R-CALF: Report Suggests Canada May Be Noncompliant

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
R-CALF: Report Suggests Canada May Be Noncompliant With Minimal Risk Rule

7/27/2007 7:56:00 AM

R-CALF: Report Suggests Canada May Be Noncompliant With Minimal Risk Rule

Washington, D.C. â€" In a formal letter sent today, R-CALF USA has asked Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns to determine if Canada is in violation of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) Minimal Risk Region Rule (Final Rule) and explain to Canada that it immediately needs to begin testing all known herd mates and feed mates of BSE-positive cattle in order to maintain its status as a ‘minimal risk’ region under U.S. regulations.

On Wednesday, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) released its official report on its 11th native case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), which the Canadian government confirmed on May 2, 2007. The report implies that CFIA allowed five cows from the same herd of cattle as the infected cow â€" which also consumed the same feed as the infected cow â€" to be destroyed and disposed of without first testing these animals for BSE.

“The report further indicates that CFIA intends to do the same thing with 36 more cows from the infected herd, despite the likelihood that some or all of them consumed the same contaminated feed as the animal that tested positive for BSE,” wrote R-CALF USA President/Region VI Director Max Thornsberry, a Missouri veterinarian who also chairs the group’s animal health committee.

In the United Kingdom (UK) where â€" along with all of Europe and Japan â€" a far more comprehensive BSE testing regime is practiced, only 35 percent of BSE-infected herds had only one case of BSE, while 49 percent of the BSE-infected herds had three or more BSE cases, with one herd having 124 cases. (See: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/bse/sta ... -cases.htm.)

“The information compiled from the United Kingdom’s BSE testing program enabled it to identify weaknesses in its BSE mitigation program, prompting the United Kingdom to progressively update its elementary ruminant-to-ruminant feed ban on four separate occasions, following the unsatisfactory results realized by its testing data after each preceding update,” Thornsberry wrote.

If CFIA is not testing herd mates and feed mates of known BSE cases, as the CFIA report infers (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... este.shtml), then Canada appears to be in violation of the Final Rule.

“Failure to test cattle with a high likelihood of BSE does not constitute an investigation sufficient to confirm the adequacy of Canada’s BSE testing measures, nor does it comply with the requirement that Canada take additional risk mitigation measures, as necessary, following a BSE outbreak,” the letter states. (See: Federal Register, Vol. 70, No. 2, Jan. 4, 2005, at 463.)

“Moreover, such a failure would render Canada’s surveillance program ineffective both for identifying the true population of infected animals and estimating whether its BSE outbreak is on the increase or decline,” the letter continues. “The testing of these herd mates and feed mates would, at least, provide us with some information about the likelihood that some of the 92 animals that already had died and the 23 others that could not be located also were likely to be infected with the disease.”

In closing, R-CALF USA requested that USDA immediately determine if the inferences in the CFIA report regarding the disposal of untested herd mates and feed mates of the BSE-infected cow are statements of fact.

If so, R-CALF USA requested that USDA notify Canada that it is not in compliance with U.S. regulations and that Canada needs to immediately begin testing all known herd mates and feed mates of BSE-positive cattle to maintain compliance with the Final Rule.

Note: To view the letter, visit the “BSE-Litigation” link at http://www.r-calfusa.com, or contact R-CALF USA Communications Coordinator Shae Dodson.

I am sure we are as pristine as you folks are. Which to the best of my knowledge is why you have never seen me write a "pointed finger" post on this subject.

Unlike several here from both sides of the border.

In the end I do not care. Lets just close the border and be done.

That way you can import from Brazil and Mexico and we can just continue to develop our own markets.

Bez>

I dont think we need to close the border permanently Bez,I do think we need to do every thing possible to minimize BSE,and my take on this letter is doing just that.
I think some of you folks may be taking the BSE issue too lightly,others are trying to turn it into a illegal trade barrier,when in fact its necessary to protect the North American cattle industry,if this entails a temporary quarantine then so be it,considering the alternative ?
good luck

HAY MAKER":1fdj17hx said:
I dont think we need to close the border permanently Bez,I do think we need to do every thing possible to minimize BSE,and my take on this letter is doing just that.
I think some of you folks may be taking the BSE issue too lightly,others are trying to turn it into a illegal trade barrier,when in fact its necessary to protect the North American cattle industry,if this entails a temporary quarantine then so be it,considering the alternative ?
good luck

In fact I do believe we need to close the borders both ways. I would like to see it happen for at least 5 years - more is better.

Unfortunately for us in this country it will not happen. And trust me - there are many up here who want to do that.

As for taking BSE lightly - I still have several 100 thousand dollars worth of debt from this disease. You can be sure I do not take it lightly.

A sales thing - If you have one client - and the client squezzes you for a better price - you comply or lose the client - and go broke. That is the U.S. of A. and Canada at present.

If you have a bunch of clients - now you can negotiate, argue, decide the price or walk away and not be hurt. That is the U.S. of A. today.

But ... it is not Canada. I want to get there so I do not have to worry when the elephant rolls over in bed that I, as the mouse, will get crushed.

Cattle orgs in this country worry to the extreme about ppissing off the U.S. of A. - it actually holds back the advancement of our own business. Time to stop dealing completely with the U.S. of A. - allow us to develop and become one of the leaders in the world beef trade.

Have a good one,

Bez>

HAY MAKER":1bvv1boo said:
I think some of you folks may be taking the BSE issue too lightly

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Whatever.
The fact that you can even say that tells it all. We as Canadian producers live with the effects of BSE everyday. The boarder needs to close maybe permanently. But the US packers will never let that happen. We do not need untested US beef being shipped to Canada either. Just remember when you point your finger there are three pointing back at you.

#1 Its just a matter of time till BSE runs its course.
#2 The US has country of orgin labeling.
#3 The captive supply reform act.
#4 The beef check off promoting home grown beef.
Now the question becomes.........can you prosper in a market enviroment like this ?
I hope the canadian cattle man is positioning himself ........good luck Bez.

Don't worry Bez---It won't be long and King George will have your country taken over anyway...Be flying the NAU flag and using the Amero for currency....All the real laws will be being made by the John Tysons and George Soros's of the world...King George will just run the wars and conquests those elitist folks need to keep expanding their bankroll :roll: ;-)

And in exchange for all this free Mexican labor and the privilege of being Americas little adopted brother- all you have to give up is your sovereignty, natural resources (including your timber, minerals, water, oil, and the other 40% of natural gas that NAFTA doesn't take), all that podunk Canuck heritage, and maybe your first born if Mr. Tyson can't get enough Mexicans to move into the cold weather and run his sweatshops.....
;-)

Here's the link: http://www.mexidata.info/id1456.html
Monday, July 23, 2007

Canadians in the Dark About SPP Union with the USA and Mexico

By Kevin Parkinson

· The purpose of the Canada-USA-Mexico meeting in August, at Montebello, Quebec, is to ratify the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America

In less than a month’s time, on August 20, the most powerful president in the world will be arriving in Montebello, Quebec, for a two-day conference. President George W. Bush will be meeting with Stephen Harper and their Mexican counterpart, Felipe Calderon. So far, the silence from the Canadian and American media has been deafening.

Talk to 90 percent of people on the street and they won’t know about this upcoming conference, and if by a slim chance they do, they won’t know the purpose of the meeting or why the leaders of Canada, the United States and Mexico are meeting in the dog days of summer under what amounts to a veil of secrecy.

So, what’s this upcoming conference all about, and why are the newspapers, radio and television keeping silent about it?

The purpose of the upcoming conference is to ratify the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) of North America, which was initiated by Bush, Martin and ex-President Vicente Fox in 2005 in Waco, Texas. Essentially, this so-called ‘partnership’ will result in what the politicians refer to as ‘continental integration’ â€" newspeak for a North American Union â€" and basically a harmonization of 100’s of regulations, policies and laws.

In layman’s terms it means that once this ‘partnership’ has been ratified, which is a fait accompli, we will be following in the footsteps of the European Union. It will mean that Canada will become part of the North American Union by 2010, and that our resources, agricultural, health and environment issues, to name a few, will be controlled not by Canada but by the government of the North American Union.

A huge ‘NAFTA’ highway, one quarter of a mile wide, is already being built in Texas, where private land is being expropriated, and will eventually reach the Manitoba border.

Water will be the ‘issue’ of this century, as more than 25 states in the United States are currently in desperate need. Where do you think they will get the water they need?

