Racoons

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
How do you get rid of them, I know they prowl around at nite, but we like to sleep at nite.
Tom

Tom, all you need is Coretta, my little Jack Russell, within a few nights they will be gone.

What are they finding to eat? Eliminate it if you can, then they have no reason to be there. Live traps do work, friends of ours trapped a whole colony of raccoons that were raiding their quail over the course of a couple of weeks. Once when we lived in the city, we were punishing our dogs every week for getting into the trash. The neighbors had a paper route and while coming and going at 3 am they discovered it was actually urban raccoons who were tearing up the trash.

curtis":1cyhtexk said:
Tom, all you need is Coretta, my little Jack Russell, within a few nights they will be gone.
Curtis I have a twelve year old Jack Russel and agree with you. Simon would give them hell but he is Kathys lap dog.

Kerley,
If you really want to get rid of them and don't care how, here's the way. Buy a can of fly bait and a can of coke. Put it in a pan, stir it up and put it where the racoons can drink out of it. They will go three steps and die. That's why it's called the three step treatment.
I've used it for years, and so far have never had a cat or dog drink it. It'll kill 'possums also. Probably catch some flack for this suggestion, but the animals can ruin a lot of feed. I have a neighbor that killed 38 rocoons eating out of his creep feeder in a two week period. gs

I've "heard" that Purina Monkey Chow will give the same results to "coons" only. Doesn't bother dogs, cats, etc.

TexasBred":2e6kbdwo said:
I've "heard" that Purina Monkey Chow will give the same results to "coons" only. Doesn't bother dogs, cats, etc.

Probably won't find THAT at the local feedstore, and I do not want to get those LOOKS when I try to order some. :shock:

heck who am I tryin to kid I get those LOOKS anyway. :roll:

How about stringing up some fly paper and sticking some sardines to it. Probably won't kill'em but I bet it would be a real funny video.

Walt

Txwalt":14597vuf said:
How about stringing up some fly paper and sticking some sardines to it. Probably won't kill'em but I bet it would be a real funny video.

Walt
Thats funny. Kathy bought some sardines to put in the trap.
~Tom

Txwalt":am8yzb8t said:

Walt

Heck Walt..then you could just "pick'em" like beans. ;-)

BTW 3Way when someone goes into the Purina store and orders monkey chow lst thing the mgr usually does is look around to see who's in the store then ask you "Got problems with Coons?" :nod:

TexasBred":31ijoss9 said:
Txwalt":31ijoss9 said:

Walt

Heck Walt..then you could just "pick'em" like beans. ;-)

BTW 3Way when someone goes into the Purina store and orders monkey chow lst thing the mgr usually does is look around to see who's in the store then ask you "Got problems with Coons?" :nod:

Heck around here he make you bring the Monkey in so he could see him.

kenny thomas":1dcxxe8a said:
Sounds like you need my hounds. I would lease them to you for a modest price. :D
Maybe charge so much per coon. :???:
We do have coons lol

3waycross":2hzhyihi said:
CKC1586":2hzhyihi said:
SaddleSore":2hzhyihi said:
Golden Malrin....aka Blue Death
Oh and be sure to mix it up strong enough or they go further than the "three steps" and die then ya gotta go looking for the "smell"

CKC what is your experience with this method relative to dogs and cats. On a ranch it's a pretty tuff job to put this mixture where ONLY the coons can get to it.
I have never had a dog or cat get into the coke mixture, have had a possum tho. I use those disposable tin foil roasting pans and put a rock in the bottom so it won't tip over, then put in the potion. I am in the middle of a woods so have way too many coon around here, they tear up mineral bags, grain, bird feeders, and whatever else they decide they want to. Even tore holes in bags of mulch that were stacked by the house. Nasty dirty vermin!

get a few "live" traps and a pistol (it doesn't matter if you already have one gun or 12,you need another.... :mrgreen: )

Catch the coon in the trap and then.......pow! no more coon.......
BC

Latest posts