Rainfall

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
We have already surpassed 2011 rainfall total's of 18 inches. Jan to Mar total's are at 21 inches looks like we are getting back to our normal weather pattern.

You must have gotten some yesterday. That storm stayed east of us, but there's a chance we'll get some this afternoon. I have grass seed out and need a good shower on it.

slick4591":1xpmim3v said:
You must have gotten some yesterday. That storm stayed east of us, but there's a chance we'll get some this afternoon. I have grass seed out and need a good shower on it.

Rained here off and on most of the day. Clouds are so low this morning you can reach up and get a drink.

WE ARE SNOWING! HARD?

It spit snow all day yesterday but never really got started. This morning around 7 it really broke loose. We have been so dry that they were considering not letting folks put any cattle on the BLM or the National Forrest this summer. That would effectively end cattle ranching for a lot of folks around here. My friend who runs right at 5000 head trucked them all elsewhere last year. He told me if he had to do that again he would have to sell 2/3 of them.

Thank you Lord for this gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got a lil rain here yesterday afternoon.so im hoping we have a good hay crop this year.

Had a squall line come thru early this morning about 4..didnt sound like heavy rain, but Ive got standing water everywhere..

Great timing, we were starting to need it again..pastures are greening up, wheatfields look good..I hope it keeps up.

Last week I got 11 inches in one day .. That's 3 inches shy of what I recorded all of last year . I'll take every drop with a smile . Even if it means I don't get to work for a month ..

they were considering not letting folks put any cattle on the BLM or the National Forrest this summer.

i was just wondering how many people use public grazing and what the cost is ? Public land around here would never allow grazing..i think

xbred":3u7ychwn said:
they were considering not letting folks put any cattle on the BLM or the National Forrest this summer.

i was just wondering how many people use public grazing and what the cost is ? Public land around here would never allow grazing..i think

Right now it is $1.35 AU per mo, In this case an AU is a pair. It's a bargain as long as you get to use it. There is also the initial cost of the grazing permit which is bought and sold as a commodity. These run easily into 5 figures. My friend bought one a couple of years ago and had to buy the cattle that went with it. She also had to hold them for a specified time frame before they could be disposed of.

This don't sound good.

From the local Fox network:
Severe Weather Expected Across North Texas

Published : Tuesday, 03 Apr 2012, 9:21 AM CDT

DALLAS - Parts of North Texas are going to see some potentially severe weather today, mostly in the form of thunderstorms, according to FOX 4's Evan Andrews.

A dry line is approaching from the west and advancing eastward, colliding with warm, moist air already over our area.

As the line advances, storms will flare up and bring high winds and potentially large hailstones.

"We can also expect to see wind gusts up to 65 mph, and hail as large as baseballs," said Andrews.

The line of storms was moving northeast at about 40 miles per hour by 9:15 a.m. Expect severe thunderstorm watches and warnings to be issued throughout the morning.

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/Severe ... z1qzUqk2SY

3waycross":32xdc8tm said:
xbred":32xdc8tm said:

Right now it is $1.35 AU per mo, In this case an AU is a pair. It's a bargain as long as you get to use it. There is also the initial cost of the grazing permit which is bought and sold as a commodity. These run easily into 5 figures. My friend bought one a couple of years ago and had to buy the cattle that went with it. She also had to hold them for a specified time frame before they could be disposed of.

That $1.35 AUM is the money paid to the government. The actual cost to the rancher is much higher. Miles and miles of fence to build and maintain, much greater time spent gathering in the fall, higher loss rate, etc. A few years back they did a study comparing the actual total cost of federal grazing vs private leases. They came out pretty close, with the Federal grazing costing a few pennies a month more.

Back on subject. I heard on the radio that in the month of March we had double our normal rainfall and it was colder than normal. The average temperature for the month of March was 41 degrees. I don't think we have cracked 60 degrees yet this year. The guy I get my bulls from said he had 16 inches of rain at his place in March. I am so tired of cold rain and mud.... I am really ready for spring to arrive this year.