The United States is already guaranteed 60 percent of our natural gas resources from NAFTA, which means that even during emergencies, when we need energy, we will have to import it, while we are forced to export gas to the U.S. This is just one example of how Canada is being shortchanged, and it’s only going to get worse.

Why has there been absolutely NO public consultation on the biggest issue (North American Union) facing Canadians since Confederation? Why isn’t Guy Lauzon, our local MP for Stormont, Dundas and South Glengarry, holding town hall meetings, bringing in cabinet ministers and explaining how the emerging North American Union will affect our Canadian way of life? Ask the citizens of Canada for their feedback. Isn’t that how democracy is supposed to work?

Folks, I suggest that Mr. Lauzon isn’t even aware of the SPP or the North American Union, which explains why the Conservative government has denied all Canadians information to which they are entitled. If he does have something to say about it, then let him raise the issue in our riding.

Furthermore, the example of the North American Union illustrates that our government claims to be democratic â€" but in fact does it act like one, or does it prefer to make the big decisions at committee level behind closed doors, while masking its real intentions?

The ratification of the SPP, and the emergence of the North American Union, have been organized entirely by government committees and private enterprise. I refer readers to my website at http://www.realitycheck.typepad.com for further information on the North American Union.

If our citizenry allows the North American Union to come into existence, then our way of life will change drastically, for the years to come. With privatization of our resources, increased foreign ownership, and a Canadian government with less and less authority, our children and grandchildren will become ‘North Americans’ and our quality of life will drastically decline.

The founding fathers of Canada must be rolling over in their graves.

R-CALF

July 26, 2007
The Honorable Mike Johanns
Secretary of Agriculture
U.S. Department of Agriculture
14th Street and Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20250
Dear Secretary Johanns,
Yesterday, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issued its investigative report of
Canada’s 11th native case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), which is available at
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... este.shtml.
Like the findings of the 11 preceding investigative reports, one for each confirmed case in cattle
living in or originating from Canada, the cause of infection is inconclusive, though crosscontamination
of animal feed was determined as the most likely source.
The report implies that CFIA allowed five cows from the same herd of cattle as the infected cow,
which also consumed the same feed as the infected cow, to be destroyed and disposed of without
first testing these animals for BSE. The report further indicates that CFIA intends to do the same
thing with 36 more cows from the infected herd, despite the likelihood that some or all of them
consumed the same contaminated feed as the animal that tested positive for BSE.
In the United Kingdom where, along with all of Europe and Japan, a far more comprehensive
BSE testing regime is practiced, only 35 percent of BSE-infected herds had only one case of
BSE while 49 percent of the BSE-infected herds had three or more BSE cases, with one herd
having 124 cases. (See: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/bse/sta ... -cases.htm.) The
information compiled from the United Kingdom’s BSE testing program enabled it to identify
weaknesses in its BSE mitigation program, prompting the United Kingdom to progressively
update its elementary ruminant-to-ruminant feed ban on four separate occasions, following the
unsatisfactory results realized by its testing data after each preceding update.
If CFIA is not testing herd mates and feed mates of known BSE cases, as this report infers, then
Canada would appear to be in violation of USDA’ Minimal Risk Region Rule. Failure to test
cattle with a high likelihood of BSE does not constitute an investigation sufficient to confirm the
adequacy of Canada’s BSE mitigation measures, nor does it comply with the requirement that
Canada take additional risk mitigation measures, as necessary, following a BSE outbreak. (See
Federal Register, Vol. 70, No. 2, January 4, 2005, at 463.) Moreover, such a failure would
render Canada’s surveillance program ineffective both for identifying the true population of
infected animals and estimating whether its BSE outbreak is on the increase or decline. The
testing of these herd mates and feed mates would, at least, provide us with some information
R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America
P.O. Box 30715
Billings, MT 59107
Phone: 406-252-2516
Fax: 406-252-3176
E-mail: [email protected]
Mike Johanns, USDA Secretary of Agriculture
July 26, 2007
Page 2 of 2
about the likelihood that some of the 92 animals that already had died and the 23 others that
could not be located also were likely to be infected with the disease.
R-CALF USA respectfully requests that USDA immediately determine if the inferences
contained in the CFIA report regarding the disposal of untested herd mates and feed mates of the
BSE-infected cow are actually statements of fact. If so, then we further request that USDA notify
Canada that it is not in compliance with U.S. regulations and explain to Canada that it needs to
immediately begin testing all known herd mates and feed mates of BSE-positive cattle in order to
maintain its status as a “minimal risk” region under the regulations.
Sincerely,
R.M. Thornsberry, D.V.M.
R-CALF USA Board President
Cc: The Honorable Tom Harkin
The Honorable Saxby Chambliss
The Honorable Max Baucus
The Honorable Lindsey Graham
The Honorable Collin Peterson
The Honorable Bob Goodlatte

http://www.r-calfusa.com/BSE/072607RCAL ... ohanns.pdf

USDA Fights Court Decision
Approving BSE Tests
From Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
[email protected]
5-30-7

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected];
[email protected];[email protected] [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:07 PM
Subject: USDA VS CREEKSTONE BSE/BASE/TSE TESTING Civil Action No. 06-0544
(JR)

May 27, 2007

Honorable Michael Johanns
Secretary of Agriculture
Room 200 Jamie Whitten Federal Building
Washington, D.C. 20250

CC

Honorable Judge James Robertson
U.S. District Court
333 Constitution Ave. North West
Washington, D. C. 20001

Subject: Request to let the Creekstone vs. USDA court decision stand.

Ref: Letter from United States Animal Health Association, dated May 22,

Dear Mr. Secretary et al :

I am requesting that you allow the court decision in the Creekstone vs. USDA
to stand so that Creekstone may begin testing the beef they process for BSE
and or BASE and or any other TSE phenotype there of. WE must let them test
since the USDA et al refuse to do so properly. This is not to say that there
should be no strict TSE testing protocols. IF testing is to take place
privately, there must be strict TSE testing protocol to assure the most up
to date, sensitive, and validated tests are used, and used properly. These
tests must be announced to the public in a timely manner at every step of
the way, validated and confirmed by the federal government, Weybridge, and
an independent third party consumer organization and there TSE expert of
choice, in my opinion.

My mother died from a exceedingly rare strain of sporadic CJD i.e. the
Heidenhain Variant of CJD. My neighbors mother also lost his mother to a
form of sporadic CJD exactly one year previously from the day my mother
died. BOTH cases were confirmed by autopsy. There is new data out about the
BASE atypical BSE, which pathologically is more related to a phenotype of
sporadic CJD, than the nvCJD in humans from the UK. To continue to ignore
these scientific findings with the old UKBSEnvCJD only theory is not
justified by science anymore. It is not logical.

The logic behind the reasons not to let test for TSE in the USA because of
The Virus Serum Toxin Act of 1913 and or because of the recent letter from
the USAHA (see letter below) bring forth, are totally bogus. NO one could
screw the testing up any worse than the USDA has done in the past. The OIG
and the GAO has shown this time and time again. The 2004 Enhanced BSE
surveillance program where some 275,000+ cattle were tested for BSE was
proven to be terribly flawed from the beginning. This documented time and
time again. Even Paul Brown, known and respected TSE scientist, former TSE
expert for the CDC said he had ''absolutely no confidence in USDA tests
before one year ago'', and this was on March 15, 2006 ;

"The fact the Texas cow showed up fairly clearly implied the existence of
other undetected cases," Dr. Paul Brown, former medical director of the
National Institutes of Health's Laboratory for Central Nervous System
Studies and an expert on mad cow-like diseases, told United Press
International. "The question was, 'How many?' and we still can't answer
that."

Brown, who is preparing a scientific paper based on the latest two mad cow
cases to estimate the maximum number of infected cows that occurred in the
United States, said he has "absolutely no confidence in USDA tests before
one year ago" because of the agency's reluctance to retest the Texas cow
that initially tested positive.

USDA officials finally retested the cow and confirmed it was infected seven
months later, but only at the insistence of the agency's inspector general.

"Everything they did on the Texas cow makes everything USDA did before 2005
suspect," Brown said. ...snip...end

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/ ... 5557-1284r

CDC - Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy and Variant Creutzfeldt ... Dr. Paul
Brown is Senior Research Scientist in the Laboratory of Central Nervous
System ... Address for correspondence: Paul Brown, Building 36, Room 4A-05,

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no1/brown.htm

PAUL BROWN COMMENT TO ME ON THIS ISSUE

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:10 AM

"Actually, Terry, I have been critical of the USDA handling of the mad cow
issue for some years, and with Linda Detwiler and others sent lengthy
detailed critiques and recommendations to both the USDA and the Canadian
Food Agency."

