Purple Martins

Help Support CattleToday:

We used to maintain over 100 gourd-type nesting sites beside a large bass pond and the aerial show that purple martins put on was amazing as they "dive bombed" into mosquitoes or skimmed the pond surface for a quick drink. We have always enjoyed how they "predict" rough weather ahead by their increased activity and loud squeals. And no one can deny their defensive actions against much larger birds that invade their "territory". We laugh all the time as they put crows and hawks on the go in the air. :lol:

Neighbors especially the older ones come over all the time to sit in the porch swings and view the show. We always have many more adult birds than we provide nesting sites but they seem to always congregate at our home and farm.

I guess our interests began years ago as kids and we just enjoy their annual visits that last from about February till July in our area. Cheap entertainment from nature's show....huh?

Our farm just doesn't seem complete without 'em! :nod:

HUS

When I was a kid EVERYONE around here had a Purple Martin house or several. All had birds in them. Now days you hardly ever see them. Now I know why! :mad: :roll: Y'all from Down yonder are short stopping them. :cry2: :stop:
That's why young people upnort don't know what a Purple Martin is.

mnmtranching":3dd4x22v said:
When I was a kid EVERYONE around here had a Purple Martin house or several. All had birds in them. Now days you hardly ever see them. Now I know why! :mad: :roll: Y'all from Down yonder are short stopping them. :cry2: :stop:
That's why young people upnort don't know what a Purple Martin is.

Hey mnmtranching....
Look at it like your glass if half full instead of half empty. We are making efforts to "increase the herd" ;-) down here so that our neighbors up north can see more of 'em.... We can't help it if this is where they enjoy setting up housekeeping and having their little hanky-panky on the side...... ;-) ;-)

The more the merrier...... :tiphat:

Fred":235u8zq4 said:
How many have martin houses? I have two 12 hole houses that I put up each year. They showed up on February 14 this year. I think I have 3 pair so far, hope more are on the way.

I grew up with Martins. The noise don't bother me. They make a dent in the skitter population around her anyway.

Learn something every day. they make that kind of noise??? I guess the need for hearing aids for so many of this years does have a down side. But $4000 they said I need for them....I ain't got.

jcummins":16rd0xk5 said:
Learn something every day. they make that kind of noise??? I guess the need for hearing aids for so many of this years does have a down side. But $4000 they said I need for them....I ain't got.

If they only wanted 4 bucks for them it would be a waste if it was only so you could hear the tweetering martins

Latest posts