Question about showing Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

SWSFHerefords

Reaction score
I have a heifer that was born on August 15th. I had planned on showing the calf whether it was a bull or heifer but now I am second guessing myself. She will be a nice enough calf but the only thing I am worried about is the heifers white stripe on her neck goes almost all the way down her back! I have never seen a calf with this much white on her back like that. Both of her parents are registered Herefords. So my question is will she be docked in the show ring for having this much white since no other herefords seem to have that much? If so, would it mostly be bigger shows that would dock her or will smaller local fairs do it too?

Here is the best picture I have of her. This was the day after she was born.

HaileyandAspen.jpg

Most judges are probably going to pass the calf by with a lineback. The current "standard" is "short" markings, with little white on the back and legs.

I am only familiar with Angus Phenotype when it comes to markings. My opinion is such that if she is registerable then most likley they will have no problem with it. However if these markings deem her unregisterable then you can plan on not making it any further than check in if you are at a major where Hereford Assn officials are present. In my opinion judges care very little about breed phenotype. They figure if the show let it in the ring then it is ok.

I would probably only take her to the local county fairs. She is registered already. There wont be any Hereford Assn officials there that I know of so I dont see it being a problem that I actually show her. I was just wondering if maybe it comes down to say two heifers that look about alike if they would dock her because of the extra white. I cant seem to find anywhere that it actually says the standard. For example, something like "the desired white should not be behind the shoulder blades" kind of thing. So I thought some of you guys that are more experienced would know more about it.

Have any of you hereford breeders ever had a calf with an unusual amount of white? My friend that is a breeder and national showman in Washington said it is pretty rare for that to happen.

I have a cow with the same thing, white to nearly the tailhead and have had a heifer in the past that was white from neck to tail.

Can't comment on how the show ring will deal with it. I don't think it matters if she is the best in the ring otherwise.

It isn't very common, but it is a foundation mark of the breed. Read up on the history of the Hereford breed and you'll find out that linebacks and freckles are pillars of the breed. They just are selected against in today's world for no valid reason. She is a good looking calf and I would keep her. :cowboy:

Oh I will be keeping her Aaron thats for sure. :) I dont know if you remember the post I posted a while back about my cows but if I remember right you liked my cow Aspen. Well thats her in the picture this is her first heifer calf. She was a big thing thats for sure. Scared me too death. But mom and baby were both fine. I will have to look it up and see what I can find about the lineback marking. Thanks for telling me about that!

the true markings of a hereford have a short feather. Now on the other hand we have raised and shown hereford cattle since I was 7, Im now 21, our family is very involved in the hereford assiocation. while i have seen some bulls throw a few calves with black spot, and yes i said BLACK spots.. Its some where wayyyy down the line that an angus was introduced. the kids that showed them have never been judge for the random markings, its just sometime the DNA gets a little off. with that being said that shouldnt be judging you about the markings, just the calf!!

depends the judge as to whether they discriminate on coat colours that different from the ideal. Including linebacks, rednecks, brockle faces etc.

Many judges do not care, and judge the animal on its merit and the beef phenotype it displays.

However, there are some traditional judges that will not look at an animal which they deem 'mismarked'.

I would still show her if she was mine

Good luck with her :)

I'mnot quite sure how they judge herefords where you farm but in Ireland and the UK the lineback would be seen as a slight negative to an animal in general. Eg. if you had an outstanding heifer and she had clearly superior conformation, the lineback would be overlooked but if it was a tight call most judges WOULD penalise the heifer with the lineback. Some judges then can be very traditional and would be very hard on the lineback and might put you down the line, however the majority wouldnt be that harsh. Personally i wouldnt be that hard on a lineback on a bull/hfr (i know of some in past-present that have bred v-well, though i suppose for a pedigree breeder anyway you'd rather it wouldnt take hold in your herd. Marking in Herefords (and most breeds) is somewhat cyclical and can change. Herefords over here at present must be dark red with adequate white in the right places. Anything too pale, or overly white-or not enough white,will usually be penalised in a competitive arena.

Latest posts