Quarantine time

Help Support CattleToday:

I assume you vaccinated 2 weeks ago also. 2 weeks is plenty in my opinion. My opinion and 50cent will get you a cup of coffee.

When we were still bringin in outside stuff I tried for 30 days. That was the vets recommendation

Named'em Tamed'em":26405wgi said:
Ultrabac 8 and pour on wormer
FWIW-
Poor on will not do anything but help with flys and lice. Don't count on it for worming. Ultrabac 8 does not take care of IBR and BVD or lepto.
What is your vets protocol for your area? That is what I would check and follow. Your vet is the best resource for what is common in your area.

branguscowgirl":2f7964hz said:
Named'em Tamed'em":2f7964hz said:
FWIW-
Poor on will not do anything but help with flys and lice. Don't count on it for worming. Ultrabac 8 does not take care of IBR and BVD or lepto.
What is your vets protocol for your area? That is what I would check and follow. Your vet is the best resource for what is common in your area.
Gonna have to disagree with you on the wormer. . pour on has worked well. Cydectin

TexasBred":1wc3pi0o said:
branguscowgirl":1wc3pi0o said:
Named'em Tamed'em":1wc3pi0o said:
FWIW-
Gonna have to disagree with you on the wormer. . pour on has worked well. Cydectin
Awe TB I am disappointed! (Kidding)
Just playing "Devils advocate" here....But how do you know that "Cydectin works well"? What is the evidence? I am not from the "show me state," but my dad was. (Close enough?)
Seriously, I am open to change my opinion. :D

The standard quarantine period across the board for any species is 30 days. Some diseases can take even longer than that to appear, but if you worrried about that then you'd pretty much have to quarantine for the life of the animal. Some people say that two weeks is sufficient. If you like to gamble, then go for it. I always try to do 30 days.

Cydectin and dectomax should have roughly the same efficacy regardless of if they are pour on or injectable. BI makes Cydectin and their technical vets will actually claim studies have shown pour on to be slightly more efficacious then injectable, likely linked to cattle licking the product off each others backs after application and therefore receiving an oral dose.

Remember that both products have poor efficacy against lice, so a generic ivermectin is commonly also given for lice control. Your generic ivermectin is not a good product for internal parasites. If you have feeders or replacements, they deserve something better.

There was a really good post on here with a video of a vet that discussed the "in effectiveness" of pour on wormers. My vets (3 of them) agree. When the vets won't depend on them, I won't either.

branguscowgirl":4r27vunc said:
There was a really good post on here with a video of a vet that discussed the "in effectiveness" of pour on wormers. My vets (3 of them) agree. When the vets won't depend on them, I won't either.

I will not have a pour on wormer IMO like yours they suck.

My vet uses and recommends Cydectin as one of the dewormers in rotation along with Valbazen and Long Range. If its good enough for him, its good enough for me.

My vet recommends Cydectin as well. We used pour on with my neighbors cattle this year after many years of not using anything, one application and there was a very noticeable change. I don't know what it took care of but it made a world of difference for his cows.

Named'em Tamed'em":31waf8tn said:
Brought home a couple heifers 2 weeks ago, and put them in quarantine. Everything looks fine no runny noses or cough. How long you leave them separated.

Depends.
Pneumonia can be a quick killer. Sometimes the stress of turning them out with a new herd will bring it on. Did you vaccinate for it?
I would wait 21 days after the pneumonia (and other) vaccinations.