Quadruplets!

Help Support CattleToday:

This is about an hour and a half from me. Its the talk of the town right now. Amazing would be crazy to have that happen.

There was also a thing last year in Nashville, Arkansas where a guy had a cow that had twins and one calf was black out of a Black Angus and the other one was gray out of a Brahma. Had the hump and everything if I remember correctly. They were sired by different bulls.

Circle P Cattle":59e1ay5x said:
That's pretty cool, I had no idea you could have twins with different sires, that's pretty neat

By having polyandrous cows?

He had both bulls in with this cow and both calves were born alive and healthy. Don't know what happened after that with them but it happened. It was really cool when I read about it.

Circle P Cattle":28z0g80i said:
That's pretty cool, I had no idea you could have twins with different sires, that's pretty neat
Last year I had a Char bull and a Blk. Angus bull in with my cows and I had twins from a black cow, one white and the other black. I never really looked into it but I assumed it was only possible if both bulls sired one of the calves.

Circle P Cattle":147yomr7 said:
Really?
I thought it was common knowledge that it has been documented 100s of times.
There is even a documented case in Europe where a mother gave birth to fraternal twins of different races.
The father of one child was black and the father of the other twin was white.

How cool that they all survived! The one with the Jersey foster dam must think it landed in heaven.

I remember hearing about Tarentaise cows having live quads twice in about a 20 year period. Found one online, the other set was from the 90's and up in the Dakotas but I didn't remember enough specifics to find the article.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-r ... 6464b.html

There was another set born in Europe that somebody posted in recent years, too. Might have been quintuplets in that case. So maybe with better communications, it's not so rare as previously thought. Or, by selecting for fertility for all these years, we are maybe starting to get too much of a good thing????

MO_cows":1q81hcdo said:
How cool that they all survived! The one with the Jersey foster dam must think it landed in heaven.

I remember hearing about Tarentaise cows having live quads twice in about a 20 year period. Found one online, the other set was from the 90's and up in the Dakotas but I didn't remember enough specifics to find the article.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-r ... 6464b.html

There was another set born in Europe that somebody posted in recent years, too. Might have been quintuplets in that case. So maybe with better communications, it's not so rare as previously thought. Or, by selecting for fertility for all these years, we are maybe starting to get too much of a good thing????

Fertility and multiple births is hardly the same thing.

I've got a set of 13 year old twin cows. They have calved every 10 1/2 months throughout their life. Neither cow has had a set of twins herself, but they have produced well.

My wife said they are going to DNA test the quadrulets to make sure it's the real deal.

We have had a handful of twins (not any more than twins in a calving thank goodness), but have one cow family that I like to talk about. I bought a bred yearling in 2008, and she was a twin. They sold her twin sister the same day. Her first calf was a single, second were twins. We sold the heifer off to a buddy that had some grandkids that wanted a bottle calf. Raised the bull, and showed him. Now he is breeding 1/3 of our cows. Last summer, a heifer he had bred had twins. So, this set is 3rd generation twins. Too bad it was a bull and heifer and neither one will be making the cut to stay.

Anyone read anything about the BWs other than the smallest being 25 lbs?
Did I read the article right--that they didn't know momma was 'expecting' or that she was very big?