Rabbits??

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to raise show rabbits (Mini lops). Rabbits are very easy to raise, breed and take care of. I always thought meat rabbits would be a good deal.
Aprille

I've raised meat rabbits (checker giant and california) in the past. I've thought about doing it again, but our summers are way hotter than they used to be and I don't have a good place to keep them cool.
One of our daughters has a pet bunny. He's an indoor rabbit and used a litter box.

Growing up in South Carolina we raised meat rabbits. During the summer everyday when we said we had to pull up the dead ones. And that was with misters and fans on them.

A friend of ours has been trying to convince us to raise meat rabbits. I wasn't convinced before and you've not helped change my mind. We're probably not as hot as TX & SC, but 95+ isn't uncommon either. I'm not sure about processing them either. Bunnies are really cute.

35 years ago I had a barn full of them now I'm starting over but just a few this time. My 10 year old daughter loves them.

0028a7be-7bba-4ac5-9beb-682c674def32_zpse4522fc0.jpg

CottageFarm":94x0rtn5 said:
A friend of ours has been trying to convince us to raise meat rabbits. I wasn't convinced before and you've not helped change my mind. We're probably not as hot as TX & SC, but 95+ isn't uncommon either. I'm not sure about processing them either. Bunnies are really cute.
Even cuter roasted with a can of cream of mushroom, carrots, and celery. ;-)

I like rabbit, too. I'm just sayin' I don't want to kill them, and I ain't gonna pay someone else to do it.
I raise my own beef, pork, turkey, chicken and duck. I don't desperately need to add rabbit to my diet. Our friend insists we could make some money at it, but I still don't want to kill them. Did I mention they're really cute.

Did it for years when we were first married. Like the meat a lot and can kill em but don't like doing it.

Did i mention that they really taste good and are very digestible!

Cottage you can raise em anywhere in Co. It ain't that hot!

BTW the wife made me quit. She says they look like i skinned her cat. I begged her to let me do an actual comparision..........that's when the fight started :cowboy:

3waycross":2p65rahm said:
Did it for years when we were first married. Like the meat a lot and can kill em but don't like doing it.

Did i mention that they really taste good and are very digestible!

Cottage you can raise em anywhere in Co. It ain't that hot!

BTW the wife made me quit. She says they look like i skinned her cat. I begged her to let me do an actual comparision..........that's when the fight started :cowboy:
My dad is one of the few people (that's not asia) that skins cats for a living.

By the time they're fryer size they aren;t all that cute anymore, just smallish rabbits. There should be a couple of litters of smaller ones that are still at the cute stage, at least for a couple of weeks they'll be cute.
Maybe running a commercial rabbitry has a tendency to jade you somewhat.

Rabbit has white meat and is delicious. My husband does not mind butchering rabbits. They are much cleaner than chickens. It really is fairly easy. hold it by it's back legs and whack it in the back of the head with a hammer.

A rabbit was the first home grown critter that I ever ate. I was in my late 20's. I felt a little odd at first, but it tasted so good I really didn't care.

I've raised em for years.. rabbit and deer are my two favorites put on the table for eating. Nothing like golden fried rabbit..

Limomike":30u4jtjm said:
I've raised em for years.. rabbit and deer are my two favorites put on the table for eating. Nothing like golden fried rabbit..

Ditto on both as long as they are "your" deer. Ours taste like sagebrush!

Latest posts