OR, what the Honorable Phyllis Fong of the OIG found ;

Audit Report
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Surveillance Program ­ Phase II
and
Food Safety and Inspection Service

Controls Over BSE Sampling, Specified Risk Materials, and Advanced Meat
Recovery Products - Phase III

Report No. 50601-10-KC January 2006

Finding 2 Inherent Challenges in Identifying and Testing High-Risk Cattle
Still Remain

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/50601-10-KC.pdf

Mr. Johanns,

The August 4, 1997 FDA BSE ruminant to ruminant feed ban was nothing more
than ink on paper. In 2007 alone, 10 MILLION plus pounds of banned blood
laced MBM has already gone out into commerce for the feeding of banned
product to cattle. yes, were still feeding cows banned BSE/BASE product in
2007, almost 10 years after the voluntary ban was put in place. guess what,
it aint working.

YOU and this Administration have failed terribly in protecting not only the
consumer, but your precious commodity that you speak so highly of i.e. the
beef industry. In your continued efforts to cover up the real mad cow
problem in the USA, you have in fact only amplified it and continued it's
spread, and in doing so, you have needlessly exposed millions to the TSE
agent, from many different proven routes and sources. The only saving grace
you have is the incubation period has been on your side. It will catch up.
When it does, when the people finally figure all this out, when some of the
millions you have needlessly exposed to this agent become clinical in the
future, rest assured I will stand in line to see that you and your
administration are convicted for murder.

What you and this administration have done over the past 8 years is
criminal, in my opinion. I have watched not only you, but the Bush
administration thumb there nose to science for almost 8 years, all to
protect the beef industry. The science was there, but you chose to ignore
it, and even manipulated science with the bogus BSE MRR policy, all the
while your were implementing that, you were covering up another mad cow in
Texas. But thanks to the Honorable Phyllis Fong of the OIG, and an act of
Congress, that mad cow was finally proven positive, unlike the other
stumbling and staggering mad cow that was rendered without any test at all
in Texas, but by then you had succeeded in the BSE MRR policy, the legal
trading of all strains of TSE globally. You and this administration have
done the same thing the UK did when they poisoned the globe with there
exporting of BSE, except you made it legal now with the BSE MRR policy, and
now we are dealing with BASE, a strain that is more virulent to humans. what
happens when it mutates again?

When cwd deer and elk and there different phenotypes have all been rendered
into feed, along with scrapie infected sheep in the USA, and a few TME to
top that off, it will be a most interesting recipe will it not, and an
interesting case study for humans for decades to come. sadly though, with
the recent pet food scandal, and the deaths there of, we have learned a few
things. one, that the elderly are expendable, but cats, dogs, and
adolescents are not. and that the problem of our feeding of food producing
animals has been tainted for decades. and with the melamine scandal, as with
the mad cow feed scandal, it's the same old song and dance by you and the
Bush administration, everything is o.k., will not hurt you, cover-up and
protect the industry at all cost, and this will be another part of your sad
legacy in History Sir.

To not allow BSE/TSE testing in the USA, testing that will find, only proves
our point, you have and will continue to cover up the real mad cow problem
in the USA. and the world knows this. ...

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
P.O. Box 42
Bacliff, Texas USA 77519

UNITED STATES ANIMAL HEALTH ASSOCIATION
8100 Three Chopt Road, Suite 203
P. O. BOX K227
RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 23288
804- 285-3210 FAX 804-285-3367
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.usaha.org

May 22, 2007
Honorable Michael Johanns
Secretary of Agriculture
Room 200 Jamie Whitten Federal Building
Washington, D.C. 20250

Dear Mr. Secretary:

The United States Animal Health Association (USAHA), wishes to express its
encouragement to you and the Department of Agriculture to appeal the
litigation surrounding private testing for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy.
We hope you will strongly consider this as you work with the Office of
General Counsel on this suit.

To support this appeal, we offer that this sets a detrimental precedence on
USDA's ability to regulate disease and testing processes in animal
agriculture. As we appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit of Creekstone, the
larger scale implications could lead to devastating impacts for food animal
production in this country as itrelates to animal health. We do feel that
private testing could hamper animal health officials' ability to locate
disease occurrences, and exercise proper practices to trace, control and
eliminate them. As you are aware, there are a number of factors that raise
concern among animal health leaders and diagnosticians. We encourage you to
thoroughly consider those upon your decision to appeal. We do recognize this
is now a matter of the courts, and trust that our ability to safeguard
animal health is not compromised as a result of this litigation. Please let
us know if there is any further support we can provide.

Sincerely,

Lee M. Myers
President, U.S. Animal Health Association
Cc: Dr. John Clifford

===============================

USA MAD COW STRAIN MORE VIRULENT TO HUMANS THAN UK STRAIN

18 January 2007 - Draft minutes of the SEAC 95 meeting (426 KB) held on 7
December 2006 are now available.

snip...

64. A member noted that at the recent Neuroprion meeting, a study was
presented showing that in transgenic mice BSE passaged in sheep may be more
virulent and infectious to a wider range of species than bovine derived BSE.

Other work presented suggested that BSE and bovine amyloidotic spongiform
encephalopathy (BASE) MAY BE RELATED. A mutation had been identified in the
prion protein gene in an AMERICAN BASE CASE THAT WAS SIMILAR IN NATURE TO A
MUTATION FOUND IN CASES OF SPORADIC CJD.

snip...

http://www.seac.gov.uk/minutes/95.pdf

3:30 Transmission of the Italian Atypical BSE (BASE) in Humanized Mouse

Models Qingzhong Kong, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Pathology, Case Western
Reserve University

Bovine Amyloid Spongiform Encephalopathy (BASE) is an atypical BSE strain
discovered recently in Italy, and similar or different atypical BSE cases
were also reported in other countries. The infectivity and phenotypes of
these atypical BSE strains in humans are unknown. In collaboration with
Pierluigi Gambetti, as well as Maria Caramelli and her co-workers, we have
inoculated transgenic mice expressing human prion protein with brain
homogenates from BASE or BSE infected cattle. Our data shows that about half
of the BASE-inoculated mice became infected with an average incubation time
of about 19 months; in contrast, none of the BSE-inoculated mice appear to
be infected after more than 2 years.

***These results indicate that BASE is transmissible to humans and suggest
that BASE is more virulent than classical BSE in humans.***

6:30 Close of Day One

http://www.healthtech.com/2007/tse/day1.asp

Diagnosis and Reporting of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
Singeltary, Sr et al. JAMA.2001; 285: 733-734.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/http://www.neu ... /2/176#535

BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL
BMJ
vCJD in the USA * BSE in U.S.
15 November 1999

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/319/7220/1312/b#5406

BMJ

U.S. Scientist should be concerned with a CJD epidemic in the U.S., as
well...

2 January 2000

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/320/7226/8/b#6117

JOURNAL OF NEUROLOGY
MARCH 26, 2003

RE-Monitoring the occurrence of emerging forms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
in the United States

Email Terry S. Singeltary:
[email protected]

I lost my mother to hvCJD (Heidenhain Variant CJD). I would like to comment
on the CDC's attempts to monitor the occurrence of emerging forms of CJD.
Asante, Collinge et al [1] have reported that BSE transmission to the
129-methionine genotype can lead to an alternate phenotype that is
indistinguishable from type 2 PrPSc, the commonest sporadic CJD. However,
CJD and all human TSEs are not reportable nationally. CJD and all human TSEs
must be made reportable in every state and internationally. I hope that the
CDC does not continue to expect us to still believe that the 85%+ of all CJD
cases which ar sporadic are all spontaneous, without route/source. We have
many TSEs i the USA in both animal and man. CWD in deer/elk is spreading
rapidly and CWD does transmit to mink, ferret, cattle, and squirrel monkey
by intracerebral inoculation. With the known incubation periods in other
TSEs, oral transmission studies of CWD may take much longer. Every
victim/family of CJD/TSEs should be asked about route and source of this
agent. To prolong this will only spread the agent and needlessly
exposeothers. In light of the findings of Asante and Collinge et al, there
should be drastic measures to safeguard the medical and surgical arena from
sporadic CJDs and all human TSEs. I only ponder how many sporadic CJDs in
the USA are type 2 PrPSc?

