Question about aborting

Help Support CattleToday:

LimousinGirl

Reaction score
2 days ago the neighbors bull obviously wanted a wife...yep, he pushed through the fence. Funny though, the whole 3 or 4 yrs since we really started getting into this he's not came over once. Guess he decided it's been long enough. Now, this bull...well, lets just say it's not the best bull in the world. :) Anyway, one of the Lim. cows was in heat, and I'm quite sure that he bred her. So I wanted to ask a few questions about aborting. We haven't quite decided what we're gonna do yet, I'd like to just "have the vet take care of it" but my brother's not sure. I know aborting is done alot...so, how long does it take her to come back into heat after you abort the calf? Is there a chance that she won't get bred back easily? I don't really like the idea of aborting, but since it happened to be this certain bull...well...I kinda like to have a better calf outta this cow next year. :)

-LG

LimousinGirl":3jit5v6b said:
2 days ago the neighbors bull obviously wanted a wife...yep, he pushed through the fence. Funny though, the whole 3 or 4 yrs since we really started getting into this he's not came over once. Guess he decided it's been long enough. Now, this bull...well, lets just say it's not the best bull in the world. :) Anyway, one of the Lim. cows was in heat, and I'm quite sure that he bred her. So I wanted to ask a few questions about aborting. We haven't quite decided what we're gonna do yet, I'd like to just "have the vet take care of it" but my brother's not sure. I know aborting is done alot...so, how long does it take her to come back into heat after you abort the calf? Is there a chance that she won't get bred back easily? I don't really like the idea of aborting,[you are not really aborting at this stage as it is just an embryo] but since it happened to be this certain bull...well...I kinda like to have a better calf outta this cow next year. :)

-LG

LimosinGirl it really is quite simple at this stage.
Wait at least 6 more days and then give her 2 cc's of estrumate, she will be ready to breed next heat which could be 3- 14 days later.
She will be fine and should have no problems settling.
I am suggesting the drug I have most experience with and having this happen a couple of times already ,who new one of my beef bulls was a high jumper???? He jumped 6 foot panels and wreaked havoc on my expensive Holstein flush cows...
Wait at least 8-10 days after possible breed date and estrumate ,,I have also AI'd at next seen heat with success.

Wait 10 days and give a shot of lute.

That will make it all go away. Cost about 4 bucks and with a dud bull its the cheapest money you will ever spend....

Just give her a shot of Lutalyse in 7-8 days and she'll come back into heat in 24-72 hours. The embryo has barely reached the uterus at that point and not even implanted, so all you're doing is just causing her to come back into estrus. Not sure "aborting" is even the right word at this point.

Might want to pen her up after giving Lute so the neighbor's bull doesn't come visiting again. :p

hillsdown":24rjdul5 said:
LimousinGirl":24rjdul5 said:
2 days ago the neighbors bull obviously wanted a wife...yep, he pushed through the fence. Funny though, the whole 3 or 4 yrs since we really started getting into this he's not came over once. Guess he decided it's been long enough. Now, this bull...well, lets just say it's not the best bull in the world. :) Anyway, one of the Lim. cows was in heat, and I'm quite sure that he bred her. So I wanted to ask a few questions about aborting. We haven't quite decided what we're gonna do yet, I'd like to just "have the vet take care of it" but my brother's not sure. I know aborting is done alot...so, how long does it take her to come back into heat after you abort the calf? Is there a chance that she won't get bred back easily? I don't really like the idea of aborting,[you are not really aborting at this stage as it is just an embryo] but since it happened to be this certain bull...well...I kinda like to have a better calf outta this cow next year. :)

-LG

LimosinGirl it really is quite simple at this stage.
Wait at least 6 more days and then give her 2 cc's of estrumate, she will be ready to breed next heat which could be 3- 14 days later.
She will be fine and should have no problems settling.
I am suggesting the drug I have most experience with and having this happen a couple of times already ,who new one of my beef bulls was a high jumper???? He jumped 6 foot panels and wreaked havoc on my expensive Holstein flush cows...
Wait at least 8-10 days after possible breed date and estrumate ,,I have also AI'd at next seen heat with success.

Hills,

You beat me to it!!!
Good job. ;-)

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll let my brother decide what he wants to do for sure, it's his cow. :) And thanks for always being faithful to answer all these questions from us beginners you've probably answered so many times before. :D

-LG

Forgot to ask earlier...IF we were to give her either one of these shots, what if she wasn't pregnant, would the shot hurt her? Or should we test to make sure she is preg. before we give it to her.

All the lutalyse/estramate will do is cause her to cycle a couple of days after the shot.

Latest posts