raise your own bull vs borrow neighbor bull

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
i am planning to purchase 40 to 50 young heifers around 400lbs during Dec., breed them next Nov-Dec, and calve them in Aug-Sept of 2011. Also, by the beginning of Jan-Feb of 2010, i will buy more heavier heifers so i could plan to breed them with the purchased heifers in Dec of 2009. The problem is i don't want to introduce a bacteria called campylobactuer foetus(vibriosis) in my herd that may affect the fertility of the future herd from my friend bulls, which he leases regularly. The other option is to purchase several calf bulls and raised until around 15 months old to breed and them sell them. Time is not the issues nor the money because i have another job. Please keep the advises in regard to renting a bull or purchasing calf bulls to prevent Vibriosis for my future herds.

I have another job, and alway worry about the cost of cattle and the price of things.
that said, I would buy my own bull from a reputable breeder. There are those out there that have worked hard at good genetics, and are not out to gouge the next farmer. Average price we have paid for a bull is in around the $2000.00 mark. Some 1500 and a couple for 2300
If you were to get 2 good two year old virgin bulls, they would cover your 40-50 head easily. Othewise you will need at least 4 yearling bulls to cover that many cows.
Note that a heifer bull is not always best on cows. So when these hiefers are ready to breed back, you might need to buy some different bulls. Bulls for cows can have a few more pounds in BW, be a bit heavier framed...not more boney.

IF you are worried about disease, by virgins and get them tested for BVD and anything else you need to test for. Always get a semen test done before you sign the check on the bull to make sure he is a viable bull. Nothing like spending the money and come preg check time realize you bought a dud

jkwilson":20wg7yy7 said:
Why not just vaccinate and don't worry about it?

Ding ding ding!

As a matter of fact, vax em either way so the rest of us don't have to worry about yours! :lol:

On my second rented/borrowed bull right now.

Latest posts