Rant

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
CJC":1a1qfm9o said:
crazy cow lady in a pencil skirt and heels trying to convince this cow to get off of the highway and into the pasture. :bang:

Sorry you had a rough day... but umm do you have any pics of that ? :hide: :hide: :hide: :mrgreen:

I stopped weaning mine that way for the very same reason. What works better for me is to fence line wean the first and after about two weeks move the across they highway.

Used to dress like that & everyone thought we were nuts when we decided to leave it all, move to the country & buy cows. My friends refer to my saga as "From Heels to Hooves". At least he's safe for now but more importantly, did your shoes survive? :)

TCRanch":3s3psrhg said:
Used to dress like that & everyone thought we were nuts when we decided to leave it all, move to the country & buy cows. My friends refer to my saga as "From Heels to Hooves". At least he's safe for now but more importantly, did your shoes survive? :)

Why am I hearing the theme from Green Acres in the back of my head right now?

TennesseeTuxedo":3shrfv6k said:
TCRanch":3shrfv6k said:

Why am I hearing the theme from Green Acres in the back of my head right now?

I was totally Lisa Douglas. Shameless self promotion: couple years ago we made the cover story of our small town Achievement Edition in the paper that was ironically titled "Green Acres, Winfield Edition". Ha!

I use to keep calves at a neighbors until his fence got harder to fix then mine. It's a pain but if you keep cattle on another property you need to be confident of the fences. With that said I'm out to fix fence so I can work cattle tomorrow.

CJC":r18njf78 said:
Haha of course. I'm the get a manicure in the morning pick up cow manure at night kind of girl haha.

I did wean them between a fence for a month before moving them. I honestly think he accidentally fell through the electric fence at the neighbours, sounds silly I know but I cannot find a break in the fence anywhere. It was like he was laying down on one side and ended up standing up on the other side. Then he decided to just start walking back to his old stomping grounds. His dam was thrilled to see him though haha. I just hope he doesn't go for her udder again...she is about to calf.
Is an electic fence along the road all you have?

Years ago I had a few cows that got out. They went into the next valley and when I got the call I left work and went immediately and put them back where they belonged. After that the lady that called would call the sheriffs department when anyone's cattle got out because she knew that dispatch would get in touch with me and I would come. I quit leasing that farm in 1995 and she still called for years after.

In my county the entire perimeter must have at least four strands of barb wire.
There are still four or five open range counties in the state. Fence laws vary by county except on a hwy, and there is state law.
There is another get you clause of willful neglect or knowing your stock is at large.

I had to go digging to find it for here, have never heard anything about fence laws here in my day to day life ever. Nothing much specific about it anyways.

Fences

5 (1) The owner of a livestock farm shall build and maintain fences adequate to prevent his livestock from escaping from his farm.

2) The owner of a non-livestock farm adjoining a livestock farm shall not plant or cultivate any crop other than hay or pasture that would constitute an enticement to livestock closer than eight feet to a fence built or maintained pursuant to subsection (1).

(3) When a livestock farm adjoins another livestock farm, the owners of those farms shall share in the costs of building and maintaining common fences in such proportions as may be agreed upon between them and, failing such agreement, in such proportions as the committee for the municipality in which the lands are situated shall determine pursuant to this Act.

(4) Subsection (3) shall not apply when one of the farms has been operated continuously as a non-livestock farm for a period of one year. R.S., c. 166, s. 5.

CJC":1aqod0ec said:
I can't even seem to find anything online for our area. We had a situation a few months ago where one of our crazy cows decided to jump 3 fences and ended up on the highway. The police were called and came knocking on the farm gates as we are the only farm in the area with cows. We live only 40 minutes out from the City so not as much farming in our area. The police officer just looked panicked the whole time and said "Lady, I normally work in the city I have no idea what to do about this cow". Everyone just laughed and he got in his car and drove off. My point is I don't even think the law enforcement in our area would know how to discipline us for improper fencing. Personally we wouldn't just do the electric fencing like that on our farm but we took full advantage of the neighbours tall grass.
I guarantee somebody hits one of your cows you will get a tutorial in law you will never forget.

Caustic Burno":1qggkz48 said:
CJC":1qggkz48 said:
I can't even seem to find anything online for our area. We had a situation a few months ago where one of our crazy cows decided to jump 3 fences and ended up on the highway. The police were called and came knocking on the farm gates as we are the only farm in the area with cows. We live only 40 minutes out from the City so not as much farming in our area. The police officer just looked panicked the whole time and said "Lady, I normally work in the city I have no idea what to do about this cow". Everyone just laughed and he got in his car and drove off. My point is I don't even think the law enforcement in our area would know how to discipline us for improper fencing. Personally we wouldn't just do the electric fencing like that on our farm but we took full advantage of the neighbours tall grass.
I guarantee somebody hits one of your cows you will get a tutorial in law you will never forget.

She in Canada chief. Please let it rest.

Latest posts