Rats !

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62

Reaction score
Rats have eaten the insulation off of a lot of the wires in my JD 6300. Even chewed some of the wires completely in two. Got it in the shop now getting it fixed.

Does anyone have a solution for the rat problem? Or, even any ideas for keeping them out of the tractor? It stays parked in a metal pole barn, open on one side, so there's not much hope of closing it in.....

Jim62":3d1gs547 said:
Rats have eaten the insulation off of a lot of the wires in my JD 6300. Even chewed some of the wires completely in two. Got it in the shop now getting it fixed.

Does anyone have a solution for the rat problem? Or, even any ideas for keeping them out of the tractor? It stays parked in a metal pole barn, open on one side, so there's not much hope of closing it in.....

Rat bait blocks. Shove them up in and around the motor and surronding area

Cats, lots and lots of cats and don;t feed them. Not being a cat person more then one is lots and lots of cats to me.

Had you been using the tractor? Maybe they were getting up in there to stay warm. Unless your just infested or they have made a nest in it........I would do as the others say also.

We've had good results with some bags of poison pellets. Just use a knife or box cutter to poke a hole or two in the pouch, stick em where the dogs can't get to em, and the vermin will begin to disappear. Hopefully.

The bait is my plan, placed everywhere on and in the tractor that it will fit.

I'm hoping that there may be something that would act as a repellant ........I'm going to talk a pest control guy, but I doubt that he will be much help without money changing hands.

Jim62":34233vb8 said:
The bait is my plan, placed everywhere on and in the tractor that it will fit.

I'm hoping that there may be something that would act as a repellant ........I'm going to talk a pest control guy, but I doubt that he will be much help without money changing hands.

The cats would fill that prescription too. :p

I didn't have a rat problem but mice were getting bad after all the cats disappeared last spring. (coyotes or neighbors poisoning rodent problem in their horse barn). Couple cats took care of them in just a little while.

dun":6tq7898m said:
Cats, lots and lots of cats and don;t feed them. Not being a cat person more then one is lots and lots of cats to me.
cats here too but i have too feed mine too keep em around,, cause they can catch up their work pretty quick.

In my experience, cats catch mice/rats because they like to and not just because they are hungry. We always keep food out for our cats and they still catch mice and probably deter even more. The best mouser is usually a momma cat but cat populations can get outta control in a hurry.

A few years ago, hubby brought home an electric mouse/rat trap. I scoffed and even called him a "cr@p buyer" (but with love :oops: ). Well I have been eating crow ever since - the thing WORKS. We had some grass seed in the attic of our garage and mice got into it. He put the zapper out there and killed 10 mice in a week. We would have killed more, faster, if we were home to reset it more often. It runs on 4 "C" batteries and when they enter it, baited by peanut butter, it shocks them enough to kill them, then it shuts down. I'll try to get a brand/model if anyone's interested. It cost about $20, plus the batteries need replacing once or twice a year.

I never had problems with them in a tractor cab , but i had them in my combine , now I put moth balls in small plastic dishes in the cab and in back of the combine , been doing it for years and it seems to help. I do it after I'm done with the combine for the year and put fresh ones in every year. I also have bait around in the building and cats.

i

I had a rat problem
I used my welder on a tuesday loaded it on the truck on a thursday and ent to jeds and it wouldn't work we took it apart and a rat had chewed some of the main wires into
a few yrs agoone ofmy truckwas sitting in the machine shed for a couple of months and when I poppedthe hood you couldn't even see the motor as it has a rats nest completely covering everything underthe hood

one trick is to leave the hood open on any vehicle that is parked and for killing them Jed gave me some good info that worked
take lots of the pelleted rat poison put it on a tin foil pie pan and and cover it with chocolate syrup
in a weeks time I went thru probably 20-30 packs of poison but then all of a sudden NO more rats
they ate the first 10 packs of poison in 1 night

the syrup makes them eat alot of the poison at one time so it will kill them really fast

Jim62":2a3luh5w said:

Something did that on my Buick. Not sure what exactly though. Chewed wires off near the battery and also the hose for the washer fluid. Luckilly, was only a $50 bill to fix.

greatgerts":1k7ildd0 said:
Jim62":1k7ildd0 said:

Something did that on my Buick. Not sure what exactly though. Chewed wires off near the battery and also the hose for the washer fluid. Luckilly, was only a $50 bill to fix.
sounds like a pack rat to me

Got it back from the shop the other day. Total bill was about $750.

Which leads to the next question. I'm about 15 miles from the dealership. Since I have no hauling equipment big enough to haul it, I had them pick it up, and fetch it back when finished. The bill for that was $127.50 each way--$255 total. Does that sound a little ridiculous to anybody but me?

What do other dealers generally charge for something like this?

Jim62":2x64dr7d said:
Got it back from the shop the other day. Total bill was about $750.

Which leads to the next question. I'm about 15 miles from the dealership. Since I have no hauling equipment big enough to haul it, I had them pick it up, and fetch it back when finished. The bill for that was $127.50 each way--$255 total. Does that sound a little ridiculous to anybody but me?

What do other dealers generally charge for something like this?
The local JD dealer charges 50 bucks each way

If the rats/mice are near your barn. Find their holes, stick a hose in, turn the water on and wait with your dog and or .22
May take while but they will come out. You also be amazed where the water comes out at (multiple spots).

Used to do this a couple times a year at my barn when I raised gamecocks.

Latest posts