r-calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From BEEF Cow-Calf weekly

R-CALF Backs Away From Food Safety Claim
The National Meat Association (NMA) filed with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals its response brief in R-CALF v. USDA. NMA argues there is ample evidence in the record to sustain a finding that USDA's Final Rule presented no substantial risk to human health and that the preliminary injunction should never have been entered.

But, R-CALF's response filed with the Ninth Circuit last week makes this surprising admission, NMA says: "R-CALF USA [has] never argued that there was a great risk to human health from resumed imports of cattle and beef from Canada."

In the aftermath of this statement, NMA is asking: "If R-CALF has never argued there's a great risk to human health from resumed imports, what was the purpose of the advertisement it took out in the Washington Post, which clearly linked the Canadian BSE situation to U.S. beef safety? Don't they believe their own rhetoric?"

NMA says no one may be more surprised than the Billings, MT, District Court that delayed the border reopening on the basis of "an increased risk to human health," even describing a "genuine risk of death for U.S. consumers" in its decision.

"R-CALF's latter-day admission that there is no great risk to human health from resumed imports of Canadian cattle and beef utterly undermines the basis for the District Court's decision," NMA says.

Instead, NMA says R-CALF now claims USDA didn't do a proper quantitative analysis.

"Apparently R-CALF failed to read the Harvard Risk Assessment. Authored by leading world experts, that assessment is the quantitative analysis of risk with which USDA supported its Rule," NMA says.

See the brief at http://www.nmaonline.org/html/pr4_4_05.htm.
-- NMA's Lean Trimmings newsletter

Just throw out a little something to stall the opening, doesn't matter if there is any proof involved! This way they think that if they backpeddle a little before it goes to court, they will not have to argue a false statement under oath. This is like a bad divorce case, throw out your wild caims and false acusations beforehand and then back away slowly and hope the public doesn't notice. There will be no penalty to r-calf so what do they care if it was all a lie.

mwj":2ihp2v9b said:
Just throw out a little something to stall the opening, doesn't matter if there is any proof involved! This way they think that if they backpeddle a little before it goes to court, they will not have to argue a false statement under oath. This is like a bad divorce case, throw out your wild caims and false acusations beforehand and then back away slowly and hope the public doesn't notice. There will be no penalty to r-calf so what do they care if it was all a lie.

Oh there is a penalty coming all right.A 7 million dollar a day lawsuit launched by fair market beef against r-calf and its members.Its already over 200 million in damages.

Frenchman..I hope none of the rest of us have to chip in on that penalty...maybe rcalf can take up a collection FROM the lawyers this time instead of taking it up FOR em.LOL

tapeworm":28zxnshi said:
Frenchman..I hope none of the rest of us have to chip in on that penalty...maybe rcalf can take up a collection FROM the lawyers this time instead of taking it up FOR em.LOL

Maybe the lawyers can donate a few head of good calves to auction off at some more fund raising events. At the prices they get when they resell them they would only need a couple of ''pot'' loads :p

tapeworm":13w1avh8 said:

The scope of the lawsuit is limited to R-calf and its members...its a shame..its come to this .

I think R-CALF may be in a pickle this time. By submitting those documents to court and now saying that they are untrue, they've perjured themselves. I don't think R-CALF will last very long now between perjury and the libel/slander suit. I expect them to disband very shortly.

If you guys believe what BEEF magazine or AMI says may have been said than I have some Florida prime swampland for sale.. :lol:

Its sad that what should be taking place in a courtroom has to be played out in the media by all the paid PR people- and by both sides-- but I guess that is the political world of today.....

cattlerack- I talked with an R-CALF individual the other day- Canada's threatened libel/slander lawsuit has been the biggest revenue generator for R-CALF in a long time--that along with $1.10 feeder prices and $1.50+ calf prices-- membership is still increasing by large numbers- almost 3000 members since the first of the year....In order for Canada to prove a libel/slander case they first have to prove that they have no BSE or no higher incidence or risk of BSE- which is impossible since they have found 4 cases of Canadian origin and the US has found NONE...All they will do is further spread the word to the world that Canada has BSE.....

Oldtimer":33gzlx9v said:
If you guys believe what BEEF magazine or AMI says may have been said than I have some Florida prime swampland for sale.. :lol:

Its sad that what should be taking place in a courtroom has to be played out in the media by all the paid PR people- and by both sides-- but I guess that is the political world of today.....

cattlerack- I talked with an R-CALF individual the other day- Canada's threatened libel/slander lawsuit has been the biggest revenue generator for R-CALF in a long time--that along with $1.10 feeder prices and $1.50+ calf prices-- membership is still increasing by large numbers- almost 3000 members since the first of the year....In order for Canada to prove a libel/slander case they first have to prove that they have no BSE or no higher incidence or risk of BSE- which is impossible since they have found 4 cases of Canadian origin and the US has found NONE...All they will do is further spread the word to the world that Canada has BSE.....

