.
My husband took her to the vet today since they have a table to lay her down and look at her foot. The foot rot was better, but not healed.
The vet felt she did have an alergic reaction. We better find a new family of antibiotics to give her if she comes down with a respitory infections.
Thank you for response.

ffamom":1qfuslqj said:
The injection was given in the neck per the vets advice.We do not have any electric fences. The vet felt since the sulfur pills didn't work and the LA 200 didn't work, nuflor was the next thing to try. Nuflor is labeled for foot rot.
My husband took her to the vet today since they have a table to lay her down and look at her foot. The foot rot was better, but not healed.
The vet felt she did have an alergic reaction. We better find a new family of antibiotics to give her if she comes down with a respitory infections.
Thank you for response.

And, thank you for the update! Learn something every day...

Alice

Nuflor is mainly for respiratory infections..
and I have never had any reaction using it.

Is this cow pregnant? The label on Nuflor says it is not for breeding age cattle since they don't know how it will affect pregnancy.