rats

Help Support CattleToday:

Cats, either a jack russel or a rat terrier, last choice and they're probably already there is snakes

Deepsouth":29fo5ht3 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":29fo5ht3 said:
A good cattle dog or two and a 30-30!

A 30-30! Dang boot jack how big are your rats?
They are about the size of a cat up here in the great north woods. The 30-30 may be overkill, but the are so gross and that gun is my go to gun. No way a cat or small dog would handle the ones that move in from the woods and fields this time of year up here. :yuck:

Had one cat tackle a big one this fall. He got it dead, but it took half his lower jaw/neck meat. He was a hurting unit for a while, but is back in action, disfigured - but still working. Would have been a helluva fight to witness I imagine.

TexasBred":jaz2qk5e said:
Boot Jack Bulls":jaz2qk5e said:
A good cattle dog or two and a 30-30!

Boot you gonna have to start growing bigger cats up there to match those rats. :lol: :lol:

TB, that's why we have cattle dogs! We need the dogs and they eat most of the cats anyways! Healers hate varmits!

Poison is the best thing.I found. I put it up high in my barn so my cats didn't get into it. I killed so many rats one time the barn smelled for a month.

Rats are revolting creatures.... the ones that bother me aren't the ones that eat feed, it's the ones that live next to the dead pile and eat the calves... :eek:

milkmaid":1eq8as5o said:
Rats are revolting creatures.... the ones that bother me aren't the ones that eat feed, it's the ones that live next to the dead pile and eat the calves... :eek:
That would be a good way to keep your shooting eye sharp!

milkmaid":2xmtuomd said:
Ever see a family of possums crawl out the bung hole of a dead cow? Quite a sight.

This year, especially with such a wet summer, I have seen some monster rats. A good way to deal with them is to either dig a hole and fill with water or use a mineral tub half filled with water. The rats will crawl in and drown themselves. The left over feed and mineral in the buckets will draw the rats in. Ive dumped a few tubs this fall with over 9 or 10 rats in them.

CAUTION******* Check often or it will be one of the worst smells around. (i waited a 6 weeks once.....and will never again wait so long)

just my :2cents:

Latest posts