raising a bullcalf

Help Support CattleToday:

CCRanch

Reaction score
Have a very nice bull calf that I am going to wean with about 6 replacement heifers this year. Thinking about raising him for a herd bull. I usually set a round bale of hay in the pens for the heifers I keep, and give them 50 lbs. of creep feed a week (depends on how many I keep). As far as raising the bull, is creep feed ok, or should I give him something else. I could possibly seperate him for feeding, but would rather not. Is there something besides creep feed that I should feed all of them, and not seperate the bull. Haven't raised a bull before, and am open for suggestions. Thanks.

what breed are we talking about? i would definitely separate him b/c he will breed those heifers just as soon as they are both able. (is he a brother?)

Without a lot more info it's hard to say but, I'm guessing he could be related to one or more of the cows you are going to breed him to. Not a great idea!

At the very least he needs to be separated from the heifers NOW.

You might want to ask a neighbor for some on the spot advice as to the suitability of this venture. Re. quality of the bull calf, and the inbreeding issue.

I've been a reading this board for a long time now, and it's morons like this that makes me not post. I do laugh though.

CCRanch":2sxwel2y said:
I've been a reading this board for a long time now, and it's morons like this that makes me not post. I do laugh though.

what are you saying. You are the one who posted the question originally aren't you. People here are trying to be civil and give advice with sounding patronizing or nasty.

Everyone starts out ignorant don't they. The only morons I know of are the ones who treat ignorant people like they are stupid.

I personally was trying to answer you like you were ignorant, not stupid. If you are calling me or anyone else who tried to help a moron, then we have a problem.

You're the one who sounded like a dumba$$ with the question you asked..

The reason I suggested that you ask a neighbor was the question was kinda dumb to begin with and I thought maybe someone close could influence you to make better decesions

I grew up on a 14000 acre ranch and knew enough by the age of 10 not to try to feed out a bull calf with a bunch of heifers.
You have said on other posts that you have run more bulls than someone else had ever owned. If that's true why do you come on here and ask a question that sounds that ignorant.

I had a little get together at my house, and my buddies,or ex-buddies got online. Again sorry if it upset anyone. I'm sure I gotta go to a couple more sites and straighten it out too.

Sh-t happens

Sorry I ripped you a new one. I was just trying to help. I don't like being called a Moron.

Even on the rare occasions when it's true

CCRanch":3fw12kx8 said:
Have a very nice bull calf that I am going to wean with about 6 replacement heifers this year. Thinking about raising him for a herd bull. I usually set a round bale of hay in the pens for the heifers I keep, and give them 50 lbs. of creep feed a week (depends on how many I keep). As far as raising the bull, is creep feed ok, or should I give him something else. I could possibly seperate him for feeding, but would rather not. Is there something besides creep feed that I should feed all of them, and not seperate the bull. Haven't raised a bull before, and am open for suggestions. Thanks.

If he (or the heifers) need creep feed, I believe I would be re-evaluating my choice of breed, the cows I have, or my management practices. We never needed creep for our calves to grow and develop, and they did just fine on a pound or two of grain/calf over the winter following weaning, then just grass the following spring and summer. I would not keep a bull calf with my heifers for any length of time following weaning, and I would keep a close eye on the heifers prior to weaning for indications of them cycling, as well.

I think you would better off buying a bull as his offspring will be less of his father and him.

Latest posts