Rained On Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

RainMan

Reaction score
Last weekend I purchase some chopped grass second cutting small bales @ $3.00 a bale in the field. Learning as I go on the subject of quality (legumes, stems, etc.). Rained 1/4- 1/2" Monday. Same guy called back last night and now wants to sell the remaining bales for $2.00 a bale in the field.

What problems could I expect from buying the hay and does this sound like a fair price for what I believe to be a good quality hay, all be it rained on.

Thanks, CW

Are you saying the bales were rained on, or the grass before it was baled?

If it was cuttings on the ground, just cut and not baled yet, and he let the grass dry back out before he baled it you will only loose a little protien, some color, and might have a chance of mildew if there was still moisture present when it was baled. Otherwise if it dried back out pretty good before bailing there would be nothing wrong with it for cattle feed. Would probably not feed it to horses though.

If they are bales that got rained on, you will stand the chance of some mildew infiltration even if they dried out. Especially if they were stacked after getting wet. A little mildew won't hurt a cow, they might just bawk at it until they realize that's all they got. I would feed it first this winter, so it dosn't have a chance of spoiling worse.

Might also check with you Ag Ext. Agent in regards to the type legumes or grass that the bale consist of. Some could produce toxins when they mildew, but I would think they would be tolerable by most cattle.

The one third reduction in price is about right for once rained on hay. With the weather we have had since Monday that little rain shouldn't hurt it too much. Are you sure that it was second cutting? When did they get enough dry weather earlier to take the first? The starting price.... how close to Seattle are you? The closer to the metro area the higher to price of hay. There is lots of hay in Lewis county right now for a $1.50 a bale. I have even seen some for a buck. Three dollars a bale and I assume they are 50 pound bales is $120 a ton. And for that price you have to pick it up. Dairy grade alfalfa is about $140 a ton delivered and stacked in your barn but you have to buy a truck load. Later this month you will be able to buy good green bluegrass and bent grass straw for $60 a ton delivered and stacked. So price depends where you are, how much you need, and what kind of feed is acceptable to you.
Dave

Dave":3vynen22 said:
The one third reduction in price is about right for once rained on hay. With the weather we have had since Monday that little rain shouldn't hurt it too much. Are you sure that it was second cutting? When did they get enough dry weather earlier to take the first? The starting price.... how close to Seattle are you? The closer to the metro area the higher to price of hay. There is lots of hay in Lewis county right now for a $1.50 a bale. I have even seen some for a buck. Three dollars a bale and I assume they are 50 pound bales is $120 a ton. And for that price you have to pick it up. Dairy grade alfalfa is about $140 a ton delivered and stacked in your barn but you have to buy a truck load. Later this month you will be able to buy good green bluegrass and bent grass straw for $60 a ton delivered and stacked. So price depends where you are, how much you need, and what kind of feed is acceptable to you.
Dave

Thanks for the replies.

Dave: I'm in Skagit County. Over the last few weeks hay priced around $1.50-$4.00 a bale has been plentiful. Weather has been good for the last couple weeks. Just a good shower came through here on Monday and some of it was pretty heavy, depending on the area. I have a relative that hauls alfalfa from the Moses Lake area, but sounds to me like it's still around $130 a ton + the haul (Just what I'm told). They haul a considerable amount from there to here every year, so I don't have much else to go by. As far as the second cutting goes, a cattle rancher takes the first, lets the owner sell the second, then comes back in for a third. They fertilize it heavily with chicken _ _ _ _ between each cutting.

Not that excited about messing with the small bales that much anyway. But the cattle rancher mentioned above more or less is asking for a favor. CW

If this hay is for horses, DO NOT BUY IT. :shock: Moldy hay is lethal to horses. If its for bovine, sheep, goats, then I would call the farmer and tell him that you would love to but it for $1.50 a bale. I have to aggree that he sounds like he is asking for a favor. Good luck and I hope every thing works out.

Rainman...we had a similiar situation here, our grower got caught with cut alfalfa that got rained on and was sun bleached by the time he was able to bail it. He gave us a load to sample but found mold in all the bales so we passed on the "good deal" besides the cattle would only eat about 60% of it so any savings were lost and we don't want a barn load of moldy hay.
If your hay was stacked and tarped you could be OK...pull a few bales from the top and center of the stack and break them open and see how they look, feel and smell.
We pay $100 a ton if we pick it up and $105 delivered in 5 ton loads, can't beat the price....this is for heavy leafed alfalfa/grass, 90+% alflafa. $120.00 a ton for straight alfalfa.
This is in Spokane County.
We see some good deals on wet hay here too...from what I've seen its not worth the money.
Dave Mc

RainMan":cicbzk29 said:
Last weekend I purchase some chopped grass second cutting small bales @ $3.00 a bale in the field. Learning as I go on the subject of quality (legumes, stems, etc.). Rained 1/4- 1/2" Monday. Same guy called back last night and now wants to sell the remaining bales for $2.00 a bale in the field.

What problems could I expect from buying the hay and does this sound like a fair price for what I believe to be a good quality hay, all be it rained on.

Thanks, CW

Like the other asked, was it rained on before it was baled or after? Assuming it was baled dry after a rain I would make an offer of $1.50/bale and see what he says. Even if it was rained on after baling it will be ok for cattle. Come winter feed it first so you don't spoil them. I feed last years hay first assuming I have any left. Being Florida, usually some of mine is "washed" hay. I never bale it wet though. Cows still tear it up come winter. I would never feed "washed" hay to horses but I suspect this is not why you asked since it wasn't on the horse board.

I would watch how moldy the hay actually gets. I had a 7 month calf aborted because of moldy haylage. Everything Ive read says moldy hay is bad to feed cows especially pregnant ones. Just so happens I didndt know the haylage was moldy due to its appearance.

Thanks again for all the replies.

It was baled then the rain. Doing my best to just let the deal pass. Just don't feel comfortable feeding it without the knowledge and experience of the rest of you. Ditto on the offering a lower price. This rancher has went out of his way with me on other occassions. Seems like he is taking me by the hand at times..lol. With that said, I would not offend him by offering a lower price. CW

Latest posts