quarters fill one at a time

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
First time I've ever seen this. First calf heifer - quarters filling one at a time as calving approaches. Strange. Anyone else seen it?

Haven't seen any errant sucking but . . .

I did wean the calves this week so if that was a problem, maybe it will stop.

Mastitis was my main thought too only the occasions when I've seen mastitis the quarter has been more round and hard. Once I get weaning done maybe I'll get her in the chute here and have a squeeze.

angus9259":1p9apxt0 said:
Haven't seen any errant sucking but . . .

I did wean the calves this week so if that was a problem, maybe it will stop.

Mastitis was my main thought too only the occasions when I've seen mastitis the quarter has been more round and hard. Once I get weaning done maybe I'll get her in the chute here and have a squeeze.
If you just weaned the calf she's still producing milk. Lack of nursing and some low grade grazing should take care of it. Put her in the chute and hand milk her one time in a few days just to get her cleaned out. If there is no swelling, no lumps or flakes in the milk she should be ok.

TexasBred":31e1m2k1 said:
If you just weaned the calf she's still producing milk. Lack of nursing and some low grade grazing should take care of it. Put her in the chute and hand milk her one time in a few days just to get her cleaned out. If there is no swelling, no lumps or flakes in the milk she should be ok.

She's a bred heifer - didn't pull a calf off her. Had my dairy friend take a look at her. He said it "could be" mastitis but suggested since she's due on a couple weeks to let her calve and see what happens then. He kinda wondered if the other quarters were simply going to be underproducers more so than the full ones having mastitis.

angus9259":358jfspc said:
TexasBred":358jfspc said:

She's a bred heifer - didn't pull a calf off her. Had my dairy friend take a look at her. He said it "could be" mastitis but suggested since she's due on a couple weeks to let her calve and see what happens then. He kinda wondered if the other quarters were simply going to be underproducers more so than the full ones having mastitis.
Sorry...saw you say you weaned the calves and assumed she was one of the mothers. If she's due in a couple of weeks it's normal for them to start developing an udder with fluids.

Latest posts