question about winter feed plan.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
So this winter i plan on buying 2wts. Now i know these type of calves need about 12- 14% protein. So my question is feed Soybean hay with a protein tub and some feed or just feed alfalfa hay? Also about how much protein is in a bale of alfalfa hay? and about how much? thanks

I think you may have the wrong idea about early weaned calves nutrition.
Protein is important- but you are still low Need to start at 18% and drop back to 16% after they are on feed real good.
At that size you almost need sBM to supply the protein or you cannot get the energy high enough.
You need to be thinking about keeping the hay down to 10-25% of their diet.
tubs are generally useless at that size.
Calves that size need to be on about the same energy as a finishing ration with higher protein.

Get some 450- 500 lbs calves - they are alot easier to feed and start. And can be done with what you have in mind.

That really depends on your hay(protein and energy varies greatly) and its costs.
Also what feed ingredients you can get/handle and at what costs

Dixieangus":1en3ic27 said:
Thanks howdy. You have any idea about the cost and % of the alfalfa?
I agree with Howdy on the need for the extra protein on the small calves but not necessarily such a high energy feed so I'd feed more of a grower ration. We're growing structure now...now wanting to add too much fat or excessive weight grain. I'd prefer a more mellow feed with a higher fiber level especially if I was going to limit feed hay and it would help to have it medicated with Bovatec (Lasalosid Sodium) or Rumensin (Monensin).

Latest posts