Queensland Itch

Help Support CattleToday:

Sea-Cow

Reaction score
hey guys
do you guys no any remedy for queensland itch my grandmother's horse has had it for about a year now and we can't get rid of it. We have tried a lot fo things but nothing seems to be working any ideas would be great thanks.

Sea-Cow

I may be wrong, but I think she is refering to what is called scrathes. Is it on or around the top of the hoof? If so let me know. I have a treatment for it.

I wondered the same thing and thought it could be sctratches, rain rot, or summer girth itch.........

woops sorry guys keep forgetting this isn't an aussie web site ok well queensland itch is nothing like what you guys have said. Queensland itch is causes by a midge that causes swollen areas where it is and scabs all alond the back following the spine from the ears to the tail though i am quite sure you would not know about it.

I would use a fly spray on the horse everyday. At least once a day if not twice. I don't know what you have available down there but find a good one. I would also talk to your vet about a possible steroid injection to help with the skin. And a good bath once a week until the condition is cleared up. Also anti-histamine's may help as well. I have a mare that is allergic to flies and has a similar condition minus the itching part.

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/sto ... ry_no=1229

good luck

Hello fello aussie, however I am originally from America, Queensland Itch is like Rain Rot in America, it is a fungal Infection...it appears usually on the saddle part of the horse as well as on the neck, can affect any area really....My little miniture suffers from it as well, and the one thing I found works is I rug her year round...in the rainy season I use water proof coats and in summer the cooler light weight covers. I also spray with a pump antibacterial spray...you can get it at "Horseland" stores. Its about 15 dollars a bottle...excellent stuff...her sores are all gone and now she is a happy lil philie...The coat helps prevent bugs bitting her and her scratching..Once the sores disappear you wont get anymore outbreaks. Rugging works heaps....Good luck...One note: When I first started the treatment I got the Doctor to give her Cortizone tablets to help relieve the severe itching she had until it started to clear up...she is off them now and hasnt had to have them since....just an idea...

i have had alot of hosrse with qld itch its caused by an ellergic reaction to mosquitos/sand flys. to prevent use fly spray at night and rug. to cure itch u must use a specially formulated itch shampoo you will find at horseland and your local produce store, a TEA TREE OIL shanpoo works best.

Qhit Itch Lotion,great stuff ,distributed by Pharmachem,Level 5 ,167 Eagle st.Brisbane.14.95 a bottle,it will be the best money you ever spent.Been around for 20 years ,bought a bottle last month,all fixed now.

anne":2i7sxcpz said:
Qhit Itch Lotion,great stuff ,distributed by Pharmachem,Level 5 ,167 Eagle st.Brisbane.14.95 a bottle,it will be the best money you ever spent.Been around for 20 years ,bought a bottle last month,all fixed now.

Can you tell us Americans how to order this product?
Thank YOu

Latest posts