Pulled Pork and BBQ sauce

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I've been reading the hog threads and i have an urge for pork with some good BBQ sauce. The problem is i live in Idaho and we don't get good BBQ sauce around here (our one fault) so i have to import it from the Carolinas so i tend to use it sparingly.

If you have to buy stuff from the store ~ Jack Daniels original is the best I've had.

1/2 cup water (you may substitute with honey)
1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup catsup
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 chopped onion Mix all ingredients in a saucepan stir and simmer for one hour.

Here's another:

The Recipe is just the sauce. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE BUTTER (I've tried margerine etc - doesn't work)

Ingredients:
3 ea. 8 oz cans tomato sauce
10 oz of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 lb butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tbl spoon vinegar
2 tbl spoon lemon juice
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned pepper

Directions:
Combine ingredients in any order in medium size pot. Use sufficient heat to melt butter and brown sugar while stirring to mix ingedients well. After things are mixed allow it to simmer for 30 minutes. The longer you let it simmer, the better. 30 minutes is about the minimum. You can add a bit more brown sugar or honey at any point if you like it a bit sweeter for kids.

Here's the one I use.

1c. ketchup (Sorry Guys)
3/4c. brown sugar
1/4c. chopped onion
1/2t. liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder
Combine all the ingreidents in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.

Beef11 Cool Will these recipes work for wild hog camp meat? Very Happy

We could be in a bind if they don't. I did get some pork ribs yesterday, i had to sneak into the basement and get out a bottle of the good sauce.

I told my wife i was going hog hunting for a couple months she said "don't you mean in a couple months" i replied "nope". She threw a glare at me.

Beef11":ajxrts14 said:
Beef11 Cool Will these recipes work for wild hog camp meat? Very Happy

We could be in a bind if they don't. I did get some pork ribs yesterday, i had to sneak into the basement and get out a bottle of the good sauce.

I told my wife i was going hog hunting for a couple months she said "don't you mean in a couple months" i replied "nope". She threw a glare at me.

We're gonna have to find out what the limit is on hogs :?
If there isn't a limit :roll: might take us a while to get done :cboy:

in NC there is what we called a vinegar based sauce,and a Ketchup based sauce .Most folks like the vinegar based better . Down here everybody takes pride in thier own "Homemade sauce " and secret recips.The store bought sauces cannot touch the homemade recipes of most of the backyard experts here in NC .

polledbull":1w4xdmnu said:
The store bought sauces cannot touch the homemade recipes of most of the backyard experts here in NC .

Texas either. Good sauce is expensive to make. I make mine different for different occasions. For instance if there are going to be kids at a back yard Bar-B-Que, there will be a bit milder and slightly sweeter version for them.

Risky's Bar-B-Que makes sauce you can buy at their stores that is not bad.

Bodacious (my third cousins started that chain and many run one of the franchise restaurants) Bar-B-Que sauce can be bought at their stores and it is not bad. But each store varies their sauces.

Baked beans are the big secret for me. I aint telling my methodology :lol: Everyone wants to know it. It took me years to perfect it.

I can make the afterburner Bar-B-Que sauce but someone let me in on the secret, that I cannot reveal. Put it in your mouth and it is sweet. A while later you start feeling the heat.

backhoeboogie":1eb73bpg said:
polledbull":1eb73bpg said:
The store bought sauces cannot touch the homemade recipes of most of the backyard experts here in NC .

Texas either. Good sauce is expensive to make. I make mine different for different occasions. For instance if there are going to be kids at a back yard Bar-B-Que, there will be a bit milder and slightly sweeter version for them.

Risky's Bar-B-Que makes sauce you can buy at their stores that is not bad.

Bodacious (my third cousins started that chain and many run one of the franchise restaurants) Bar-B-Que sauce can be bought at their stores and it is not bad. But each store varies their sauces.

Baked beans are the big secret for me. I aint telling my methodology :lol: Everyone wants to know it. It took me years to perfect it.

I can make the afterburner Bar-B-Que sauce but someone let me in on the secret, that I cannot reveal. Put it in your mouth and it is sweet. A while later you start feeling the heat.

Common Backhoe, let us in on your secret. You can trust us. Its just those dang people we tell who can't keep the secret. :lol:

I made a sauce a few years ago from scratch for Memorial Day. Adding a bit of this and a bit of that. Everyone that ate the ribs I cooked said it was the best they ever had. The sauce was perfect. It pleased those who like it hot as well as those who like it sweet. Unfotunately, I didn't write anything down when I made it and I couldn't replicate it is my life depended on it.

I had pulled pork last night for dinner. With some sauce by "sticky fingers" it was called "tennesse whiskey". I couldn't complain. I've got four hogs growing so i need to start building my own sauce.

Latest posts