Dave":14qord8x said:
3waycross":14qord8x said:
xbred":14qord8x said:

That $1.35 AUM is the money paid to the government. The actual cost to the rancher is much higher. Miles and miles of fence to build and maintain, much greater time spent gathering in the fall, higher loss rate, etc. A few years back they did a study comparing the actual total cost of federal grazing vs private leases. They came out pretty close, with the Federal grazing costing a few pennies a month more.

Not disputing you Dave but who is they and where can I find the study!

Right now it is $1.35 AU per mo, In this case an AU is a pair. It's a bargain as long as you get to use it. There is also the initial cost of the grazing permit which is bought and sold as a commodity. These run easily into 5 figures. My friend bought one a couple of years ago and had to buy the cattle that went with it. She also had to hold them for a specified time frame before they could be disposed of.[/quote]

That $1.35 AUM is the money paid to the government. The actual cost to the rancher is much higher. Miles and miles of fence to build and maintain, much greater time spent gathering in the fall, higher loss rate, etc. A few years back they did a study comparing the actual total cost of federal grazing vs private leases. They came out pretty close, with the Federal grazing costing a few pennies a month more.[/quote]

Not disputing you Dave but who is they and where can I find the study![/quote]

It was several years ago that I read that study. I can't remember who ran the study or even where I found it. I will try to find it. But I know when I read it that the costs listed made logical sence to me. 30-40 years ago I worked on several large ranches in Eastern Washington and Oregon. I know that fencing was a pretty tough chore because of the rough ground and the miles of fence. And gathering 330 pairs out of 33,000 acres of broken up semi timbered ground took weeks in the saddle which increase the cost. Increased oppurtunity for rustlers, just plain idiots with guns (on public land) shooting cows because they were there and no one is around, and cows that manage to dodge you during gather that end up winter killing all increase the actual cost to the rancher. Private leases tend to be on easier land. Back in the day the good easy to manage land was homesteaded. The land left to the BLM and forest service tends to be rougher, more arid, and remote.

Dave":1hu26nnj said:
Back on subject. I heard on the radio that in the month of March we had double our normal rainfall and it was colder than normal. The average temperature for the month of March was 41 degrees. I don't think we have cracked 60 degrees yet this year. The guy I get my bulls from said he had 16 inches of rain at his place in March. I am so tired of cold rain and mud.... I am really ready for spring to arrive this year.

Very disappointing March, cold, wet and muddy. Cows are usually off hay and on pasture by now, not even close to it.

Alan":kmewg1dw said:
Dave":kmewg1dw said:

Very disappointing March, cold, wet and muddy. Cows are usually off hay and on pasture by now, not even close to it.
Haven't fed hay since the 3rd of Janauary.....course I fed for 9 months last year.

1982vett":1i2zaa98 said:
Alan":1i2zaa98 said:
Dave":1i2zaa98 said:

Haven't fed hay since the 3rd of Janauary.....course I fed for 9 months last year.

I always feed hay from Nov 1 to April 1. Some years a little later than April 1. This year it is looking like feeding until May 1. A couple days ago there was a thread on here with some pictures of some guys cows. One of the comment was "nice cows. Now please get those calves out of the mud." I had to go back and look at the pictures. What mud? A little wet dirt in the middle of a pen doesn't qualify as mud. If my calves get off the concrete the mud is belly deep on them, literally. If I stay in the cattle business long enoough this whole place will be concrete with a roof over it.

Very true, some folks feel mud is mud if it sticks to your boots, which I have no problem with it's where you're from and what you're use to. but around here mud is mud when it gets close to hock deep, mud gets old at belly deep. Most of my pastures have at least an inch of standing water in 30 to 40% of them and feed and water is belly deep to the pads..... It's really getting old here.

Ready for some 70 degree + days.

Alan

totally diferant here had no snow to speak of most of march was sunny & 60's and 70's for highs this is unreal for my area.

Latest posts