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/eletters/60/2/176#535

doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(03)00715-1
Copyright © 2003 Published by Elsevier Ltd.
Newsdesk

Tracking spongiform encephalopathies in North America
Xavier Bosch
Available online 29 July 2003.
Volume 3, Issue 8, August 2003, Page 463

"My name is Terry S Singeltary Sr, and I live in Bacliff, Texas. I lost my
mom to hvCJD (Heidenhain variant CJD) and have been searching for answers
ever since. What I have found is that we have not been told the truth. CWD
in deer and elk is a small portion of a much bigger problem."

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanin ... 1/fulltext

http://download.thelancet.com/pdfs/jour ... 007151.pdf

SEE STEADY INCREASE IN SPORADIC CJD IN THE USA FROM 1997 TO 2006. SPORADIC
CJD CASES TRIPLED, with phenotype of 'UNKNOWN' strain growing. ...

http://www.cjdsurveillance.com/resource ... eport.html

There is a growing number of human CJD cases, and they were presented last
week in San Francisco by Luigi Gambatti(?) from his CJD surveillance
collection.

He estimates that it may be up to 14 or 15 persons which display selectively
SPRPSC and practically no detected RPRPSC proteins.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/ ... 4240t1.htm

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/ ... 4240t1.pdf

[Docket No. FSIS-2006-0011] FSIS Harvard Risk Assessment of Bovine
Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/Comments ... 0011-1.pdf

[Docket No. 03-025IFA] FSIS Prohibition of the Use of Specified Risk
Materials for Human Food and Requirement for the Disposition of
Non-Ambulatory Disabled Cattle

03-025IFA
03-025IFA-2

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/Comments ... 5IFA-2.pdf

THE SEVEN SCIENTIST REPORT ***

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/docket ... tach-1.pdf

Sporadic creutzfeldt-jakob disease in two adolescents (sCJD, the big lie)
Date: May 28, 2007 at 7:58 am PST

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=25276

IN A NUT SHELL ;

(Adopted by the International Committee of the OIE on 23 May 2006)

11. Information published by the OIE is derived from appropriate
declarations made by the official Veterinary Services of Member Countries.
The OIE is not responsible for inaccurate publication of country disease
status based on inaccurate information or changes in epidemiological status
or other significant events that were not promptly reported to then Central
Bureau............

http://www.oie.int/eng/Session2007/RF2006.pdf

Audit Report
Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Surveillance Program ­ Phase II
and

Still Remain

Report to Congressional Requesters:
February 2005:
Mad Cow Disease:

FDA's Management of the Feed Ban Has Improved, but Oversight Weaknesses
Continue to Limit Program Effectiveness:

[Hyperlink, http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-05-101]:

http://www.gao.gov/htext/d05101.html

http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d05101high.pdf

January 2002 MAD COW DISEASE Improvements in the Animal Feed Ban and
Other Regulatory Areas Would Strengthen U.S. Prevention Efforts GAO-02-183

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02183.pdf

OIE BSE RECOMMENDATION FOR USA, bought and paid for by your local cattle
dealers i.e. USDA

Date: May 14, 2007 at 9:00 am PST

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18748

What Do We Feed to Food-Production Animals? A Review of Animal Feed
Ingredients and Their Potential Impacts on Human Health

Date: May 24, 2007 at 6:59 am PST

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=22301

The Economic Impact of B.S.E. on the U.S. Beef Industry: BY NOT TESTING TO
FIND

Date: May 6, 2007 at 3:05 pm PST

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=4687

SCRAPIE UPDATE USA AS OF MARCH 2007 NOR98 INCLUDED

Date: May 9, 2007 at 6:43 pm PST

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health ... ie_rpt.pps

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=6721

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=8315

LIKE LAMBS TO SLAUGHTER

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=11598

Scrapie Agent (Strain 263K) Can Transmit Disease via the ORAL Route after
Persistence in Soil over Years

Date: May 16, 2007 at 10:01 am PST

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=15481

Colorado Surveillance Program for Chronic Wasting Disease Transmission to
Humans (TWO SUSPECT CASES)

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:22:22 -0500

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=1165

Subject: Re: FOIA REQUEST FOR ATYPICAL TSE INFORMATION ON VERMONT SHEEP

Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 2:37 PM

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... &T=0&P=816

EXPORTATION AND IMPORTATION OF ANIMALS AND ANIMAL PRODUCTS:
BSE; MRR AND IMPORTATION OF COMMODITIES, 65758-65759 [E6-19042]

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=3854

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=3381

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... &T=0&P=498

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=10277

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=9972

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=4492

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=2583

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... T=0&P=2470

HUMAN and ANIMAL TSE Classifications i.e. mad cow disease and the UKBSEnvCJD
only theory

TSEs have been rampant in the USA for decades in many species, and they all
have been rendered and fed back to animals for human/animal consumption. I
propose that the current diagnostic criteria for human TSEs only enhances
and helps the spreading of human TSE from the continued belief of the
UKBSEnvCJD only theory in 2005. With all the science to date refuting it, to
continue to validate this myth, will only spread this TSE agent through a
multitude of potential routes and sources i.e. consumption, surgical, blood,
medical, cosmetics etc. I propose as with Aguzzi, Asante, Collinge, Caughey,
Deslys, Dormont, Gibbs, Ironside, Manuelidis, Marsh, et al and many more,
that the world of TSE Tranmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy is far from an
exact science, but there is enough proven science to date that this myth
should be put to rest once and for all, and that we move forward with a new
classification for human and animal TSE that would properly identify the
infected species, the source species, and then the route. This would further
have to be broken down to strain of species and then the route of
transmission would further have to be broken down.

Accumulation and Transmission are key to the threshold from subclinical to
clinical disease, and of that, I even believe that physical and or blunt
trauma may play a role of onset of clinical symptoms in some cases, but key
to all this, is to stop the amplification and transmission of this agent,
the spreading of, no matter what strain. BUT, to continue with this myth
that the U.K. strain of BSE one strain in cows, and the nv/v CJD, one strain
in humans, and that all the rest of human TSE is one single strain i.e.
sporadic CJD (when to date there are 6 different phenotypes of sCJD), and
that no other animal TSE transmits to humans, to continue with this
masquerade will only continue to spread, expose, and kill, who knows how
many more in the years and decades to come. ONE was enough for me, My Mom,
hvCJD, DOD 12/14/97 confirmed, which is nothing more than another mans name
added to CJD, like CJD itself, Jakob and Creutzfeldt, or
Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome, just another CJD or human TSE,
named after another human. WE are only kidding ourselves with the current
diagnostic criteria for human and animal TSE, especially differentiating
between the nvCJD vs the sporadic CJD strains and then the GSS strains and
also the FFI fatal familial insomnia strains or the ones that mimics one or
the other of those TSE? Tissue infectivity and strain typing of the many
variants of the human and animal TSEs are paramount in all variants of all
TSE. There must be a proper classification that will differentiate between
all these human TSE in order to do this. With the CDI and other more
sensitive testing coming about, I only hope that my proposal will some day
be taken seriously.

My name is Terry S. Singeltary Sr. and I am no scientist, no doctor and have
no PhDs, but have been independently researching human and animal TSEs since
the death of my Mother to the Heidenhain Variant of Creutzfeldt Jakob
Disease on December 14, 1997 'confirmed'. ...TSS

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
CREEKSTONE FARMS PREMIUM BEEF,
L.L.C.,
Plaintiff,
v.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE,
et al.,
Defendants.
:::::::::::
Civil Action No. 06-0544 (JR)

snip...

JAMES ROBERTSON
United States District Judge

The government's additional argument, that private testing 14 somehow would
interfere with USDA's surveillance program, is unexplained and therefore
rejected. Of greater concern is the possibility that private testing 15
could produce a false positive result, which might trigger unnecessary
public alarm. USDA has asserted this possibility as a reason to avoid
private testing. Indeed, the Bio-Rad kits that Creekstone proposes using are
used throughout the world, including as part of the USDA's own surveillance
testing. - 18 -

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/sh ... 6cv0544-22

SEE BOGUS USDA BSE SURVEILLANCE, ERADICATION, AND AMPLIFICATION HISTORY

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/madcow/me ... 00890.html

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... F=P&P=8374

Content-type: multipart/alternative;

FOIA APPEAL
Reference FOIA 07-566

DECLARATION OF EXTRAORDINARY EMERGENCY BECAUSE OF AN ATYPICAL T.S.E.
(PRION DISEASE) OF FOREIGN ORIGIN IN THE UNITED STATES [Docket No. 00-072-1]

Mouse Bio-Assays

July 11, 2007

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:36:17 -0500
Reply-To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group
<[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group
<[log in to unmask]>
Content-type: multipart/alternative;

FOIA APPEAL
Reference FOIA 07-566

DECLARATION OF EXTRAORDINARY EMERGENCY BECAUSE OF AN ATYPICAL T.S.E.
(PRION DISEASE) OF FOREIGN ORIGIN IN THE UNITED STATES [Docket No. 00-072-1]

Mouse Bio-Assays

July 11, 2007

TO:

Administrator
Ag Box 3401
Washington, DC 20250-3401

C.C.

