Putting in the order for semen -- British White

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie, I'm in Southwest Va, there are only a couple British White Breeders in our area. I have talked with one and he said he has been very successful selling his calves privately to local farmers. If you can get someone to google British White and read about the marbled beef, docile nature, good milkers, etc they will buy into the British White. It really is all about marketing the breed in my opinion. As mentioned before they are not enough farmers producing British White so buyers at barn sales think the color markings have longhorn in them. Marketing this breed will take several years to school the public on their strengths. Plus they are beautiful animals, I have several calves solid white with red points, some with black points.

Longhorns is the biggest reason why some breeds got docked at the sale barn. Pinzgauer cattle used to be common back in the old days but it's rare to see a purebred Pinzgauer around here and there. Normande cattle are even rare and I was lucky to bought a Normande steer calf for freezer beef and after that one I don't see another normande again for many years.

While we're on the subject of pretty cattle, here's a few pics of calves I had out of a cow. The first she had at 15 months of age - surprise. Then him the next winter - nice hairdo. The second calf was sired by a red angus bull.

djinwa":3grs1e8v said:
While we're on the subject of pretty cattle, here's a few pics of calves I had out of a cow. The first she had at 15 months of age - surprise. Then him the next winter - nice hairdo. The second calf was sired by a red angus bull.

Nice babies!

Taurus":2hgfaywt said:
Longhorns is the biggest reason why some breeds got docked at the sale barn. Pinzgauer cattle used to be common back in the old days but it's rare to see a purebred Pinzgauer around here and there. Normande cattle are even rare and I was lucky to bought a Normande steer calf for freezer beef and after that one I don't see another normande again for many years.

Apparently I live in a rare place.
Neighbor has about 80-100 Pinz and see Normandes at the fairs around.
How was the Normande for beef?

glacierridge":3aruernl said:
What is the carcass like?
We grain/alfalfa finish for 60 days pre-butcher. Our cutter is always impressed with the marbeling on our carcasses. We feed Angus X steers the same way. He likes all of them. The BW's process feed very well. And all our butcher customers are custom orders -- they keep coming back. On one of the BW sites, there's a study done on carcasses. We butcher at about 16 mos.; we don't weigh pre-butcher. Ours normally hang at about 800 lbs. We've done 2 BW cows for burger, and have been chastised both times by our cutter because the carcasses looked better than burger.

have a British White cow that I bred to a black/white linedback mini bucking Bull and got a calf colored exactly like daddy. Same cow bred to a black dexter/lowline Bull produced a solid black calf. This year the cow has a gorgeous Bull calf by a purebred black lowline Bull and it is colored British White identical to momma. If I knew how to post pics here I would???

kitkatcowgirl":3jud45i0 said:
have a British White cow that I bred to a black/white linedback mini bucking Bull and got a calf colored exactly like daddy. Same cow bred to a black dexter/lowline Bull produced a solid black calf. This year the cow has a gorgeous Bull calf by a purebred black lowline Bull and it is colored British White identical to momma. If I knew how to post pics here I would???
I'm not the pic genius! Would love to see your pics, and congrats on your calves.

Latest posts