Question about heifer??

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl

Reaction score
I have a 7 mo. old heifer,weighs about 800 lbs. She is eating great,clean surroundinngs,fresh water access to a paddock for turn out, she is healthy and recently wormed. A month ago she was getting10 lbs. of 12% grain-a day 2 feedings. The grain was corn,oats,cottonseed hulls,molasses,minerals,vitamins.All the hay she wants orchard grass, timothymix. She became very loose, cut her grain back to 5lbs.a day-She had little better manure ,tried to get her back up to speed, slowly,but no mater how much or little grain she eats and she loves to eat. She is loose as a goose!!! Does any one have any advise? I have raised alot of cattle but this is a real puzzle. Thankx DDC

cowgirl":gxuyaffv said:
I have a 7 mo. old heifer,weighs about 800 lbs. She is eating great,clean surroundinngs,fresh water access to a paddock for turn out,
What is in the paddock that you turn her out in??

Sounds like you might want to consider hitting her with Probios. At 1% of her body weight, she should not be getting more than 8 lbs of grain a day, at 2% she should not be getting more than 16 lbs. Sounds like you may have overfed a little too early and she can't handle it. The Probios will help to re-introduce the good bacteria that may have been partially wiped out by the scours. Just my thoughts.

I have been giving her probias once a day.
The paddock has some grass, It is cold here so the grass has been frosted and snowed on. I turn her out in the afternoon, after the frost is gone. I thought the grass was the problem and maybe it is . But she was in all day yesterday and loose this a.m.

Just how loose is she...a little loose, squirts, or can hit a pail five feet behind her. I have found that, just like people, what is normal for one is loose for another.
I maintain that if it forms some resemblance to a patty then I wouldn't worry; IMO your heifer is getting way to many groceries...fat girls are not popular with the boys come spring time and I don't like making more manure than is necessary. I'd cut back on the grain until you can find a level that is suitable for your heifer. Are you growing this animal for show, replacement or your freezer. Good luck...Dave Mc

10 lbs. twice a day? Sounds like you started her out kinda rich. Try more grass hay maybe? Probios is a good idea too.

The 10 lbs, was 5 lbs. am and 5 lbs. pm I gradually worked her up to 10 lbs. Now she is getting 5 lbs total. 2.5 a.m. 2.5 p.m. all the grass hay she wants, which is very stemmy and 1 flake of orchard grass twice a day. Most people would think her manure is ok, at least it doesn't fall through the straw. It looks like a grown cow patty, often a little looser. But I like to see firm poop!!!! But she eats great and chews her cud and has plenty of energy. I am trying to figure out what amount of feed agrees w/ her the best. She is a replacement heifer and she is in w/ another heifer. Getting the same feed and has good manure. I know I worry too much about it. I know they are not all the same. Thank you for the replies.

Maybe substituting some whole oats for her feed might help tighten her up. If you have a 7 mth old calf that's 800 lbs. that's a good calf , take care of her.

Cowgirl, looks like you are doing a good job. Cattle should be able to eat 3% of their body weight in grain without making them sick. If her manure is looser lately, she must be getting higher protein. Either from the grass or from the hay. I would not worry about what you described. The only way their manure will be "firm" is if they are receiving too low a protein.
As others stated, you do not want to get her FAT. If she weighs 800# at 7 months, she is ahead of schedule, so watch for fat pockets on each side of her tail head, briskette & udder area and adjust feed as needed. You want to grow her, not fatten her up.

As Jeanne said, you don't want to overfatten a heifer unless she is being raised for beef. 12% feed is usually too high in energy for a heifer, and results in overfattening. I like to use a little higher protein and lower energy feed for heifers. Adding oats to the mix in place of corn is an easy way to do this. If she has the gobs of fat on either side of her tail head as Jeanne said, cut her back.

Thank you all for the replies, they are very helpful. She doesn't have any fat pockets by her tail head, thank goodness!! She is an easy keeper, that is what we all like to have.I have cut her feed back to 11% protein, added more oats and less corn. She is finially getting better manure. We are having dramatic weather changes, yeaterday it was 74 today it is 23 and she has a ton of hair. I just sold an 8 mo. old maine bull calf and he weighs 930 lbs. Thanks again-Cowgirl