pulled my first calf (PIC)

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
I pulled my first calf yesterday - all by myself - I'm sooooo proud :D mama just needed a little help getting this long legged boy out
P4020197.jpg

Congratulations on the live calf. Hopefully this was your first calf to pull and not you having to pull your very first calf! ;-)

1848":17c9d7nz said:
Congratulations on the live calf. Hopefully this was your first calf to pull and not you having to pull your very first calf! ;-)

actually the first one that I did it - the others I've watched my Dad - but he wasn't around and I knew she needed help

mdmdogs3":1gxdjqdf said:
1848":1gxdjqdf said:

actually the first one that I did it - the others I've watched my Dad - but he wasn't around and I knew she needed help

Good for you! Bet Dad was proud! They key to this though is getting the type cows and bulls working in your herd so that you won't have to worry about pulling them. :) ;-)

Calf looks good

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3mbqdvru said:
Good calf. I agree with 1848 you some genetics in your herd to where you will have to pull few to none. I have 41 cows and all calved unassisted this year. I know now that as long as there is no malpresentation that I shouldnt have any dystocia issues.

Easy there Maw! You might confuse the kid with words! :D

guess I should say that the others were over a period of years - this is the second this year - and we no longer have the bull due to the size of the babies :roll:

1848":8tqmyezz said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":8tqmyezz said:
Good calf. I agree with 1848 you some genetics in your herd to where you will have to pull few to none. I have 41 cows and all calved unassisted this year. I know now that as long as there is no malpresentation that I shouldnt have any dystocia issues.

thanks - it's been many many years since I was called kid :p :p

mdmdogs3":1awxz7rb said:
1848":1awxz7rb said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1awxz7rb said:

thanks - it's been many many years since I was called kid :p :p

Still at home too huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

1848":2ugb6csv said:
Still at home too huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
nope - followed the folks where they had moved - trying to save the 1860's homestead now that my parents are getting too old to do it themselves (they took over from an uncle) - loving every minute of my learning process.

mdmdogs3, it's a good feeling, isn't it? I had to pull one all by myself once (about scared me to death) so I understand how you feel. Congratulations! The calf is very nice!

mdmdogs3,

Yes cattle ranching is a business and almost all of the cattle we handle will eventually supply the food chain, but I wanted to give you a special congratulations: Not because you saved the CALF, but because YOU saved the calf. It's a great feeling when a person makes the difference in a live born calf.

Latest posts