PTO?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Finished cutting hay with my New Holland T4.75 & New Holland 1409 Discbine now the PTO will not come off. I even had a come-along on it pulling?? I just slid it out for now. So, I could start loading/hauling hay. Could the pto shaft hook up be broken inside never had this issue before. Any input I'd be greatful. B&G
:deadhorse:

Pin could be broke. Get a pic of it. If its the push button type there is a roll pin that holds the button/pin that allows you to change the spring and pin out

M5farm":3i5a9jk6 said:
Pin could be broke. Get a pic of it. If its the push button type there is a roll pin that holds the button/pin that allows you to change the spring and pin out

Thanks for reply. Actually its the collar you pull back type. And while I was cutting I guess that Plastic collar disappeared. But, I wouldn't think that should matter. B&G

If I'm not mistaken the collar type have 3 ball bearings in them. The collar is not sliding back far enough.

I have a plastic collar on one PTO that used to just slide back and disengage, now it needs to be twisted and pulled back. Another is just a straight pull back type. The plastic is actually the activating mechanism in both of them for both engaging and disengaging.

dun":kxqnqo5z said:
I have a plastic collar on one PTO that used to just slide back and disengage, now it needs to be twisted and pulled back. Another is just a straight pull back type. The plastic is actually the activating mechanism in both of them for both engaging and disengaging.
So, dun are you thinking that plastic collar missing is the problem? I just thought it was just something to grab ahold of. B&G

Black and Good":ri7cqy7j said:
dun":ri7cqy7j said:
So, dun are you thinking that plastic collar missing is the problem? I just thought it was just something to grab ahold of. B&G
Yup, that;s what I'm thinking. The ugly part is on one of mine it was easy to fix, the otehr one would need to be removed before you could put a new collar and catch mechanism on it.

dun":1blk480k said:
Black and Good":1blk480k said:
dun":1blk480k said:
Yup, that;s what I'm thinking. The ugly part is on one of mine it was easy to fix, the otehr one would need to be removed before you could put a new collar and catch mechanism on it.

Any Ideals on how to get it off? :bang: B&G

look and see if there is a snap ring or some kind of retaining ring on the very end. If there take it off and the ring can slid forward and the balls will come out. Then you should be able to take the shaft off and do what ever kind of repair as needed.

If it has the plastic collar it will eventual fail, or at least the ones I know have. The plastic came apart on my baler coupler last week, same thing with my neighbors coupler the week before. His was under warranty, mine cost $275 to replace with one that had a cast iron collar. These are on newer machines and always disconnected great until the plastic came apart.

On my baler I noticed the shaft had slid farther up on the shaft than normal. The ball bearings were not being held by the dysfunctional solar.

circlew":14qu29vf said:
Call your dealer there is a recall on the pto shaft on the tractor. Just got ours back.

Thanks for that info. I just googled it and didn't find anything. I'll call them in the morning. B&G

Black and Good":aouihm6q said:
M5farm":aouihm6q said:

Thanks for reply. Actually its the collar you pull back type. And while I was cutting I guess that Plastic collar disappeared. But, I wouldn't think that should matter. B&G

I absolutely hate those.

Black and Good":1qwelna9 said:
Thanks. I don't know how I'm going to get to that if it won't come off. B&G :bang:
That's the resons I had to get it off before I could fix it.