Pulling back a Angus steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
We currently have two 4-H show steers. We just finished showing at the Commonwealth Classic and were suprised at their weights. We weigh them constantly at our local farmers trucking grain scales and they are waaaayyyyy off ( by approx 100 pounds). One of our steers can hold the weight and will probably go to final show around 1425. The other one is a different story. He is short in height and length. he is currently 1240. Im thinking 1300 should be his weight without looking well overfinished. We have 42 days go. He was at 22lbs a day. We are now at 20lb and plan to reduce to 18lbs by weeks end. He is bellowing like no tomm. Anyone know of a filler easily available? Tried to get cotton seed hulls from our local Sou. States but would take 3-4 weeks to get any.. Thanks on any info.

Havent heard of that was just told of the cotton seed hulls thank you. just called 14.50 a hundred. Is it pound for pound, I mean if i wanna maintain his weight would I continue at 22lbs and mix a 50/50? Or do I still have to pull em bck to 18?

I can't answer that because I don't show cattle and im not a nutrition guru like a few others on here you may want to try posing that question under health and nutrition. I don't use that stuff any longer but they wee 6 bucks a bag here.

Beet pulp is a good filler. Expands greatly once consumed. 8% protein, about 40% fiber, no carbs. Some feed it wet, others just feed it dry and let it soak in the rumen.

What is the ratio? If I have a steer at 20lbs a day, 10 in the morn, 10 at night how much beet pulp do I give per feeding?

Lomac":1h74ggjl said:
What is the ratio? If I have a steer at 20lbs a day, 10 in the morn, 10 at night how much beet pulp do I give per feeding?
You can go 50:50 with no problems. Mix the sodium bicarb into the mix before feeding.

Latest posts