USDA OIG FOIA
Honorable Phyllis Fong
1400 Independence Ave., SW, Mail Stop 2308
Washington, D.C. 20250

C.C.

Honorable Chairman Henry Waxman
Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
U.S. House of Representatives
2157 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Reference FOIA 07-566

To Whom it may concern,

I respectfully wish to appeal the following answer I got from FOIA 07-566
request, see letter that i am appealing and reasons to follow ;

================================

USDA

JULY 3, 2007

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
P.O. Box 42
Bacliff, Texas USA 77518

Dear Mr. Singeltary:

This is in response to your March 15, 2007, Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) request for records related to bio-assays of sheep imported from
Belgium. Your request was received in this office on March 27, 2007, and
assigned case number FOIA 07-566. We apologize for the delay of this
response.

For your information, the FOIA is designed to allow the public access to
agency records, not to answer questions. After consulting with agency staff,
we were informed up to two years is required for a final result on the
bio-assay. Therefore, we did not locate any records responsive to your
request. You may appeal our no records determination. If you choose to
appeal, your appeal must be in writing and must be sent within 45 days of
the date of this letter to:

snip...

To assist the Administrator in reviewing your appeal, provide specific
reasons why you believe modification of the determination is warranted.

If you have any questions, please contact..............

Sincerely

Cheri A. Oswalt
Acting Director
Freedom of Information $ Privacy Act Staff
Legislative and Public Affairs

=========================

SPECIFIC REASONS

> For your information, the FOIA is designed to allow the public access to

> agency records, not to answer questions.

IF the pubic is consistantly told that the agency has done said mouse
bio-assay or any other request,
but yet the agency in question, consistantly lies about said mouse
bio-assay, or any other request,
are you saying we cannot question these actions via FIOA, this is the public
last resort ???

> After consulting with agency staff, we were informed up to two years is

> required for a final result on the bio-assay.

> Therefore, we did not locate any records responsive to your request.

OVER 3 years ago, on May 20, 2004, I was told ;

> --- Original Message ---
>
>
> Subject: Re: hello Dr. Sutton.question please.scrapie.TSS
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:36:09 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Dear Mr. Singeltary,
>
> The Western blot tests on these animals were completed in April of this
> year. That means that we can begin the mouse inoculations. To get the
> results of the Western blot tests, you will need to submit a Freedom of
> Information Act request through our FOIA office. The FAX number there is
> 301-734-5941.
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Jim Rogers
> APHIS LPA

=========================================================

OVER 5 YEARS AGO WE WERE ALL TOLD THIS ;

>> Imported
>> Belgium/Netherlands
>> Sheep Test Results
>> Background
>> Factsheet
>> Veterinary Services April 2002
>> APHIS
>
>
>
> snip...
>
>> Additional tests will be conducted to determine
>> exactly what TSE the animals have BSE or scrapie.
>> These tests involve the use of bioassays that consist
>> of injecting mice with tissue from the infected animals
>> and waiting for them to develop disease. This testing
>> may take at least 2 to 3 years to complete.
>
>
>
> http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/fshe ... heeptr.pdf

=====================================================

What are the results of those mouse bio-assays ???

Have they even started ???

IF not, when will they begin ???

IF so, when did they begin this time ???

IF these mouse bio-assays have not yet started, and have been put off for 5
years, this
being the 3rd time, now going beyond 7 years when finished, will the agency
please explain
this delay on such an important animal and human health matter ???

Thank You,
kind regards,

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
P.O. Box 42
Bacliff, Texas USA 77518

snip...full text ;

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=17695

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... =0&P=14602

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
P.O. Box 42
Bacliff, Texas USA 77518

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30

Subject: Re: Birth cohort of CANADIAN BSE-positive animal was exported to
the United States
Date: April 10, 2007 at 10:33 am PST

"It most likely" entered the food supply "given that it was slaughtered,"
said Karen Eggert, a spokeswoman with USDA's Animal and Plant Health
Inspection Service.

"But it wouldn't have gone to slaughter if it was showing any clinical signs
for BSE. We're not looking at this as a possibility that a BSE infected cow
got into the United States," she said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic ... 5520070410

Attachment 1: Estimation of BSE Prevalence in Canada

snip...

Table 5 summarizes the results of the estimation of BSE prevalence in the
standing Canadian adult cattle population as of August 15, 2006. Based on
the expected prevalence value under the BBC model and the estimated adult
herd size (Table 1), the expected number of BSE-infected animals in the
standing Canadian adult cattle population is 4.1. By comparison, the
expected value obtained under BSurvE Prevalence B is 3.9 per million, which
corresponds to an estimated 23.2 BSE-infected animals in the standing
Canadian adult cattle population.

snip...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/hot_ ... alence.pdf

full text ;

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... mg&P=15653

TEXAS MAD COW

THEY DID FINALLY TEST AFTER SITTING 7+ MONTHS ON A SHELF WHILE GW BORE THE
BSE MRR POLICY, i.e. legal trading of all strains of TSE. now understand, i
confirmed this case 7 months earlier to the TAHC, and then, only after i
contacted the Honorable Phyllis Fong and after an act of Congress, this
animal was finally confirmed ;

During the course of the investigation, USDA removed and tested a total of
67 animals of interest from the farm where the index animal's herd
originated. All of these animals tested negative for BSE. 200 adult animals
of interest were determined to have left the index farm. Of these 200, APHIS
officials determined that 143 had gone to slaughter, two were found alive
(one was determined not to be of interest because of its age and the other
tested negative), 34 are presumed dead, one is known dead and 20 have been
classified as untraceable. In addition to the adult animals, APHIS was
looking for two calves born to the index animal. Due to record keeping and
identification issues, APHIS had to trace 213 calves. Of these 213 calves,
208 entered feeding and slaughter channels, four are presumed to have
entered feeding and slaughter channels and one calf was untraceable.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s ... 8/0336.xml

Executive Summary
In June 2005, an inconclusive bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) sample
from
November 2004, that had originally been classified as negative on the
immunohistochemistry test, was confirmed positive on SAF immunoblot (Western
blot).
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) identified the herd of origin for
the index cow
in Texas; that identification was confirmed by DNA analysis. USDA, in close
cooperation
with the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), established an incident
command post
(ICP) and began response activities according to USDA’s BSE Response Plan of
September 2004. Response personnel removed at-risk cattle and cattle of
interest (COI)
from the index herd, euthanized them, and tested them for BSE; all were
negative. USDA
and the State extensively traced all at-risk cattle and COI that left the
index herd. The
majority of these animals entered rendering and/or slaughter channels well
before the
investigation began. USDA’s response to the Texas finding was thorough and
effective.

snip...

Trace Herd 3
The owner of Trace Herd 3 was identified as possibly having received an
animal of
interest. The herd was placed under hold order on 7/27/05. The herd
inventory was
conducted on 7/28/05. The animal of interest was not present within the
herd, and the hold
order was released on 7/28/05. The person who thought he sold the animal to
the owner of
Trace Herd 3 had no records and could not remember who else he might have
sold the cow
to. Additionally, a search of GDB for all cattle sold through the markets by
that individual
did not result in a match to the animal of interest. The animal of interest
traced to this herd
was classified as untraceable because all leads were exhausted.

Trace Herd 4
The owner of Trace Herd 4 was identified as having received one of the COI
through an
order buyer. Trace Herd 4 was placed under hold order on 7/29/05. A complete
herd
inventory was conducted on 8/22/05 and 8/23/05. There were 233 head of
cattle that were
examined individually by both State and Federal personnel for all man-made
identification
and brands. The animal of interest was not present within the herd. Several
animals were
reported to have died in the herd sometime after they arrived on the
premises in April 2005.
A final search of GDB records yielded no further results on the eartag of
interest at either
subsequent market sale or slaughter. With all leads having been exhausted,
this animal of
interest has been classified as untraceable. The hold order on Trace Herd 4
was released on
8/23/05.

