Question about feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

kbhblazer

Reaction score
I have 8 cows 1 bull, 7 soon to be 8 calves. I just got into cattle in march and like every one else having to feed, I'm in north east texas no rain . I have them on 38 acres and little grass left. I started feeding them bail of alfalfa on odd days and 2 lbs of 20% cubes per cow on even days. Is that enough or not. Also with these calves ranging form 6 mounths to a couple of weeks what or when do I need to vaccinate the calves and with what .
Thanks

Yes, you need to vaccinate the calves. You at least need a Blackleg vaccine. Get in touch with a large animal vet in your area and work out a vaccination program for your herd. They should be able to supply you with what you need.

As far as the feeding goes is there any chance you could post a pic of your pasture and cows? How much do the bales of Alfalfa weigh? And do you have a test on it to show protein and nutrient levels?

The bales are about 60 lbs, good proten content hay and 20% protien cubes. Is this enough whith the little grass that I have?

kbhblazer":cl618jyn said:
The bales are about 60 lbs, good proten content hay and 20% protien cubes. Is this enough whith the little grass that I have?

we don't know how much grass you are talking about - doubt if a bale every other day is gonna make much difference for that many animals. probably need that twice a day at least, if by "little grass" you mean none.

cows need about 2.5% of their body weight in decent protien forage.
how do the cows look, do they look thin, hips showing, how many ribs can you count ?

kbhblazer,
If you watch your cattle, their grazing habits you will be able to tell if they are satisfied with what they are eating. Also, how do the cows look, especially the ones with bigger calves. As has already been said, how may ribs do you see? If only a couple they are probably ok. More than that they probably aren't getting enough to eat. We will be weaning calves early due to drought.

There is a good article on the main CT page about grazing habits. Take a look at that.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

The cows look good really , as for grass on the 11 acres I have them on there is a lot of shade and I still have some green grass, it short but it is there. I have the other cows on 28 acres and it brown as all get out but some grass, short , can be seen. The cows are split, 4 cows and 3calves, one bull on 11 acres and 4 cows and 3 calves on the other 28 acres.

If you have any green you are fortunate. Do some searches and read some articles on body condition scoring. That will tell you where your cattle need to be.

Farmgirl

Latest posts