quail

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of critters like to eat quail and their eggs. No doubt the results when a hog happens upon a nest. :devil2:

We have several coveys of wild birds but I manage for them. Diversity is what they need. Small fields, plenty of edge, plenty of disturbance of understory, burning all make for good quail habitiat. Doing little things like mowing the edge of a field for 50 feet then skipping 100 feet then alternating this pattern over a three year period will aid in the diversity. Controlled burns are a must as well. Spreading 2 tons/acre of lime in the woods does wonders also. Game biologist estimated that one farm I have had 1 bird per acre. She was impressed but it didn't come easy. It was worth it though cause you average jumping five coveys in two hours while walking on foot with your dogs. That was too fun. Of course these birds were what we called Mexican quail and are pretty darn hard to hit. Kinda loco in their flight path. A lot more challenging than than pen raised.

I think the fire ants have played havoc with'em from Central Texas all the way to the coast. Really hard to find.