Ration thoughts and opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

j_20

Reaction score
Just want to hear what you guys think on what im feeding right now to my bred cows to get them through winter. First time I've ever tried it so I wanted to hear some opinions. Im mixing 1/3 sbm 1/3 ddg and 1/3 soy hulls. Coming from mainly just feeding alfalfa my concern is acidosis thats why I threw the soy hulls in I dont have rolled corn only fine grind so I chose to just leave corn out of the mix. Im feeding 2 lbs a head a day with 15 % protein tubs and mineral out and free choice crop residue bales. So what do you guys think ok mix to keep em healthy?

j_20":1b51wxql said:
Just want to hear what you guys think on what im feeding right now to my bred cows to get them through winter. First time I've ever tried it so I wanted to hear some opinions. Im mixing 1/3 sbm 1/3 ddg and 1/3 soy hulls. Coming from mainly just feeding alfalfa my concern is acidosis thats why I threw the soy hulls in I dont have rolled corn only fine grind so I chose to just leave corn out of the mix. Im feeding 2 lbs a head a day with 15 % protein tubs and mineral out and free choice crop residue bales. So what do you guys think ok mix to keep em healthy?
Acidosis will not be a problem as you have almost zero starch in the ration but you are feeding a huge amount of protein at about 28% without even considering the alfalfa. Delete the soybean meal and apply that replace it with corn, don't waste your money on the tub as they don't need it and keep the mineral out. Your cattle will do fine and your feed bill will drop tremendously.

Latest posts