Rake for Sudangrass

Help Support CattleToday:

VaCowman

Reaction score
What is the best rake for Sudangrass? I mowed a 10 acre field Friday evening and baled it Sunday morning. It got a little drier than I would have liked for baleage, but this was my first go round with Sudangrass so wasn't sure how long it'd take. When I raked with a rotary rake, I had to leave a little more than I'd like to just to keep from getting into the dirt just to pick it up. I don't like any more soil in the bale than I have to when baling green hay. There has got to be a better way to get it raked up cleaner without having to rake up so much soil in the process. Thoughts?

A merger will pick up the least amount of dirt or rocks, but can get slowed down in the long stems of sudan, and they're not cheap.

A belt type merger shines in picking up the least amount of dirt, but not all will rake long crops well. Or bale without raking.

Honestly a rotary is about the best option. A wheel rake is ground driven so will rake even more soil.

It is difficult to rake with any rake without getting some dirt. Best result I have seen is cutting with a mower conditioner and set the windrow width to fit the baler and not rake it at all. More travel for the baler but keeps it cleaner. A customer of mine did this in a field that was in corn last year and didn't pick up much of the old corn fodder.

Latest posts