What part of Little Lying Leo saying that 'Canada is still slaughtering downer cattle' do you consider to be the truth? Course i imagine at this point being in as deep as you are fact and fiction are prob'ly one and the same to you.

Cattle Rack Rancher":29ojjly5 said:
Oldtimer":29ojjly5 said:

What part of Little Lying Leo saying that 'Canada is still slaughtering downer cattle' do you consider to be the truth? Course i imagine at this point being in as deep as you are fact and fiction are prob'ly one and the same to you.

Are you? Or Aren't you? Maybe he has proof that you still are- if I remember right, it was in all the papers about an eastern Canada slaughter house that had been caught doing that not long ago......That along with the USDA "mistakenly" allowing packers to bring in banned beef...There are a lot of things on both sides of the border that have not been openly revealed... That is why I anxiously await the July trial to see what evidence is presented....

Oldtimer":qpvbrgu8 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":qpvbrgu8 said:
Oldtimer":qpvbrgu8 said:

Are you? Or Aren't you? Maybe he has proof that you still are- if I remember right, it was in all the papers about an eastern Canada slaughter house that had been caught doing that not long ago......That along with the USDA "mistakenly" allowing packers to bring in banned beef...There are a lot of things on both sides of the border that have not been openly revealed... That is why I anxiously await the July trial to see what evidence is presented....

Where did you read that? R-CALF Fiction Weekly? Why wait til July, Jim Murray and the boys are in Montana today getting lined up for the lawsuit. Better hope your name's not on their list :lol:

Cattlerack-Remember all those months when AMI, USDA, NCBA, and all the Canadian groups kept saying that Canada's small quantity of cattle and beef had no effect on US cattle or beef prices? Now look at what they are saying-- makes you wonder who's been spinning yarns ;-) AMI is now concerned about the mothers and children of the world :?: -- They weren't very worried about Canadians when they were paying you $30 for your fats, while shipping it into the US at huge profits- I didn't see them dropping their profits to benefit the poor of the world.....

AMI Says Beef Prices Skyrocketing -- According to analysis by USDA's Economic Research Service, consumers are seeing the largest increase in beef prices since the 1970's. Due to the increase in price, American Meat Institute spokesperson Janet Riley says low-income Americans are turning away from beef. Riley says the embargo on Canadian beef and litigation to maintain the border closure are behind the trend toward higher prices. "It's time for these producers to stop focusing on their growing bank accounts and start focusing on the mothers and children that are struggling to afford beef." The AMI represents the meat packing industry and says beef prices will continue to rise if the United States doesn't resume live cattle trade with Canada.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1b2zawjc said:
Oldtimer":1b2zawjc said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":1b2zawjc said:
Oldtimer":1b2zawjc said:

Where did you read that? R-CALF Fiction Weekly? Why wait til July, Jim Murray and the boys are in Montana today getting lined up for the lawsuit. Better hope your name's not on their list :lol:

Cattlerack-- Are your lawyers going to include in all the Senators that have argued that same higher risk argument?-- or the 52 Senators that voted against the opening of the border?-- Or the 30 some Congressmen that are introducing the same legislation into the House? How about the US District Court Federal Judge that said that evidence exists to show that Canadian beef presents a "genuine risk" of death to consumers :?:

AMI Says Beef Prices Skyrocketing -- According to analysis by USDA's Economic Research Service, consumers are seeing the largest increase in beef prices since the 1970's. Due to the increase in price, American Meat Institute spokesperson Janet Riley says low-income Americans are turning away from beef. Riley says the embargo on Canadian beef and litigation to maintain the border closure are behind the trend toward higher prices. "It's time for these producers to stop focusing on their growing bank accounts and start focusing on the mothers and children that are struggling to afford beef." The AMI represents the meat packing industry and says beef prices will continue to rise if the United States doesn't resume live cattle trade with Canada.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm surprised to see that Corporate America has such compassion for those poor low income Americans. Good to see such good corporate citizenship. :lol: Meanwhile you guys can just keep running around and telling the world how unsafe North American beef is and just see where that gets you.

"and the truth shall set you free", come on Oldtimer give em some more..NCBA and some of its members have to come to the understanding, its not going to be business as usual. The ant mound has been kicked, and some producers have had enough of the NCBA being the mouthpiece of packers.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1dqtr68j said:
I think R-CALF may be in a pickle this time. By submitting those documents to court and now saying that they are untrue, they've perjured themselves. I don't think R-CALF will last very long now between perjury and the libel/slander suit. I expect them to disband very shortly.
I hope you are right! The arrogance and hubristic attitude of that type of person(s) stems from Greed of Power and Money! And the word "Defeat" is not in their vocabulary. But I say "What Goes Around-Comes Around!" Never Let Up and Never Give Up! And they HAVE perjured themselves.

Latest posts