pushing cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
my 3 dogs are great at holding the cows in a bunch. I am still training my horses so right now I am on foot. how do i teach the dogs to push the cows once they are bunched up? i move them but sure whould like the dogs to push them a bit. thanks.

ps
i have a catahoula, border collie and aust cattle dog.

Don't know about the other two but Border Collies are natural fetchers. To do it with the most success You have to fetch at first then add in the drive.

Are you trying to work all three at the same time? If so with Three dogs with three different styles and none(including you) understanding whats going on---- doesn't seem to me that will work well.

There are some really good herding books,tapes and forums out there to help give you an idea of what to do.

yes they are working together. actually they are moving them from pasture to pasture and penning them up. i want to hear what others are doing. thanks.

Catahoulas are natural "head" dogs. The don't really push... they contain. They will keep a wild cow contained then you have to come in and drive the cattle yourself.

There is an article on here that has some good info about them and how they are used as cow dogs. ;-)

My Blue Lacy is a natural header and most of his breed are bay dogs for wild hogs. He was trained to fetch and drive by a pro trainer. Since he is my first cow dog, I wanted someone to teach the dog and I at the same time.

The trainer used a cane (staff) to block the dog from going around to the front. He used a small pen and had already taught the dog that the cane was the stop sign. Once the calves moved away, the dog wanted to run and head, but the trainer stopped him and kept him on the back. If the calves moved too fast, the trainer said, "Get Around" and let him head the calves. Soon, the dog learned that he was in control, even if he was driving. Headers are worried about losing the herd, but can be effectively trained to drive and should be allowed to head every time the herd gets too far ahead.

Most of training involves giving a command while the dog is doing something you want done.

the border collie should have some balance(stay on the other side of herd from you)the other two you will have to help. you can do this by using a rope or sorting stick.let them bunch the cattle you get on the side toward the pen or where ever you want to go.when a dog comes on your side throw some coils of rope at him or tap stick on ground and say get back or i say stay behind.theyll pick it up quick most of the time.i also use this command when leading making them stay behind me as i lead them. they learn it quick on lead and tranfer it to herd work. you do have a mix of working styles but if the dogs want to work cattle you can train them to be alot of help.the fetching is like this is my side of the herd you stay on your side. i know i can get more done with me and one green pup than with ten people trying to help. most people dont take my comands as good as my dogs do. :p :p (wife mosty)

Latest posts