Trace Herd 5
The owner of Trace Herd 5 was identified as having received two COI and was
placed
under hold order on 8/1/05. Trace Herd 5 is made up of 67 head of cattle in
multiple
pastures. During the course of the herd inventory, the owner located records
that indicated
that one of the COI, a known birth cohort, had been sold to Trace Herd 8
where she was
subsequently found alive. Upon completion of the herd inventory, the other
animal of
interest was not found within the herd. A GDB search of all recorded herd
tests conducted
on Trace Herd 5 and all market sales by the owner failed to locate the
identification tag of
the animal of interest and she was subsequently classified as untraceable
due to all leads
having been exhausted. The hold order on Trace Herd 5 was released on
8/8/05.

Trace Herd 6
The owner of Trace Herd 6 was identified as possibly having received an
animal of interest
and was placed under hold order on 8/1/05. This herd is made up of 58 head
of cattle on
two pastures. A herd inventory was conducted and the animal of interest was
not present
within the herd. The owner of Trace Herd 6 had very limited records and was
unable to
provide further information on where the cow might have gone after he
purchased her from
the livestock market. A search of GDB for all cattle sold through the
markets by that
individual did not result in a match to the animal of interest.
Additionally, many of the
animals presented for sale by the owner of the herd had been re-tagged at
the market
effectually losing the traceability of the history of that animal prior to
re-tagging. The
animal of interest traced to this herd was classified as untraceable due to
all leads having
been exhausted. The hold order on Trace Herd 6 was released on 8/3/05.

Trace Herd 7
The owner of Trace Herd 7 was identified as having received an animal of
interest and was
placed under hold order on 8/1/05. Trace Herd 7 contains 487 head of cattle
on multiple
pastures in multiple parts of the State, including a unit kept on an island.
The island
location is a particularly rough place to keep cattle and the owner claimed
to have lost 22
head on the island in 2004 due to liver flukes. Upon completion of the herd
inventory, the
animal of interest was not found present within Trace Herd 7. A GDB search
of all
recorded herd tests conducted on Trace Herd 7 and all market sales by the
owner failed to
locate the identification tag of the animal of interest. The cow was
subsequently classified
as untraceable. It is quite possible though that she may have died within
the herd,
especially if she belonged to the island unit. The hold order on Trace Herd
7 was released
on 8/8/05.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/bs ... report.pdf

TERRY CONFIRMS TEXAS MAD COW 7 MONTHS EARLIER

-------- Original Message --------
Director,
Public Information Carla Everett [email protected]

Subject: Re: BSE 'INCONCLUSIVE' COW from
TEXAS ???
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:12:15 -0600
To: Carla Everett
References: <[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask] us>

Greetings Carla,still hear a rumor;

Texas single beef cow not born in Canada no beef entered the food chain?

and i see the TEXAS department of animal health is ramping up forsomething,
but they forgot a url for update?I HAVE NO ACTUAL CONFIRMATION YET...can you
confirm???terry

==============================
==============================

TEXAS ???
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:38:21 -0600
To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."

The USDA has made a statement, and we are referring all callers to the USDA
web site. We have no informationabout the animal being in Texas. CarlaAt
09:44 AM 11/19/2004, you wrote:>Greetings Carla,>>i am getting
unsubstantiated claims of this BSE 'inconclusive' cow is from>TEXAS. can you
comment on this either way please?>>thank you,>Terry S. Singeltary Sr.>>

===================
===================

TEXAS ???
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:33:20 -0600
To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."
<[log in to unmask] us>
<[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]
us> <[log in to unmask]>

our computer department was working on a place holder we could postUSDA's
announcement of any results. There are no results to be announced tonightby
NVSL, so we are back in a waiting mode and will post the USDA
announcementwhen we hear something.At 06:05 PM 11/22/2004, you wrote:>why
was the announcement on your TAHC site removed?>>Bovine Spongiform
Encephalopathy:>November 22: Press Release title here >>star image More BSE
information>>>>terry>>Carla Everett wrote:>>>no confirmation on the U.S.'
inconclusive test...>>no confirmation on location of
animal.>>>>>>==========================
==========================

THEN, 7+ MONTHS OF COVER-UP BY JOHANN ET AL! no doubt about it now $$$

NO, it's not pretty, hell, im not pretty, but these are the facts, take em
or leave em, however, you cannot change them.

with kindest regards,

I am still sincerely disgusted and tired in sunny Bacliff, Texas USA 77518

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
===============
http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.ex ... mg&P=16195

THE OTHER TEXAS MAD COW THEY DID SUCCEED IN COVERING UP ;

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Statement
May 4, 2004
Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

Statement on Texas Cow With Central Nervous System Symptoms
On Friday, April 30 th , the Food and Drug Administration learned that a cow
with central nervous system symptoms had been killed and shipped to a
processor for rendering into animal protein for use in animal feed.

FDA, which is responsible for the safety of animal feed, immediately began
an investigation. On Friday and throughout the weekend, FDA investigators
inspected the slaughterhouse, the rendering facility, the farm where the
animal came from, and the processor that initially received the cow from the
slaughterhouse.

FDA's investigation showed that the animal in question had already been
rendered into "meat and bone meal" (a type of protein animal feed). Over the
weekend FDA was able to track down all the implicated material. That
material is being held by the firm, which is cooperating fully with FDA.

Cattle with central nervous system symptoms are of particular interest
because cattle with bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE, also known as
"mad cow disease," can exhibit such symptoms. In this case, there is no way
now to test for BSE. But even if the cow had BSE, FDA's animal feed rule
would prohibit the feeding of its rendered protein to other ruminant animals
(e.g., cows, goats, sheep, bison).

FDA is sending a letter to the firm summarizing its findings and informing
the firm that FDA will not object to use of this material in swine feed
only. If it is not used in swine feed, this material will be destroyed. Pigs
have been shown not to be susceptible to BSE. If the firm agrees to use the
material for swine feed only, FDA will track the material all the way
through the supply chain from the processor to the farm to ensure that the
feed is properly monitored and used only as feed for pigs.

To protect the U.S. against BSE, FDA works to keep certain mammalian protein
out of animal feed for cattle and other ruminant animals. FDA established
its animal feed rule in 1997 after the BSE epidemic in the U.K. showed that
the disease spreads by feeding infected ruminant protein to cattle.

Under the current regulation, the material from this Texas cow is not
allowed in feed for cattle or other ruminant animals. FDA's action
specifying that the material go only into swine feed means also that it will
not be fed to poultry.

FDA is committed to protecting the U.S. from BSE and collaborates closely
with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on all BSE issues. The animal feed
rule provides crucial protection against the spread of BSE, but it is only
one of several such firewalls. FDA will soon be improving the animal feed
rule, to make this strong system even stronger.

####

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2004/NEW01061.html

ALABAMA MAD COW

Summary:
Despite a thorough investigation of two farms that were known to contain the
index cow,
and 35 other farms that might have supplied the index cow to the farms where
the index
case was known to have resided, the investigators were unable to locate the
herd of
origin. The index case did not have unique or permanent identification,
plus, the size and
color of the cow being traced is very common in the Southern United States.
Due to the
unremarkable appearance of solid red cows, it is not easy for owners to
remember
individual animals. In the Southern United States, it is common business
practice to buy
breeding age cows and keep them for several years while they produce calves.
Most
calves produced are sold the year they are born, whereas breeding cows are
sold when
there is a lapse in breeding, which can occur multiple times in cows’ lives.
For all of
these reasons, USDA was unable to locate the herd of origin.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/hot_ ... _Final.pdf

WASHINGTON MAD COW

Fifty-seven (57) animals were born into the birth herd from April 1996 to
April 1998. Twenty-seven (27) of these animals were traced and confirmed
dead, 25 animals (including the index case) were exported to the US, two
animals were untraceable, ..........

The 48 animals were determined to be among 86 head sold to numerous buyers.
Eighty (80) of these were traced and confirmed slaughtered, 2 were
untraceable .......

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... este.shtml

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU BUY MAD COW TAINTED PRODUCTS, is there a need to know

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 31, 2004

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Elisa Odabashian â€" 415-431-6747

BILL WOULD PREVENT CALIFORNIA FROM KEEPING INFORMATION ABOUT HAZARDOUS FOOD
RECALLS SECRET

Legislation Targets State’s Secrecy Agreement With USDA That Kept Consumers
In the Dark About Mad Cow Disease Infected Beef

(SACRAMENTO, CA) â€" Earlier this year, news accounts indicated that
California was one of seven states that received a shipment of beef products
subject to a USDA recall because it included meat and bones from a cow that
tested positive for mad cow disease. But California consumers had no way of
knowing whether their local grocery store or restaurant received any of
these tainted products because the state had agreed to keep that information
secret. To prevent this from happening in the future, two state lawmakers
have introduced legislation that would ensure consumers are notified of any
retail outlets in their community that have received recalled beef or
poultry.

