Question for J&T/Shoeing

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
J&T,

How can one tell if a horse is shod at the average angle of 53-55 degrees, how is that measured?
Also would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about horses that are navicular or have ring-bone.

Thank you...

I'll take a shot at this one although J&T will probably do a better job at it:

This angle is measured between the ground line and the line of the front of the hoof wall. :x Harder to put into words than I thought it would be. :oops:

The correct angle a horse should be at is dictated by its confirmation. (angle of the sholder and pastern I believe) The 53-55 degrees is an average # but it really depends on the horse.

Hope I'm not too far off here.
But to answer your question you can buy a hoof gauge that measures the angles. Looks like a horseshoe with a compass or protractor attached to it. (I get those two mixed up)

Thank you for the input J.

I will have to check that out this. I'm there the entire time the horses are getting shod and I pay attention, but having more info will give me a better understanding. :D I tend to ask a lot of questions when our farrier is working on our horses.... :roll: Guess all he can do is tell me to bug off. But he is a pretty nice guy and answers my questions. :D

I just don't want him to get bored while he is working. :lol:

Just_a_girl":2bqr5ald said:
Thank you for the input J.

I will have to check that out this. I'm there the entire time the horses are getting shod and I pay attention, but having more info will give me a better understanding. :D I tend to ask a lot of questions when our farrier is working on our horses.... :roll: Guess all he can do is tell me to bug off. But he is a pretty nice guy and answers my questions. :D

I just don't want him to get bored while he is working. :lol:

A couple of years ago I was looking for a new farrier, I tried a guy who had a reputation of being the best around. He seemed nice enough but got mad at me when I asked him to keep a little more heel. He basicaly said he knew his job and didn't need anyone telling how to do it. He was on my first of six to do, but it was his last of my horses. Had the other 5 done the next week by a kid who is still doing them and is very good.

No room for jerks anywhere, especially if they want money from me. If you have a good one that is willing and happy to answer questions keep them.

Alan

Alan

Hey justagirl. They pretty well covered your first question. As for Navicular Disease you will see it most often in running or jumping horses. But is often caused long toes and short heels. What happens is the flexor tendor(which you can feel behind the fetlock joint) is over extended it puts too much pressureon the navicular bone. A horse with ND will usually stand with their foot pointing out in front of there body with the heel off the ground a little.

It can be a rough deal for the life of the horse. On the shoeing part stand the horse up as much as possible and use wedge pads and heeled shoes. That will relieve the foot. Some people recomend heels for life.

Do you have a Navi. horse? There heels will usually be contracted inward, sometimes nearly touching at the back.

As for ringbone I hardly ever see it. If its a low towards the hoof it usually wont cause longterm lameness. Now if its up high and affects the pastern joint you will have trouble ever getting the horse sound.
Hope this helps.

J&T Farm":e8ca2o95 said:
Hey justagirl. They pretty well covered your first question. As for Navicular Disease you will see it most often in running or jumping horses. But is often caused long toes and short heels. What happens is the flexor tendor(which you can feel behind the fetlock joint) is over extended it puts too much pressureon the navicular bone. A horse with ND will usually stand with their foot pointing out in front of there body with the heel off the ground a little.

It can be a rough deal for the life of the horse. On the shoeing part stand the horse up as much as possible and use wedge pads and heeled shoes. That will relieve the foot. Some people recomend heels for life.

Do you have a Navi. horse? There heels will usually be contracted inward, sometimes nearly touching at the back.

As for ringbone I hardly ever see it. If its a low towards the hoof it usually wont cause longterm lameness. Now if its up high and affects the pastern joint you will have trouble ever getting the horse sound.
Hope this helps.

It does....thank you J&T.

We have a horse that is navicular. We do stand him up high, have not had a bit of trouble with him. Being navicular does not slow him down at all. He is real competitive and you can't touch him when he is working.

thanks again.

J&T,

I would like to learn more about both navicular and ringbone, can you suggest any good books and websites?

thank you.....

Thank you J&T. I have been reading over that website, and will look for that book.

Had my first lesson in trimming early this morning.... Didn't seem too hard, but then again it was just a demo and a lecture. :lol:
Farrier seemed glad, even impressed that I asked and that I wanted to learn how to trim.
He took his time and slowly went through the steps so that I could watch and ask questions. Said that I could do a trim next time while he watches. :shock:
I'm thinking that that I will start out slow and easy until I get a feel for it, and he can correct me while he watches.

Thats good. Its something all horse owners need to know even if they dont want to do it all the time. I have showed(taught) several customers how to trim and they really seemed to appreiciate it. A few even started trimming their own which didnt bother me.

Latest posts