Rabbits

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Tilling my garden patch for the spring soon. Got a question though. I live way out in the country and rabbits are a real pest out here for gardeners. I use chicken wire to try and keep the critters out. Question is, should I place the chicken wire a few inches deep in the ground to keep those furry creatures out as best I can. I guess my thinking is they can't burrow under the wire if it's deep enough. Thanks for any replies.

Dick

My garden fence has the netting buried about a foot below the surface.We have a rabbit problem. Wish the calici virus was successful. The rabbits chew some of my plants when they do get in. I've put pepper on some of the leaves of the plants they love,it seems to work. Having 9 little fluffy dogs helps too (Shih Tzu s and maltese cross)
Colin

I'd say the cunning little things would burrow under it. I have a friend that keeps snakes out of his bird cages, by laying bird netting on the ground outside each cage. The snake crawls over it then becomes entangled in it then you get rid of it,the snake I mean.Sorry I've gone from rabbits to snakes.

I thought everyone new how to get rid of rabbits.
You just hide behind a bush and make a sound like a carrot .
When they come running to get it wap em with a bat.
Then take some of those veggies from the garden and make a stew.

We keep our hair when we get it cut and spread it around the garden..... i dont no how but it seems to keep the rabbits out and away from the veggies

icandoit":z8jit6oa said:
Tilling my garden patch for the spring soon. Got a question though. I live way out in the country and rabbits are a real pest out here for gardeners. I use chicken wire to try and keep the critters out. Question is, should I place the chicken wire a few inches deep in the ground to keep those furry creatures out as best I can. I guess my thinking is they can't burrow under the wire if it's deep enough. Thanks for any replies.

Dick

Why don't you build her a greenhouse.

funky 4-Her":2c0moy92 said:
We keep our hair when we get it cut and spread it around the garden..... i dont no how but it seems to keep the rabbits out and away from the veggies
If you have an overabundance of hair I'll take some. Color is irrelevant!

A friend of mine down south went to a gravel pit and got a bunch of belting to put under the fence and then pinned the fence down thru it. I think the stuff he got was 5' wide. He said it worked for the rabbits and controled the grass from growing thru the fence.Z

Caustic Burno":3km04syp said:
A one eyed Beagle and a 410 fill the freezer up in a night.

Have a lot more trouble from deer requires a little bigger gun to go with the flashlight.

Deer + Gun + Flashlight = Big no no. The game warden may not buy " I was just scaring them off "

Since my Dad is a Game Warden, I've heard many a good story.

:lol:

Dave.. I think you are right in that assumption.

As far as a fence around a garden... we use weld wire fencing.. its strong enough to be right at ground level, and the rabbits dont burrow under it. But, I do have a blue healer and black lab that are real close by, just in case something comes in for a closer look.

Aneighbor had the same problem so he planted 3 rows of hot pepper plants around the outside of the garden. The first couple of days you could see where the pepper plants had been nibbled on. After that he didn;t have any more rabbit problems.
A friend of mine sets up box traps and eats a lot of rabbit but he doesn;t have a problem with them eating his garden

dun

dun":31bexuof said:
Aneighbor had the same problem so he planted 3 rows of hot pepper plants around the outside of the garden. The first couple of days you could see where the pepper plants had been nibbled on. After that he didn;t have any more rabbit problems.
A friend of mine sets up box traps and eats a lot of rabbit but he doesn;t have a problem with them eating his garden

dun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wish rabbits is all I had.Got coons,possums,skunks,squirrels,
deer,armadillos,crows,birds,wild pigs,coyotes,snakes.Only way I can see to have a garden will be complete chicken wire covered.I tried electric fence,radio/bright lights,12 ga. 3"mag,
45-70,22,8mm mag,44 mag,rottweilers.But if I was gone for the weekend,those critters have a real party in the garden.I gave up. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: