Pull or Push

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Does a team of horses, harnessed, collared, traced to a double tree that is chained to a log:

Pull the log?
Or
Push the log?

Who can support the concept that they actually push the log?

The only thing the horses are pushing is the collar and/or breast strap.
Everything behind that is being pulled..indirectly by the animal and directly by the collar/breast straps, trace and chain.

I don't know how they do things in Kentucky, but in Texas most people won't try to get anything done by pushing a chain.

My dad loved this argument. His passion was pulling horses. He never missed a horse pulling contest. He would go out to the staging area and start this argument just to aggravate everyone. All the contestants knew him. In fact, there was not a horse he couldn't shoe. Most of these teams are gentle but some of these horses he had to throw to get them shod.

Yes. A team pushes against the collar. That is where the trace chain attaches. He always argued that a team pushes the load.

Bright Raven":kbg7jud0 said:
My dad loved this argument. He always argued that a team pushes the load.
Appears the troublemaker gene does not skip a generation. :)

On another boring note The Teamsters Trucker Union of today was started in early 1900 unionizing cargo moved by teams of horses. Mostly a criminal organization until 1910 then fairly clean until 1950.

Here is a little true story that is funny. Years ago a man in the community was plowing a little rain storm came up and he tied the team at the end of the row and ran to the house to get out of the rain. Two prankster boys shorten the trace chains. They watched and finally said to the man the your team is hitting the single trees with the back of their lags. The man said See I don't know maybe the rain shrank the trace chains. When the dry maybe they will be okay.

hurleyjd":3s95kevq said:
Here is a little true story that is funny. Years ago a man in the community was plowing a little rain storm came up and he tied the team at the end of the row and ran to the house to get out of the rain. Two prankster boys shorten the trace chains. They watched and finally said to the man the your team is hitting the single trees with the back of their lags. The man said See I don't know maybe the rain shrank the trace chains. When the dry maybe they will be okay.

A relative is in health care. A gentleman patient inquired one day about some burning "down there" and wondered if it was connected to his reflux in his throat. The innards being just one big "tube" I guess :shock:

I'll never forget my pious grandfather singing me "The Old Gray Mare" song when I was a kid. I don't think my eyes have even been wider.

The one thing I miss about New England the most is the animal pulls. There's nothing like a 6,000 lb team picking up the boat when they drop the hitch on a 13,000lb load. The earth shakes when the boat comes back down.

Supa Dexta":26hzs80t said:
So who else has a team?

https://z77i.imgup.net/20150130_11f49.jpg

Brown fella actually died a couple weeks back, now have a matching set of blacks.

Man, I love a team of horses.

I am going over to the old home place. Dad had 20 different horse drawn implements. His last Christmas gift to me was a horse drawn sled. He made box bed wagons and painted the sides with pictures of flowers, grain and farm images. I will take pictures and post them.

Supa Dexta":134ak2ty said:
So who else has a team?

Brown fella actually died a couple weeks back, now have a matching set of blacks.

Pretty harness! Sorry to hear the brown died.

I used to drive a real nice team of Percherons, grays. Hooked to a farm wagon, loved hearing the chains clinking as we went along. :)

Workinonit Farm":15wjlik9 said:
Supa Dexta":15wjlik9 said:
So who else has a team?

I used to drive a real nice team of Percherons, grays. Hooked to a farm wagon, loved hearing the chains clinking as we went along. :)

The sounds are like music.

Bright Raven":38tzwwys said:
Workinonit Farm":38tzwwys said:
Supa Dexta":38tzwwys said:
So who else has a team?

The sounds are like music.

:nod: :nod:

Weighed them a few weeks back, they were 1920 and 1925.

Can hardly even give a grey away around here, no on wants them, cancer reasons - can't go for meat.

Latest posts