Puzzled

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I ride the pasture this evening to look at some calves and see how the others were looking. Everyone seems to be ok and some due anytime now in April. As I left my east pasture and ride over to the west side I saw a flock of buzzards in the woods. I got off my mule and walked in to where they were at and found a baby calf that seemed maybe was 1-2 days old, maybe? It was a black calf with a white face. I rode back to where the cows were grazing and everyone that is supposed to be birthing in the next 3-4 weeks appear ok. When I came home this evening I went to check on the cows and this cow that had the smallest calf I've ever had born. He was black and a little white under his belly and weighed about 30 lbs. Now I'm thinking, was this possibly twins? Maybe one was born dead?? The only thing that bothers me is that this particular cow that I suspect is that, when I found her in pasture near the water trough she had this little black small male calf, probably born yesterday. with her. so I didn't look anywhere else. Where she was at near the water trough is probably 200 plus yards from where I found the dead calf. . I don't know how long it takes for buzzards to find one in the woods but the calf was dried up and just stretched out laying on his side. I estimate maybe no more than 1-2 days. Ideas please.