“Consumers have a right to know whether the food they are buying could be
hazardous to their health,” said Elisa Odabashian, Senior Policy Analyst
with Consumers Union’s West Coast Regional Office. “The state’s secrecy
agreement with the USDA protects the beef and poultry industry while putting
California consumers at risk.”

In 2002, the California Department of Health Services (DHS) signed a
Memorandum of Understanding with the USDA agreeing to keep secret the names
of the retail outlets selling food subject to beef and poultry recalls. The
USDA shares information about retailers that have received tainted beef and
poultry only with states that sign such agreements. The agency maintains
that secrecy is necessary in order to protect the proprietary interests of
the beef and poultry industries. But this policy leaves consumers in the
dark about which retail outlets may be selling these hazardous products.
The Memorandum of Understanding requiring secrecy covers all recalls of
unsafe beef and poultry â€" not just the recent recall of beef that tested
positive for mad cow disease. Recalls of beef and poultry products tainted
with other hazards, such as E.coli, Listeria, and Salmonella, also would be
covered by the secrecy agreement.

SB 1585, introduced by Senators Jackie Speier and Mike Machado, would
require all beef and poultry product suppliers, distributors and processors
who sell meat in California subject to a USDA recall to immediately identify
to the state the names and locations of retailers that received these
contaminated products. The bill requires the California Department of Health
Services to provide this information within 24 hours to local health
officials so that they can alert the public. The bill also requires the
agency to submit copies of all Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to
food and food-related products to the Legislature for review by January 1,

“The USDA should not be coercing states to abide by secrecy agreements about
tainted beef and poultry and California officials should not be withholding
information about these hazards from consumers,” said Odabashian. “This bill
will ensure that the state receives the information it needs to respond to
such food recalls and that consumers are properly alerted so they can take
steps to protect their health.”

Last week, Senators Machado and Speier introduced another bill that would
make California the first state in the nation to require all cattle
slaughtered or sold to be certified as testing negative for mad cow disease.
SB 1425 requires licensed slaughterers in California to test all cattle
carcasses for the deadly brain wasting disease. Under the bill, these
carcasses must be embargoed for sale until the slaughterhouse receives test
results certifying that the cow was negative for Bovine Spongiform
Encephalopathy (BSE). The slaughterhouse would be required to report every
positive test result to the State Veterinarian and the USDA. In addition,
the bill requires all importers of beef into the state for re-sale to be
able to certify that the beef is BSE-negative.

Consumers Union has urged the federal government to vastly expand its
testing program, fully ban the feeding of any animal remains to cows, and
immediately disclose to states and the public, all retail outlets and
restaurants from which meat was recalled because it came from an infected
cow.

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_ ... 00954.html

NOW, only if you were a dog or cat would you get this much attention, and
only if you get sick and or drop dead immediately, where they can trace the
route and source, like this dog food, cat food recall, that has now turned
to human food i.e. pigs and chickens, all the big news now, screw the fact
you have been exposed to the mad cow agent as well, for years. but it takes
so long to go clinical, they cannot trace the route an source, so they
ignore it and say the exact same thing they are saying about this recent
melamine poisoning, everything is o.k., there are no risk to human health.
what did borat say ......pause..............NOT !!!
this is what happens when you let big industry make the laws and regulate
our food, just food for thought.................tss

a quick note there steve, COOL, it was the right thing, but big industry and
again GW, failed us, they know what they will find and they do NOT want to
be able to track or trace ;

C.O.O.L.

On May 13, 2002, President Bush signed into law the Farm Security and Rural
Investment Act of 2002, more commonly known as the 2002 Farm Bill. One of
its many initiatives requires country of origin labeling for beef, lamb,
pork, fish, perishable agricultural commodities and peanuts. On January 27,
2004, President Bush signed Public Law 108-199 which delays the
implementation of mandatory COOL for all covered commodities except wild and
farm-raised fish and shellfish until September 30, 2006. On November 10,
2005, President Bush signed Public Law 109-97, which delays the
implementation for all covered commodities except wild and farm-raised and
shellfish until September 30, 2008. As described in the legislation, program
implementation is the responsibility of USDA's Agricultural Marketing
Service.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/cool/

and steve, if your still with me, it will be very interesting to see what
becomes of the birth, feed, prodigy, cohorts and the tracking of them of
which came into the USA, and the feed that fed them over the years of the
latest mad cow just announced in Canada feed goes and comes across that
border like people. ...tss

Subject: BSE CASE CONFIRMED IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
Date: May 2, 2007 at 2:25 pm PST

BSE CASE CONFIRMED IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
OTTAWA, May 2, 2007 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has
confirmed the diagnosis of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in a
mature dairy cow from British Columbia. The animal's carcass is under CFIA
control, and no part of it entered the human food or animal feed systems.

Preliminary information indicates that the age of the animal (66 months)
falls well within the age range of previous cases detected in Canada and is
consistent with the recognized average incubation period of the disease.
This signifies that the animal was exposed to a very small amount of
infective material, most likely during its first year of life.

An epidemiological investigation directed by international guidelines is
underway to identify the animal’s herdmates at the time of birth and the
pathways by which it might have become infected. All findings will be
publicly released once the investigation concludes.

Canada has a suite of robust BSE control measures which exceeds the
recommended international standards. Assessment of Canada’s programs by the
World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) has resulted in a recommendation
for recognition as a controlled risk country. The OIE categorization process
is based on an evaluation of the comprehensive set of risk mitigation
measures implemented by a given country.

Canada has taken all necessary measures to achieve the eventual elimination
of BSE from the national cattle herd. The enhanced feed ban, which comes
into effect on July 12, 2007, will prevent more than 99 percent of potential
BSE infectivity from entering the Canadian feed system. The CFIA expects to
detect a small number of cases over the next 10 years as Canada progresses
towards its goal of eliminating the disease from the national cattle heard.

The British Columbia animal was identified at the farm level by the national
surveillance program, which has detected all cases found in Canada. The
program targets cattle most at risk and has tested about 160,000 animals
since 2003. The surveillance results reflect an extremely low incidence of
BSE in Canada.

It is not unexpected to find BSE-infected animals born after the feed ban.
This has proven to be the case in most other countries with targeted
surveillance programs, similar to that in Canada.

-30-

For information:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Media relations: 613-228-6682

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/cor ... 502e.shtml

Amazing what you will find when you look. a far cry from the USA;

[Docket No. FSIS-2006-0011] FSIS Harvard Risk Assessment of Bovine
Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/Comments ... 0011-1.pdf

[Docket No. 03-025IFA] FSIS Prohibition of the Use of Specified Risk
Materials for Human Food and Requirement for the Disposition of
Non-Ambulatory Disabled Cattle

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/Comments ... 5IFA-2.pdf

THE SEVEN SCIENTIST REPORT ***

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/docket ... tach-1.pdf

Docket No. 2003N-0312 Animal Feed Safety System [TSS SUBMISSION]

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/docket ... 000001.txt

Docket Management Docket: 02N-0273 - Substances Prohibited From Use in

Animal Food or Feed; Animal Proteins Prohibited in Ruminant Feed

Comment Number: EC -10

Accepted - Volume 2

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys ... 4be07.html

PART 2

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys ... 4be09.html

THE USDA JUNE 2004 ENHANCED BSE SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM WAS TERRIBLY FLAWED ;

CDC DR. PAUL BROWN TSE EXPERT COMMENTS 2006

The U.S. Department of Agriculture was quick to assure the public earlier
this week that the third case of mad cow disease did not pose a risk to
them, but what federal officials have not acknowledged is that this latest
case indicates the deadly disease has been circulating in U.S. herds for at
least a decade.

The second case, which was detected last year in a Texas cow and which USDA
officials were reluctant to verify, was approximately 12 years old.

These two cases (the latest was detected in an Alabama cow) present a
picture of the disease having been here for 10 years or so, since it is
thought that cows usually contract the disease from contaminated feed they
consume as calves. The concern is that humans can contract a fatal,
incurable, brain-wasting illness from consuming beef products contaminated
with the mad cow pathogen.

"The fact the Texas cow showed up fairly clearly implied the existence of
other undetected cases," Dr. Paul Brown, former medical director of the
National Institutes of Health's Laboratory for Central Nervous System
Studies and an expert on mad cow-like diseases, told United Press
International. "The question was, 'How many?' and we still can't answer
that."

