Ragweed

Help Support CattleToday:

Very seldom. My trailer is set up as a mobile cow camp, so if I usually sleep where my horses are when on the road. If I'm traveling for a conference, or schools out of the country, I stay where
Very seldom. When I'm traveling for schools, I generally stay in my trailer. I'f I'm going abroad or to speak at a conference, I stay where ever they put me.

I'm listening. Let's hear some specifics.
There are a lot of plants ranchers used to depend on for winter browse which they gradually quit eating with advent of tubs and cake. Kathy Voth of On Pasture gives classes on how to teach your cows to eat weeds. She basically does it by top dressing feed with the weeds you want them to eat. But when you change your stockmanship to one where you set them up so that your release is in the direction you want rather than forcing them there, they automatically start looking for the highest nutrition plants available, which are usually weeds and woody plants you don't expect them to eat. Blackberry bushes, multifloral roses, leafy spurge, all ragweeds, cockleburrs, sumac, ironweed and locust. Year before last I ran 145 head of fresh weaned calves on dormant tumbleweeds for six months. Came in averaging 435. Didn't get an average on the whole set, but the top 85 went out averaging 730. Without protein supplement.

You'd be amazed at the number of cattle that won't eat ragweed and a whole host of other things. New it was bad, but didn't really realize how bad we have screwed up the diet diversity in cattle until I started teaching IMG principles.
Bob,

I don't know what IMG principles are...short version explanation? My cattle love giant ragweed....but what they won't eat much of is Lambs Quarter which i have a lot of 10 full acres of it... and will need to mow next year...it seeded again this year. Do you know how to instill or get the cattle addicted to Lambs Quarter...my land would look perfect if the cattle would eat it. Can i spray it with some kind of tasty substance that sticks to it? I have a lot of trees and mowing is rough...i need the cattle to get hungry enough to eat this stuff. What can i do? I want to trick them...what can i do?

Think I've heard or read of people putting molasses on thistle blooms

I think he (Bob) meant MIG (management intensive grazing) principles. Managed grazing, mob grazing, adaptive grazing, planned grazing, holistic grazing, are but a handful of terms for proper grazing.

Google is your friend on that one. Lots and lots of good information out there. Geared primarily towards soil health. My favorite part of it is the low input side other than some labor.

Check out Greg Judy, Allan Williams, and Will Harris on YouTube.

Also, Dr Elaine Ingham, Gabe Brown, Ray Archuleta, and Russ Wilson are worth their weight in gold. Very smart.

There haven't always been herbicides and chemical fertilizers. Same with Bush hogs.

Profit starts and stops in our soils. I'm telling you, this is the direction to go if you want to improve land. It just takes time.

Our cattle eat almost everything.

Think I've heard or read of people putting molasses on thistle blooms

I think he (Bob) meant MIG (management intensive grazing) principles. Managed grazing, mob grazing, adaptive grazing, planned grazing, holistic grazing, are but a handful of terms for proper grazing.

Google is your friend on that one. Lots and lots of good information out there. Geared primarily towards soil health. My favorite part of it is the low input side other than some labor.

Check out Greg Judy, Allan Williams, and Will Harris on YouTube.

Also, Dr Elaine Ingham, Gabe Brown, Ray Archuleta, and Russ Wilson are worth their weight in gold. Very smart.

There haven't always been herbicides and chemical fertilizers. Same with Bush hogs.

Profit starts and stops in our soils. I'm telling you, this is the direction to go if you want to improve land. It just takes time.

Our cattle eat almost everything.

No, he meant IMG which stands for instinctive migratory grazing. I really don't know what it is exactly but it seems to be connected to regenerative ag and I probably have to pay a bunch of money to learn the 'secret' to it.

No, he meant IMG which stands for instinctive migratory grazing. I really don't know what it is exactly but it seems to be connected to regenerative ag and I probably have to pay a bunch of money to learn the 'secret' to it.
Hahaha. I thought it was an autocorrected thing. Abbreviation for image. Thanks for clarifying.

Those damn secrets. And the dude with the secret, who has tried everything under the sun, looks to be 18 years old.

Latest posts