Pump trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Replaced a shallow well pump yesterday morning that pumps water from my tank to several troughs and hydrants. The PVC pipe on the suction side. About 12" long had been cut so many times over the years I had to cut a sleeve out. Replaced the gap with a compression repair fitting. Primed the pump and Turned on the power . Immediately picked up and filled every trough on the system. But a slight drip at fitting.
I decided to cut out the old scabbed together stuff and replace with new.
About 2&1/2 feet off plumbing.
I cannot get the pump to pickup. I took the john boat out and checked the foot valve. It's closing and I can suck on it and get it to open. I can take it off pour water in the prime and it runs out. I'm starting to think my new pump is bad......and ideas appreciate d

If I understand correctly it pumped properly immediately after it was replaced, but now won't pump after patching in a fresh piece on the suction side. It would be strange if the pump failed, but I guess stranger things have happened. I'm guessing it needs more priming... when primed does it spit air and water with the primer plug loose?

callmefence said:
M-5 said:
it wont pump after you prime it ??

Right it will pump out it's prime. Bounce the needle on the pressure gauge a few seconds then go dry.

If it will pump out it's prime I would say it's either sucking air or still air between the pump and the foot valve.

callmefence said:
Replaced a shallow well pump yesterday morning that pumps water from my tank to several troughs and hydrants. The PVC pipe on the suction side. About 12" long had been cut so many times over the years I had to cut a sleeve out. Replaced the gap with a compression repair fitting. Primed the pump and Turned on the power . Immediately picked up and filled every trough on the system. But a slight drip at fitting.
I decided to cut out the old scabbed together stuff and replace with new.
About 2&1/2 feet off plumbing.
I cannot get the pump to pickup. I took the john boat out and checked the foot valve. It's closing and I can suck on it and get it to open. I can take it off pour water in the prime and it runs out. I'm starting to think my new pump is bad......and ideas appreciate d
Typical day, a farmer has to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. Probably made in China and done torn up. Hopefully you got it from a reputable dealer/company and can take it back for a refund or swap.

True Grit Farms said:
Bad - cracked pipe or fitting where you fixed the leak?

Kinda
Decided I might as well back track.
As soon as I cut the pipe at the elbow I noticed a little wiggle to the nipple that comes up through a sleeve in the slab. Dug up under till I found where it goes from PVC to poly. The fitting was cracked. Apparently from the gorilla plumber working on it the day before. Thing is it would hold water. The prime I put in yesterday when I quit was still there. But it was apparently sucking air. It's up and running now.

callmefence said:
True Grit Farms said:

Kinda
As soon as I cut the pipe at the elbow I noticed a little wiggle to the nipple that comes up through a sleeve in the slab. Dug up under till I found where it goes from PVC to poly. The fitting was cracked. Apparently from the gorilla plumber working on it the day before. Thing is it would hold water. The prime I put in yesterday when I quit was still there. But it was apparently sucking air. It's up and running now.

It just wanted you to suck on it some more

M-5 said:
callmefence said:
True Grit Farms said:

Kinda

Fence may have sucked a joint loose. My mother was given one of these while in the hospital and when she brought it home I tried it a few times. After some practice I could make it hit the top as you have to have big lungs and a long suction to work it good. It is not easy to do, but it will sure strengthen your lungs.

Spirometer
3336d24a-9e1e-40b1-b417-9866ed9c4f3e_1.ed730c4b66864387292e98b99f142a3c.jpeg

M-5 said:
callmefence said:
True Grit Farms said:

Kinda

If you know of a more dignified way to check a foot valve please let me know

Latest posts