Brown, who is preparing a scientific paper based on the latest two mad cow
cases to estimate the maximum number of infected cows that occurred in the
United States, said he has "absolutely no confidence in USDA tests before
one year ago" because of the agency's reluctance to retest the Texas cow
that initially tested positive.

USDA officials finally retested the cow and confirmed it was infected seven
months later, but only at the insistence of the agency's inspector general.

"Everything they did on the Texas cow makes everything USDA did before 2005
suspect," Brown said. ...snip...end

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/ ... 5557-1284r

CDC - Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy and Variant Creutzfeldt ...
Dr. Paul Brown is Senior Research Scientist in the Laboratory of Central
Nervous System ... Address for correspondence: Paul Brown, Building 36, Room
4A-05, ...

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no1/brown.htm

PAUL BROWN COMMENT TO ME ON THIS ISSUE

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:10 AM

"Actually, Terry, I have been critical of the USDA handling of the mad cow
issue for some years, and with Linda Detwiler and others sent lengthy
detailed critiques and recommendations to both the USDA and the Canadian
Food Agency."

OR, what the Honorable Phyllis Fong of the OIG found ;

Audit Report

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Surveillance Program â€" Phase II

and

Still Remain

FINALLY,

not that anybody cares, they care more for there dog and cat food, but those
cows and that mad cow feed ban of 8/4/97 ???

nothing but ink on paper................

10,000,000+ LBS. of PROHIBITED BANNED MAD COW FEED I.E. MBM IN COMMERCE USA

Date: March 21, 2007 at 2:27 pm PST
RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINES -- CLASS II
CODE
Cattle feed delivered between 01/12/2007 and 01/26/2007
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Pfeiffer, Arno, Inc, Greenbush, WI. by conversation on February 5, 2007.
Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
REASON
Blood meal used to make cattle feed was recalled because it was cross-contam
inated with prohibited bovine meat and bone meal that had been manufactured
on common equipment and labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
42,090 lbs.
DISTRIBUTION
WI

TATARKA, M CUST PROT Meal, SUNRIDGE/CDL PROTEIN Blend, LOURENZO, K PVM DAIRY
Meal, DOUBLE B DAIRY/GHC LAC Mineral, WEST PIONT/GHC CLOSEUP Mineral, WEST
POINT/GHC LACT Meal, JENKS, J/COMPASS PROTEIN Meal, COPPINI â€" 8# SPECIAL
DAIRY Mix, GULICK, L-LACT Meal (Bulk), TRIPLE J â€" PROTEIN/LACTATION, ROCK
CREEK/GHC MILK Mineral, BETTENCOURT/GHC S.SIDE MK-MN, BETTENCOURT #1/GHC
MILK MINR, V&C DAIRY/GHC LACT Meal, VEENSTRA, F/GHC LACT Meal, SMUTNY,
A-BYPASS ML W/SMARTA, Recall # V-025-2007
CODE
The firm does not utilize a code - only shipping documentation with
commodity and weights identified.
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Rangen, Inc, Buhl, ID, by letters on February 13 and 14, 2007. Firm
initiated recall is complete.
REASON
Products manufactured from bulk feed containing blood meal that was cross
contaminated with prohibited meat and bone meal and the labeling did not
bear cautionary BSE statement.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
9,997,976 lbs.
DISTRIBUTION
ID and NV

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR MARCH 21, 2007

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2 ... 00996.html

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2 ... 00963.html

WE know now, and we knew decades ago, that 5.5 grams of suspect feed in
TEXAS was enough to kill 100 cows.

look at the table and you'll see that as little as 1 mg (or 0.001 gm) caused
7% (1 of 14) of the cows to come down with BSE;

Risk of oral infection with bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent in
primates

Corinne Ida Lasmézas, Emmanuel Comoy, Stephen Hawkins, Christian Herzog,
Franck Mouthon, Timm Konold, Frédéric Auvré, Evelyne Correia, Nathalie
Lescoutra-Etchegaray, Nicole Salès, Gerald Wells, Paul Brown, Jean-Philippe
Deslys
Summary The uncertain extent of human exposure to bovine spongiform
encephalopathy (BSE)--which can lead to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
(vCJD)--is compounded by incomplete knowledge about the efficiency of oral
infection and the magnitude of any bovine-to-human biological barrier to
transmission. We therefore investigated oral transmission of BSE to
non-human primates. We gave two macaques a 5 g oral dose of brain homogenate
from a BSE-infected cow. One macaque developed vCJD-like neurological
disease 60 months after exposure, whereas the other remained free of disease
at 76 months. On the basis of these findings and data from other studies, we
made a preliminary estimate of the food exposure risk for man, which
provides additional assurance that existing public health measures can
prevent transmission of BSE to man.

snip...

BSE bovine brain inoculum

100 g 10 g 5 g 1 g 100 mg 10 mg 1 mg 0·1 mg 0·01 mg

Primate (oral route)* 1/2 (50%)

Cattle (oral route)* 10/10 (100%) 7/9 (78%) 7/10 (70%) 3/15 (20%) 1/15 (7%)
1/15 (7%)

RIII mice (ic ip route)* 17/18 (94%) 15/17 (88%) 1/14 (7%)

PrPres biochemical detection

The comparison is made on the basis of calibration of the bovine inoculum
used in our study with primates against a bovine brain inoculum with a
similar PrPres concentration that was

inoculated into mice and cattle.8 *Data are number of animals
positive/number of animals surviving at the time of clinical onset of
disease in the first positive animal (%). The accuracy of

bioassays is generally judged to be about plus or minus 1 log. ic
ip=intracerebral and intraperitoneal.

Table 1: Comparison of transmission rates in primates and cattle infected
orally with similar BSE brain inocula

Published online January 27, 2005

http://www.thelancet.com/journal/journal.isa

It is clear that the designing scientists must

also have shared Mr Bradley’s surprise at the results because all the dose

levels right down to 1 gram triggered infection.

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/ws/s145d.pdf

TSS

Oldtimer":22phl765 said:
Don't worry Bez---It won't be long and King George will have your country taken over anyway...Be flying the NAU flag and using the Amero for currency....All the real laws will be being made by the John Tysons and George Soros's of the world...King George will just run the wars and conquests those elitist folks need to keep expanding their bankroll :roll: ;-)

Perhaps.

I am but one person who is already well known to many politicians and a couple of minister types - so I do not have much to say - it is the big cities that will vote us away.

I see in todays paper the price of stocker calves had dropped to approx 95 cents a pound average at our local sale barn with the top of the sale hitting $1.15. The low was 76 cents a pound.

Reason for price drop?

Well I did not say it - but apparently local imports of U.S. cattle are dropping the price. This is from the local sale barn owner - quoted in the paper. We are obvioulsy honouring our trade agreements.

I guess you might say turn about is fair play.

Bez+

Terry

I know a bit of your history and you do indeed have my respect for your fight.

I will tell you honestly I have never read one of your posts. I probably never will.

If you do not have the ability to condense with (if you want) references - then I suggest you are taking up a lot of wasted space with your cut and paste.

No one - or very few - will read what you might want publicized - you need some marketing help my friend because you are not getting your point across to those that matter - simply because of sheer volume.

Bez+

Bez+":26zj45z2 said:
Terry

I know a bit of your history and you do indeed have my respect for your fight.

I will tell you honestly I have never read one of your posts. I probably never will.

If you do not have the ability to condense with (if you want) references - then I suggest you are taking up a lot of wasted space with your cut and paste.

No one - or very few - will read what you might want publicized - you need some marketing help my friend because you are not getting your point across to those that matter - simply because of sheer volume.

Bez+

Well said Bez,I doubt anyone takes him seriously............good luck

Just another r-calf red herring. R-calf president thornberry wants to know if the USDA will investigate inferences that he said could be made. Mad MAX doesn't want facts investigated or disputed just how things could be read. :roll: What a friggin joke are your officials supposed to take these requests seriously? I infer that a report is saying things might not be what i want to hear could the USDA check it out too. :help: :drink: No wonder the USDA is in such a state if it has to check out every half baked request. No wonder the ND Stockgrowers are cutting ties.
Maybe the r-calf executive can save money at christmas and all use the same roll of tinfoil to make each other hats instead of each buying a roll of tin foil. :dunce: Your actions are really beginning to concern me mayby the r-calf executive should seek some professional help. :banana: :drink: Just a thought.

HAY MAKER":wxja33td said:
good luck

Too lightly, this whole thing is a political sham. Regardless the consumer wins.
Why not test everything and it's all done.

With all that we can prove these days there is no concrete evidence that BSE causes CJD. Leaving it to a political mess!

Latest posts