Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Arthur

Reaction score
We had a calf born last night at 10:30 p.m. This morning the calf is very strong. But.......It sucks on everything except the mother's teat. Has this calf eaten because of the strength it has or would it still be that strong after birth? We have tried to get the calf to the cow and and spray milk at its face and even stuck a finger in the mouth to get it going. The teats are huge and always are on this cow.

It tried to nurse on another cow with calf and she kicked at it but it got on her teat.

What do you guys think? Thanks a bunch!

Arthur":11l5t0rg said:
We had a calf born last night at 10:30 p.m. This morning the calf is very strong. But.......It sucks on everything except the mother's teat. Has this calf eaten because of the strength it has or would it still be that strong after birth? We have tried to get the calf to the cow and and spray milk at its face and even stuck a finger in the mouth to get it going. The teats are huge and always are on this cow.

It tried to nurse on another cow with calf and she kicked at it but it got on her teat.

What do you guys think? Thanks a bunch!

Sounds like a dummy calf time to put the cow in the lot with the calf. Milk the cow and feed the calf if the teats are to big.
Once the calf gets old enough to pull the bag down sell both culls the cow and calf.

To tell if a claf has nursed and gotten colostrum I llok at the calfs butt. You'll normally see an indidcation that it's taken a dump if it has.

The cow and calf are in a small area with the other cow and calf that we have.

She does seem not so smart. The cow is trying to get her to nurse. She just wants to suck on everything but what is going to feed her.

She got it figured out. My husband worked with baby and mom and she must have been starving and finally started nursing. She is definitely big enough to get on those banana teats. She just had to get down under them. Also, yep taken a big dump. Thanks for the help.

Arthur":1w9cx1zt said:
She got it figured out. My husband worked with baby and mom and she must have been starving and finally started nursing. She is definitely big enough to get on those banana teats. She just had to get down under them. Also, yep taken a big dump. Thanks for the help.

Bell teats are not genetics you want to keep around and they will only get worse. Time for old Belle and the little one to go to the salebarn in a few months.

Old Belle - She must be five or six. Always remember these large teats and always having to help the calf nurse first time or two. She also pushes her back end out a lot during her pregnancy and is always giving birth a day later each year. We have discussed getting rid of her.

Arthur":247b1sa6 said:
Old Belle - She must be five or six. Always remember these large teats and always having to help the calf nurse first time or two. She also pushes her back end out a lot during her pregnancy and is always giving birth a day later each year. We have discussed getting rid of her.

My, my this cow has more than 1 strike against her!! Bad udder, and she vaginally prolapses before she calves. This cow wouldn't get a second chance at our place. Both problems can be genetic too, so I would be culling all her calves if I had kept any.

Latest posts