Rafter JH Miniature Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter JH

Reaction score
Howdy all! We are a family of four located in Kaufman County, Texas. We bought our ranch in May of 2019 and have grown to what we are today. We started out with miniature Herefords when our son wanted to start a herd of his own. It has since become a family affair. We have grown in our learning and understanding of these amazing animals. They are sweet, gentle and easy to care for. We don't only have miniature Herefords here on the ranch. We also have Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, horses, chickens, dogs and our little pot belly pig, Cheerio.

Welcome from Va... there are a few miniature cattle owners here in Va but they are not real popular. Do you just raise them for meat for yourselves and some sales? Do you show? Do you milk the goats and are you on some sort of official testing program for milk records for them? I am a DHIA milk tester and there are a couple of farms in Va that actually are on "test" and are getting records on their goats to be included in their registration records.

There is another site that you might want to check out... Backyard Herds... lots of goat people, and a few cattle people... caters to more "family homesteader type" of people... I enjoy it. Several goat members that show also.

Welcome. We were a mini hereford breeder in PA. More like mid sized now. Still like the smaller frame for 4H projects and freezer beef. 1000lb steer seems to be our sweet spot.

Welcome from Va... there are a few miniature cattle owners here in Va but they are not real popular. Do you just raise them for meat for yourselves and some sales? Do you show? Do you milk the goats and are you on some sort of official testing program for milk records for them? I am a DHIA milk tester and there are a couple of farms in Va that actually are on "test" and are getting records on their goats to be included in their registration records.

There is another site that you might want to check out... Backyard Herds... lots of goat people, and a few cattle people... caters to more "family homesteader type" of people... I enjoy it. Several goat members that show also.
We are currently building our herd in order to sell. We have a great breeder bull and 5 heifers right now. All registered. We lucked into it really, our son decided he didn't want to raise them and I started looking for a "subject matter expert". Well, we had a little heifer hit the ground the next morning and this lady had her sold for $3000. My bride and I took a step back and asked if that was normal? She explained it all to us, so we decided to stay in that business rather than going with larger cattle. I grew up ranching in the Panhandle of Texas so I understood large cattle, but these have been great fun to raise.

Thank you for the refrences!

A
Welcome.
I know a miniature Hereford breeder in Lee county, and I know of one in Burleson county.
The guy I know, his grandkids show them.
I forget his name.
Welcome.
I know a miniature Hereford breeder in Lee county, and I know of one in Burleson county.
The guy I know, his grandkids show them.
I forget his name.
I have found there is a fairly large calling for the young kids to show them.

Do miniature Herefords produce minature steaks? Seriously, not being a wiseguy.
Short answer, yes. You get about half the meat you normally would and since they are 34-42 inches at the shoulder, they do have smaller cuts. We are finding that "new to the country" folks who moved out of the big cities, really love them. They are very docile just like the full sized hereford; however, the city folk turned country prefer the size. i suppose the smaller ones aren't as scary.

Latest posts